IGNORED

[Not Mine] Guy finds two full cases of Game Boy Wave Race carts, shipped for packing

RH

This has blown my mind.  Although it now all makes since to me, Nintendo apparently manufactured GB games, packed them in their dust covers and then shipped them out to other facilities for factory sealing in their boxes.

These cases each contain 300 pcs. of Wave Races.  Typical Nintendo packaging box too.  I assume they manufactured and packed these boxes in Japan and, in this case, shipped them to a boxing/sealing facility in Europe.  I've never seen anything like this and I think it's super-cool.  I also spoke with the guy and, apparently, he bought these from a guy who had bought a bunch of stuff in a storage facility which had been locked shut since 1992.  It makes me wonder if these were hot, or something.  Anyway, the seller was going to chuck them, but when he saw Nintendo on the box, he put them of FB Marketplace.  The original seller had 3 cases.  He's selling the Wave Races from one box, one at a time, while he sold the Instagram guy the two other cases.

• Like 1
  • Wow! 2

Just now, drxandy said:

This is so cool, I love seeing the history here (never realized that it was a bulk ship then assembled at location, but makes sense to lower shipping costs)

Thanks for sharing!!

That was exactly my thought.  I mean, there was no way that Nintendo would have, or even could have, manufactured all of the parts to make up a fully assembled and sealed game.  However, I assumed they had the raw boards shipped to a facility and, then, they border were flashed and etched with the details, and then the shell, case, box, etc. were all assembled in the same place.  However, boxes are a lot of space with little weight, plus shipping games to Europe or the US means they could source printing locally of those boxes would also be cheaper.

Again, it all makes sense, but I'd never even considered it that way.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, drxandy said:

This is so cool, I love seeing the history here (never realized that it was a bulk ship then assembled at location, but makes sense to lower shipping costs)

Thanks for sharing!!

that was standard practice and still is to some degree today.  most games are made in one location like china and shipped to others for final/region assembly.  back in the days it was not uncommon for Nintendo to ship unlabeled games to a distributor for final assembly.  it was cost saving for Nintendo as a whole..  we see this in the Brazilian nes/gb games.  where pieces and parts were imported but final assembly was done in Brazil for tax saving cost...

Edited by JVOSS
The smaller markets were assembled at NOA/NOE/NOJ locations then imported to that region. like the GPS/ASI/ and a hand full of FHA. Hince the GPS have roms from either A/E/X.
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, RH said:

That was exactly my thought.  I mean, there was no way that Nintendo would have, or even could have, manufactured all of the parts to make up a fully assembled and sealed game.  However, I assumed they had the raw boards shipped to a facility and, then, they border were flashed and etched with the details, and then the shell, case, box, etc. were all assembled in the same place.  However, boxes are a lot of space with little weight, plus shipping games to Europe or the US means they could source printing locally of those boxes would also be cheaper.

Again, it all makes sense, but I'd never even considered it that way.

yep that was/is standard practice still todate.

32 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

Why on earth would anyone want this?  Haha

lol its like when i got 32 pieces of stargate gb at one time.  the history was it came from the factory as test/sample qa carts and was to be discarded after testing how ever the tech loved stargate so they discarded and went back and retrieved afterword.

• Like 2