IGNORED

Music Debate #83: HIM

Reed Rothchild

Rate 'em  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Rating explanations down below

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite artists of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking band. Or artist.
    • 8/10 - Great sound, great songs, great albums.
    • 7/10 - Very good, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. More than a few songs you like. You'd entertain the thought of seeing them live if they were in the area. Or still alive.
    • 5/10 - They're okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to listen to.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good. You will more likely than not turn the station if they come on the radio.
    • 2/10 - Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - In the running for worst artist/musician of all time. You would rather take a cheese grater to your face than listen to this.

Pretty bad, but not bad enough to be offensive or annoying. The songs are catchy, and I can at least understand why it has such a strong appeal, even if that appeal is primarily to 14 year old girls (or girls who were 14 when the band was popular).

Kinda the definition of a 4/10, going by the descriptions given to them.

10 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

That's where I first heard them. I felt like they changed their sound a bit in their albums after the show ended in an attempt to be more appealing to commercial radio.

And they had to change their name to HER for a bit.  

I would also say Bam Margera is the reason 99.9 percent of people that know of them do.

4 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

And they had to change their name to HER for a bit.  

I would also say Bam Margera is the reason 99.9 percent of people that know of them do.

I remember that. I think there was already a band in the US called HIM, so they had to change their name for a short period until they got the rights to the name.

Never heard of them. I checked out a couple of the songs.

I quite liked Into the Night. Much better than I was expecting. But then they have a song called Join Me in Death? Seriously? We don't need another Don't Fear the Reaper, guys. Shitty song too.

They seem like a 5 or 6 out of 10. They're talented but the extreme goth pandering is too much.

6 hours ago, Kguillemette said:

I like old HIM around the time of Love Metal. There are other bands that do this style of emo-metal better though. Katatonia blows them out the water, for example. HIM gets a 6/10 out of me.

They seemed to drop off after that. I thought their first four albums were great, then Dark Light was pretty good, but their last three were just average at best.

On 10/1/2020 at 11:01 AM, mbd39 said:

Never heard of them. I checked out a couple of the songs.

I quite liked Into the Night. Much better than I was expecting. But then they have a song called Join Me in Death? Seriously? We don't need another Don't Fear the Reaper, guys. Shitty song too.

They seem like a 5 or 6 out of 10. They're talented but the extreme goth pandering is too much.

They covered Wicked Game by Chris Isaak and Solitary Man by Neil Diamond. I thought those were pretty good. Then again I like Don't Fear the Reaper. Ville Valo also did background vocals on Something Diabolical by The Bloodhound Gang.  

7 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

They covered Wicked Game by Chris Isaak and Solitary Man by Neil Diamond. I thought those were pretty good. Then again I like Don't Fear the Reaper. Ville Valo also did background vocals on Something Diabolical by The Bloodhound Gang.  

Don't Fear the Reaper is a great song. Unfortunately it overshadows everything else by BOC.

• Eyeroll 1