IGNORED

Fire Emblem 30th Anniversary: Original NES game coming to Switch for the first time in English and a limited collector’s package coming to select retailers

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20201022005477/en/Fire-Emblem-Shadow-Dragon-the-Blade-of-Light-Arrives-in-the-U.S.-for-the-First-Time-on-Dec.-4

this is big news! The original adventure featuring Marth is coming to the eShop and there’s going to be a limited print with a non-functioning NES cart, art book and “mini Nintendo Power collectible.”

• Like 4

2 hours ago, phart010 said:

I wonder if the clear replica game shell will have the same pattern as an original NES game shell. If it does, you could get an INL board flashed with the localized rom and put it into the shell

Curious to know what the cart is made of or how it's put together. Might be better off making a repro depending.

1 hour ago, Shmup said:

I was excited until I read the physical is a download code and this is a limited time only.

I really hope this isn’t Nintendo’s new business model with old games. 

Hard pass for me.

Limited time only is the future. Limited Runs  success (5 years) has proven efficacy of this model. That’s why everyone is copying it, I don’t see the cycle being broken anytime soon

2 hours ago, phart010 said:

Limited time only is the future. Limited Runs  success (5 years) has proven efficacy of this model. That’s why everyone is copying it, I don’t see the cycle being broken anytime soon

Makes sense for indie games and re releases where the audience is small. For big publishers like Nintendo it just creates anger at them. I won’t be supporting this artificial FOMO.

• Like 1

I ordered for the art book and the hope that my repro translated cart innards will fit in the shell that comes with this.  I would pay extra to have a physical Switch copy of the game and/or a functioning NES cart.  Not having a functional NES cart is disappointing but understandable.  The game requires a MMC4 mapper chip that wasn't made for any North American releases iirc.  (Maybe there are [cheaper] alternatives nowadays but when I had my repros made 10ish years ago I needed the Famicom carts for the mapper chip).  The overhead to get something like that produced in 2020 would probably be too expensive to give this a decent price point.  

Hoping this means we get more ports of the SNES games and 1st GBA game in the series.  I really thought that the Fire Emblem Echoes was going to become a mini-series of remasters for all the games stuck in Japan.  If they translated this then maybe at the least we can get ports of all of those titles.

Edited by LutherDestroysTheGond

Grain of Salt time: According to a post on GameFAQS (the "Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon & the Blade of Light" Switch forum), the game went up for pre-orders twice yesterday on GameStop and sold out instantly.  Again...grain of salt...don't know if the guy is trolling or it was legit information.

Looks like Nintendo is funneling more money to scalpers. Seriously though, I don't know of any company that purposely and idiotically limits their products which are bound to become popular like Nintendo. Not sure if this is North American idiocy or just Nintendo in general, or maybe they really just enjoy having people squabble and search for their products...

but anyway, non-working replica cartridge = PASS

I will say I did play the DS game and I can say it's decently fun, a decent challenge, worth playing if you haven't before, but don't expect anything to blow you out of the water. 

Screenshot from 2020-10-23 09-07-29.png

Edited by avatar!
  • Like 3

People pay more than $50 for a single Nintendo Power Magazine or art book (literally just bought the 3rd Monster Hunter Illustrations art book for my brother for $50+) so all this moaning about the non functioning cart is dumb, I'm not paying $50 for a display cart, I'm paying that for the rest of the package. 

Also after seeing people pay over $100 for the effin Super Mario Pin Set which was given away for *free* yeah this will be an easy scalp for the people that choose to scalp it. 

I'm legit salty anyway because if there was a preorder already on GameStop then I missed that. I'm checking all the other retailers constantly hoping I can catch this. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MiamiSlice said:

I'm legit salty anyway because if there was a preorder already on GameStop then I missed that. I'm checking all the other retailers constantly hoping I can catch this. 

There was a window yesterday when I ordered a copy.  Try going into a store today.  I've had decent luck pre-ordering Nintendo limited edition items in person when their online stock runs out

20 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

Ok but can we agree that $50 isn't that bad considering it's a niche collectable. It seems like something LRG would sell for $100 and get praises for. 

I mostly disagree. Not entirely, but LRG is not a huge powerhouse like Nintendo and take a look at what they offer for $55 

-Physical Switch game

-Soundtrack CD 

-SNES non-functioning cartridge

-SNES-like box

And honestly, if LRG sold the Fire Emblem game WITH a working cartridge for $100, I'd probably complain at the price, but order it anyway 🙂 As usual, Nintendo screwed up not just the opportunity to release a functioning cartridge and perhaps even pave the way for more NES releases, but just even this limited release. Honestly, tell one limited release on the Switch that they haven't botched?! From Zelda Breath of Rain to Fire Emblem, despite huge shortages (ie large demand) Nintendo continues to purposely limit their production. I ponder if there's some evil force (let's just say "Ganon") controlling Nintendo that gets perverse pleasure and power from causing endless irritation to people that would just like to have a decent pre-order opportunity. And in that last regards, Nintendo again falls far below LRG...

MockUp_Market_Banner_MummyDemastered_CE_SWITCH.thumb.png.27903df0a284bbf67281b6e6d85c8955.png

• Wow! 1

22 minutes ago, avatar! said:

I ponder if there's some evil force (let's just say "Ganon") controlling Nintendo that gets perverse pleasure and power from causing endless irritation to people that would just like to have a decent pre-order opportunity.

well, the president of Nintendo of America is named Bowser...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3