IGNORED

Mike Tyson 5 Screw Variant

Good evening all,

I’m pretty much new here but have a question for you well known collectors in here.

I have come across a 5 screw Mike Tyson’s Punch Out today and I’ve been told by some people it’s a “well done” relabel or a Nintendo service center relabel.

The label on mine shows ZERO signs of it be taken off and put back on my cartridge, my board isn’t the same board you’d normally find in a 5 screw cartridge.

From the legit 5 screws I’ve seen they have orange bullet points and writing on the bottom left of the label which neither of mine have.  At first I thought I had a fake, but today I have come across another collector who has the EXACT same one as me so do we both have a relabel?  Could these be in fact real and new variants found?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

28ECED4D-5A03-4B57-A8DB-5ACF630B4B53.jpeg

78771C4E-296D-4C5F-9280-B8101F48CD88.jpeg

24E9D9AA-E43B-4457-BA48-2635A38BDAD9.jpeg

57764B82-32C7-4D8C-8857-A4CCD8C2DA3E.jpeg

1214D30B-91D1-40DF-8974-FCD31D7F7445.jpeg

ACD8D3A8-C42E-4C6F-B8AB-EA771D411DED.jpeg

79B2D3B1-DB40-456B-8566-C80C94E7B927.jpeg

FDD462EA-08F1-4AFE-88C9-08148DFB024F.jpeg

Edited by R3tr0_Game_Coll3ctor

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, SilverspoonGaming said:

I believe its a fake with the chip from the Spain version.

Also, the label is a fake because it doesnt have a Front Label ID.

I did my research here: https://web.archive.org/web/20140408232025/http://bootgod.dyndns.org:7777/profile.php?id=4322

What if it were a Nintendo service center relabel?

would there be a game ID on the sticker if so?

4 hours ago, SilverspoonGaming said:

I believe its a fake with the chip from the Spain version.

Also, the label is a fake because it doesnt have a Front Label ID.

I did my research here: https://web.archive.org/web/20140408232025/http://bootgod.dyndns.org:7777/profile.php?id=4322

ER no... all PAL version have the code PAL on their PRG or CHR chips.  In this case, the graphics are identical to the US version (Hence the NES on the CHR chip) but the PRG is different (PAL) to compensate for the European TV refresh rates/PAL NES Clock speed.

FWIW I wouldn't put any weight to all the different label versions.  I HIGHLY doubt this is a fake.  The chip date is early enough to denote a 5 screw. 

Edited by guitarzombie

30 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

ER no... all PAL version have the code PAL on their PRG or CHR chips.  In this case, the graphics are identical to the US version (Hence the NES on the CHR chip) but the PRG is different (PAL) to compensate for the European TV refresh rates/PAL NES Clock speed.

FWIW I wouldn't put any weight to all the different label versions.  I HIGHLY doubt this is a fake.  The chip date is early enough to denote a 5 screw. 

I have zero clue what to believe, so it’s not a PAL chip then?

I’m not fully up on my NES stuff so I’m always wanting to learn more 

Well this is cool. The chip dates are from week 44 of 1987 which is the last week of October, the month and year this game was released.

This doesn't appear to be a service center repair unit because most of those don't have back labels.

All 1987 and prior NES games have a known 5 screw variant except for The Karate Kid and Side Pocket.

I'm guessing this is simply from a specific factory that had left over 5 screw shells or hadn't received their 3 screw shell shipment yet. Maybe there were only 1 or 2 locations that did this and the rest used the new 3 screw shells.

10 hours ago, R3tr0_Game_Coll3ctor said:

I have zero clue what to believe, so it’s not a PAL chip then?

I’m not fully up on my NES stuff so I’m always wanting to learn more 

No its not a PAL chip.  Its clear to see as both chips have "NES" stamped on them.  Plus if it was a PAL chip the game would be running too slow.

I’m gonna call it legit.

Ive seen a bunch of 5-Screw Tyson carts, almost all of which have orange bullets, but counting this one, I’ve seen two or three with white bullets.

The label looks real, and the chip dates match the known timeline for 5-Screws.

Edit: Also, the earliest date code Bootgod has is 8749....this is a date code BEFORE that so it lends more credit to it being legitimate.

Edited by ThePhleo

53 minutes ago, ThePhleo said:

I’m gonna call it legit.

Ive seen a bunch of 5-Screw Tyson carts, almost all of which have orange bullets, but counting this one, I’ve seen two or three with white bullets.

The label looks real, and the chip dates match the known timeline for 5-Screws.

Edit: Also, the earliest date code Bootgod has is 8749....this is a date code BEFORE that so it lends more credit to it being legitimate.

And remember (for everyone) bootgod isn't the be all, end all.  Its only thru submissions that we have those dates.  The website can be inaccurate purely because it doesn't have a sample of every production cycle.  For example, how we found the sept 85 printed US SMB 1.

• 1 year later...