IGNORED

The hype machine at work

DefaultGen

Today someone posted this $35,000 Mario no Photopi on Ebay (and also hyped it up as super r@re in a Wata Facebook group).
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mario-no-Photopi-Nintendo-N64-Rarest-Mario-Game-Ever-Released-Sealed-Wata-9-2/333738141107?hash=item4db457e5b3:g:xY4AAOSwmC9fc5qB

Over the past 2 months, 12 copies were BIN'd on Ebay/Yahoo for $100-400. So you know what, if you think you can buy out every copy of a game and jack the price up $34,500 and some idiot will buy it, power to you.

It's not just the blatant market manipulation of a game no one cares about that gets to me though. The copy for sale isn't even complete. It's the inner box of a big box set.

z2Ree7P.png

A complete copy of the game w/the big box and photo disk:

N0Mt6Ts.png

The game market is crazier than ever. Just a reminder not to get caught up with clueless sports card newbies hyping garbage no one actually cares about, even when you see this "sell" for $10,000 on Heritage.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

You know, there are actually a lot of ways to make some serious cash, you just have to be willing to drop your ethics a bit and swindle people out of their cash.

There are honestly more than a couple of games that I've noticed this could be done with.  Maybe not for $35,000 a pop, but you could probably buy up 2-3 that have sat on eBay for a long time, buy up everything on OfferUp and DK Oldies and then wait a few months and then sell the graded copies as. "L@@K ULTRA RARE!!!1!" for 3-5x times what you paid. But I can't do it, personally.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RH said:

You know, there are actually a lot of ways to make some serious cash, you just have to be willing to drop your ethics a bit and swindle people out of their cash.

There are honestly more than a couple of games that I've noticed this could be done with.  Maybe not for $35,000 a pop, but you could probably buy up 2-3 that have sat on eBay for a long time, buy up everything on OfferUp and DK Oldies and then wait a few months and then sell the graded copies as. "L@@K ULTRA RARE!!!1!" for 3-5x times what you paid. But I can't do it, personally.

Multiple people have actually told me I should stop complaining about newbies and take advantage of them instead because I have the knowledge to know what variants/games I could hype up like this. We were thinking about a Collector's Quest episode where we entirely bought out a rare-ish game, didn't hype it all, and tracked what happened over the course of a year to see how easy it is to manipulate a games market by doing literally nothing, but in recent times it seems unnecessary and we didn't want to lose any community trust. I have too much ethics for this hobby.

• Like 1

I’ve been using the words “market manipulation” several times on this forum. I just want to clarify I wasn’t talking about additional hype or oddities where the seller can get a reasonable profit margin. I was (and still am) talking about the profit margins on some sales that does not compute with the retro games market, graded games market or any other collectible market that’s out there. 

This OP example being one such example - idiotic, needless and puts collectors off collecting rather than wanting to dive into it. 

• Like 1

Its a joke no one wants that junk. When you have to try and convince people to buy your item then its artificial and has no staying power.

From the Wata perspective it sucks though. But what are you going to do when pepole are subbing everything under the sun to make a buck? You're going to get stuck authenticating some borderline stuff that isn't in your swim lane.

• Haha 1

This isn't even the rarest official Mario game like it's claiming to be.

Super Mario Bros. Special on the PC-88 is extremely rare, but the Sharp X1 version is even rarer.

If I'm not mistaken, there's even a couple undumped, official Donkey Kong games for the Sharp X1.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Foochie776 said:

That Wata group is great, I love seeing the same games over and over and all the new investors gassing each other up on their “excellent” investments. 

What get's me is that nepotism can be a powerful force. All it takes is for them to create their own collective bubble, only invite in fellow, naive collectors with deep pockets and, the fact is, their sales will for now on be the one making headlines.

I mean, I really don't care if "RARE ERROR L@@K - LJN Wolverine NES with reverse seal", or whatever something "special", sales for $500,000 in 10 years.  It'd be comparatively worthless to the rest of us, but they will just keep funneling deep money into their bubble. The only thing that really annoys me is these jokers looking to form these bubbles are spoken to by regular news outlets and they speak like they are experts, while the rest of the collecting masses simply chuckle at their naivety.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, ThePhleo said:

This isn't even the rarest official Mario game like it's claiming to be.

Super Mario Bros. Special on the PC-88 is extremely rare, but the Sharp X1 version is even rarer.

If I'm not mistaken, there's even a couple undumped, official Donkey Kong games for the Sharp X1.

Hey keep those secret, me and Johnny both want SMB Special, lol.

21 hours ago, OptOut said:

I mean... Are we talking full set of ten tonsils here, or what?

Because, interested...

Why did my autocorrect change toenails to tonsils? 😩 Another GREAT yuk ruined by modern technology!

Unless... Would you be interested in selling your tonsils also, after having them graded @Gloves?

I can start working on my @Gloves fullset, one body piece at a time! 🤣

• Haha 3

23 hours ago, OptOut said:

Why did my autocorrect change toenails to tonsils? 😩 Another GREAT yuk ruined by modern technology!

Unless... Would you be interested in selling your tonsils also, after having them graded @Gloves?

I can start working on my @Gloves fullset, one body piece at a time! 🤣

I think I have the capability to safely remove a kidney, just let me know when you're ready for that step of graded Gloves 🤣

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...

GET IT WHILE IT'S COLD!!!

Amazing 90% price reduction on the """"L@@K RARESIST N64 GAME EVAR!!!!!""""

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mario-no-Photopi-Nintendo-Rarest-N64-Mario-Game-Ever-Released-Graded-by-Wata-8-5/333765178484?hash=item4db5f47474:g:IV0AAOSwzJFflMHQ

Down to only 3,500 USD today! Unbelievable value right there, guys! ;) 😄

47 minutes ago, OptOut said:

GET IT WHILE IT'S COLD!!!

Amazing 90% price reduction on the """"L@@K RARESIST N64 GAME EVAR!!!!!""""

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mario-no-Photopi-Nintendo-Rarest-N64-Mario-Game-Ever-Released-Graded-by-Wata-8-5/333765178484?hash=item4db5f47474:g:IV0AAOSwzJFflMHQ

Down to only 3,500 USD today! Unbelievable value right there, guys! ;) 😄

This is a different CIB copy. Believe it or not, I think they have more than one. Shocker, I know.

• Wow! 1

38 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

This is a different CIB copy. Believe it or not, I think they have more than one. Shocker, I know.

Unbelievable! You mean ONE man (and his presumably sexually-dissatisfied wife) managed to track down TWO copies of the world's rarest game?! 😲

What sorcery could he have used to achieve this herculean task?!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1