IGNORED

Zelda sealed. possible reseal?? Looks legit

1 hour ago, DefaultGen said:

The original listing had a better picture of the stress on the hinge. This actually has a bid for $1000 already even after a suspicious auction and VGA's opinion that it's resealed? Wild.

yI0xEcJ.png

Yeah, it's very odd. Just never seen H-Seam like that on a reseal. I guess someone's willing to risk it. 

I assume these were all hand-assembled back in the day.  Not sure if any of you all have ever worked in a factory, but you can build up muscle memory really quickly when you have to unfold a flattened box and pack something.  However, when you are new on a production line, you're slow, you make mistakes and you have to learn to be fast.

If these were hand assembled, there is a chance the factory worker made a mistake tucking in the flap, opened it up again, and then pushed it back down.  Maybe the manual was hanging half-out so they had to open it up when they realized it after bending down the flap once. Total newb mistake, and not at all implausible.

Maybe that's what this is. A factory sealed game, but the packer made a mistake and opened it and then re-closed it.

Another option is that before shrink wrapping, QA may take a sample game a day (or 2-3 times a day) open it, verify that everything was in there and in the right order, then the QA checker might have re-packed the game and put it back on the assembly line to be sealed.

I think both of these options are very plausible.

3 minutes ago, RH said:

I assume these were all hand-assembled back in the day.  Not sure if any of you all have ever worked in a factory, but you can build up muscle memory really quickly when you have to unfold a flattened box and pack something.  However, when you are new on a production line, you're slow, you make mistakes and you have to learn to be fast.

If these were hand assembled, there is a chance the factory worker made a mistake tucking in the flap, opened it up again, and then pushed it back down.  Maybe the manual was hanging half-out so they had to open it up when they realized it after bending down the flap once. Total newb mistake, and not at all implausible.

Maybe that's what this is. A factory sealed game, but the packer made a mistake and opened it and then re-closed it.

Another option is that before shrink wrapping, QA may take a sample game a day (or 2-3 times a day) open it, verify that everything was in there and in the right order, then the QA checker might have re-packed the game and put it back on the assembly line to be sealed.

I think both of these options are very plausible.

This would make me feel better. Not because I'm going to bid on this, but just for the sake of feeling secure with H-Seam again 😂

I don't know much about sealing things with cellophane, but wouldn't this take a very specific type of expensive machinery? 

Then again, someone flipping CIB as sealed would probably garner enough profit to make that worth it. Seems to me the video game market numbers are already pretty jacked up. Things like this will make grading almost essential. SMH

1 hour ago, 3rdStrongestMole said:

I don't know much about sealing things with cellophane, but wouldn't this take a very specific type of expensive machinery? 

Then again, someone flipping CIB as sealed would probably garner enough profit to make that worth it. Seems to me the video game market numbers are already pretty jacked up. Things like this will make grading almost essential. SMH

This type of H-Seam is more difficult to replicate than other types, but it is very doable.

On 10/13/2020 at 1:57 PM, 3rdStrongestMole said:

Read his description.

If VGA turned this away it has me nervous because I would totally look at this as a legit factory seal. I really hope reseals are not getting this good.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174472006276

Yep. I hate to say it but it is a reseal.

i know because i bought two zelda games from the same seller that ended up being verified at wata as reseals. They looked really good in pics, but felt a but off in hand. At least they were able to confirm quickly that they werent legit seals.

Here are the pics. And if anyone has any info on yugi collectorz, or his real name daniel kilpatrick from kingsland,GA id appreciate it as he owes me 3500$ and wont respond to my messages anymore. He sells these reseals through alternate ebay accounts with low/no feedback.

Be careful out there these seals fooled veteran collectors as well (not referring to myself obviously lol). 

AD87689B-1781-48AD-997E-38F2999AA361.jpeg

ABCA09C8-2D4D-4B0E-8CE4-20D550D3AECB.jpeg

5A93711F-F1BD-4647-B549-14647975B9EA.jpeg

B7406E0F-CE44-45A6-B36F-C9D63C6A1A21.jpeg

5ACD0EAA-3352-482B-8C84-1773EA01926D.jpeg

3D84165D-7980-44D5-AE26-4F088BEC9771.jpeg

2FD1330D-9AC0-4E1B-9BB7-9920A622C19A.jpeg

BECA1B5B-DD35-492B-92C5-B7E0AB1D6ED6.jpeg

9E4C2F43-EA7C-4EDA-BFAA-A4B47E0410F8.jpeg

0E1AC20A-C232-422B-90FF-9235EC1FBCEF.jpeg

789F8FEB-13E7-4A33-991B-D400FBA68518.jpeg

Edited by Jim Jimmer
  • Sad 3
  • Angry 2

13 minutes ago, Jim Jimmer said:

i know because i bought two zelda games from the same seller that ended up being verified at wata as reseals. They looked really good in pics, but felt a but off in hand. At least they were able to confirm quickly that they werent legit seals.

Here are the pics. And if anyone has any info on yugi collectorz, or his real name daniel kilpatrick from kingsland,GA id appreciate it as he owes me 3500$ and wont respond to my messages anymore. He sells these reseals through alternate ebay accounts with low/no feedback.

Be careful out there these seals fooled veteran collectors as well (not referring to myself obviously lol). 

AD87689B-1781-48AD-997E-38F2999AA361.jpeg

B7406E0F-CE44-45A6-B36F-C9D63C6A1A21.jpeg

5ACD0EAA-3352-482B-8C84-1773EA01926D.jpeg

3D84165D-7980-44D5-AE26-4F088BEC9771.jpeg

2FD1330D-9AC0-4E1B-9BB7-9920A622C19A.jpeg

BECA1B5B-DD35-492B-92C5-B7E0AB1D6ED6.jpeg

9E4C2F43-EA7C-4EDA-BFAA-A4B47E0410F8.jpeg

789F8FEB-13E7-4A33-991B-D400FBA68518.jpeg

Wow. Those seals look even better. Sounds like this guy is straight up scamming. People like this need to be called out hard. Time to do a little more research...

• Like 1

It's not like Nintendo had some sort of mythical method of shrink wrapping plastic.

It just takes the right machinery.

Anyone can browse used industrial machinery retailers and find a machine to do it properly. It just was never worth it to invest tens of thousands of dollars into it. Now in a world where common games can get five figure sales prices it may very well be worth it to get some mid '80s printing and shrink wrapping machinery.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jim Jimmer said:

These are very good reseals, but there are a few clues as to their counterfeit nature. It appears the pressure on his machine was too high and/or imbalanced resulting in:

• Thin seams
  • Curved seams
  • Wavy seams

I deleted the pictures that pass muster and left only the suspicious ones in the quoted text above.

In addition, there are areas of box damage beneath perfect seals.

We are in an age of buyer beware when it comes to videogame collectibles. I'd definitely recommend everyone here post pics of suspicious items before betting the farm on them or demand grading before purchase. Hopefully crowdsourcing the pics, such as in this thread, can lead to a consensus opinion.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

These are very good reseals, but there are a few clues as to their counterfeit nature. It appears the pressure on his machine was too high and/or imbalanced resulting in:

• Thin seams
  • Curved seams
  • Wavy seams

I deleted the pictures that pass muster and left only the suspicious ones in the quoted text above.

In addition, there are areas of box damage beneath perfect seals.

We are in an age of buyer beware when it comes to videogame collectibles. I'd definitely recommend everyone here post pics of suspicious items before betting the farm on them or demand grading before purchase. Hopefully crowdsourcing the pics, such as in this thread, can lead to a consensus opinion.

Great response, however a collective thread of reseals and pointers to spot reseals would benefit the community but also benefit re-sealers in fixing their « mistakes », so it’s a double-edged sword...

• Thanks 1

On 10/17/2020 at 5:43 AM, Jim Jimmer said:

Great response, however a collective thread of reseals and pointers to spot reseals would benefit the community but also benefit re-sealers in fixing their « mistakes », so it’s a double-edged sword...

Yep, double-edged..

At the end of the day, if anyone wants to dive deep into sealed collecting, then they have to be meticulous with their research. There is no real substitute for learning and experiencing from firsthand what is a genuine factory sealed.

Btw, hope you can hunt that seller down one day. I’d love to hunt down a few sellers myself..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Wow! 1

Before the auction of the original post, this exact same game was sold under a different username, same seller I'm guessing. Originally it went for a lot more as it looked more legit in the photos IMO.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Legend-of-Zelda-NES-1987-REV-A-Round-SOQ-Mid-Production-Factory-Sealed-/353187804953?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l44720.c10&nordt=true&rt=nc&orig_cvip=true

2 hours ago, rondy said:

Before the auction of the original post, this exact same game was sold under a different username, same seller I'm guessing. Originally it went for a lot more as it looked more legit in the photos IMO.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Legend-of-Zelda-NES-1987-REV-A-Round-SOQ-Mid-Production-Factory-Sealed-/353187804953?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l44720.c10&nordt=true&rt=nc&orig_cvip=true

Same ding in bottom left on back, but no damage on front. Also, seal looks worse on more recent one. If this is the same one, I'm extra confused now.

2 hours ago, 3rdStrongestMole said:

Same ding in bottom left on back, but no damage on front. Also, seal looks worse on more recent one. If this is the same one, I'm extra confused now.

It’s the same game. Same damage etc.

i’ll add to the confusion

During the initial auction (15k one) some people posted on IG it was a reseal. Someone claimed in the comments they had bought it so i reached out to explain my situation with the 2 reseals i had bought. The guy claimed he « wouldn't grade it and bought it for his nephew(!), who is 6 (?!?!?)  like wtf who would do that?!

Then we see this listing from endzonesportscards, which is the same game, but his feedback doesnt correspond to the one who won the initial auction. So perhaps the game moved privately before hitting ebay again?

now im really confused, and even more pissed that this resealed turd keeps turning onto unsuspecting buyers 🤬

29 minutes ago, Jim Jimmer said:

It’s the same game. Same damage etc.

i’ll add to the confusion

During the initial auction (15k one) some people posted on IG it was a reseal. Someone claimed in the comments they had bought it so i reached out to explain my situation with the 2 reseals i had bought. The guy claimed he « wouldn't grade it and bought it for his nephew(!), who is 6 (?!?!?)  like wtf who would do that?!

Then we see this listing from endzonesportscards, which is the same game, but his feedback doesnt correspond to the one who won the initial auction. So perhaps the game moved privately before hitting ebay again?

now im really confused, and even more pissed that this resealed turd keeps turning onto unsuspecting buyers 🤬

What the fuck. Not only that, but these eBay shops look legit based on other sales, etc. I wouldn't have any reason (as an unsuspecting buyer) not to trust this person (people?). 

More reasons to avoid eBay for me, but sealed market is so scarce anyways, idk where I'm gonna get my fix 😂

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, rondy said:

Wtf.

This account looks relatively unused over the last year. Worse yet, no disclaimer like the other one had saying not verified by VGA and what not.

At least it's unsold, but I'm sure it will pop up again before too long

Edited by 3rdStrongestMole
Looks like buyer just went ahead and posted to resell. Could just be the same dude I guess.