IGNORED

So I missed the first presidential debate...

I do care, and try to catch these when they're on... it's not like they happen every year! And, apparently, according to CNN

It was, without question, the single worst debate I have ever covered in my two decades of doing this job. That it happened even as more than 200,000 Americans have died from Covid-19 and projections suggest that number could double by January 1 made the un-seriousness of it all the more striking -- and painful. It was, simply put, a deep disservice to democracy.

Holy... well, now I wonder if me missing the debate was a good thing or not! Anyone actually watch/hear it? 

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/29/politics/first-presidential-debate-hits-and-misses/index.html

• Like 1

I was with prepping for my daughters first birthday tomorrow, so I couldn't watch live, but am watching it now.

I mean basically Trump keeps yelling stuff and interupting and Joe Biden is trying to speak. I don't like Joe Biden's politics, but I honestly think he is doing alright. Am really curious to hear others opinions from all sides.

Edit: And I think the Fox moderator did a better job than probably any other debate moderator this election season.

Edited by Californication

7 hours ago, Californication said:

Edit: And I think the Fox moderator did a better job than probably any other debate moderator this election season.

If there was a winner, it was Chris Wallace.

I walked away from that debate, and didn't look at any news or social media while it was on.  I walked away and actually asked "why?"  There's no way that of all of the likely voters, 99% of the people haven't made their choice.  Maybe, just maybe, these debates will either motivate (or unmotivate) some of those people to vote.  Regardless, this debate was so bad, I just felt like it was pointless.

After the bloodbath, though, I did jump around various social media outlets and places where people comment, just as a curiosity on the barometer of other people.  The general consensus, left or right, wasn't that one side one or lost. Everyone was simply pointing out that it was terrible.

Edited by RH

I think The Donald did what he always does, which is bulldoze the entire conversation in pursuit of dominance. It was repulsive but in no way surprising. It’s how he won the primary and general elections, how he conducts his press conferences and everything else. I expect him to win again — by hook or by (criminal) crook.

Well the Don attempted to rally white supremacists to action, so you can’t say no one enjoyed that shitshow. It gave me a migraine, but I mean someone enjoyed it I guess.

EDIT: I do think Biden carried himself better. It was particularly meaningful the way he stood up for his veteran son and told his other son how proud he was for overcoming drug addiction. This may be the first positive thing I’ve ever said about Joe Biden, for the record.

Edited by The Strangest
  • Like 2

Editorials Team · Posted

In one of the most contentious exchanges of a bruising first presidential debate, Biden criticized Mr. Trump for claims that were in a report in The Atlantic that he called fallen members of the military "losers" and suckers."

"My son was in Iraq, he spent a year there. He got the Bronze Star, he got the Conspicuous Service Medal," Biden said of his late son, Beau Biden. "He was not a loser. He was a patriot, and the people left behind there were heroes."

Mr. Trump interrupted the former vice president, saying, "are you talking about Hunter?" Biden said "I'm talking about my son, Beau Biden." 

Mr. Trump interrupted again, saying "I don't know Beau, I know Hunter." Beau Biden died from a brain tumor in 2015, when Biden was vice president. 

Pretty much sums up the debate.

• Like 1

It was the worst thing ever to be named a Presidential Debate in my lifetime without a doubt. I'm not American but I do try and stay informed as to what my neighbors to the south are up to. What a shitshow that was. I felt embarrassed for America and very grateful we don't ever have anything remotely close to that kinda trash here in Canada.

Neither won, both were embarrassing, and all I've been able to pick up off non one-sided or preferential treatment news outlets is what I kind of figured anyway.  1/3 say one, 1/3 said the other, and the other 1/3 said both were crap so zero minds were changed because of how that went.  Trump got loud and interrupted like twice as much, Biden eventually came down to his level and threw insults and like an old school politician never actually answered a question with the answer it was asking for.  They both sucked, end of story.  Hopefully the next gets better or is equally err amusing?  I think if you want issues, watch the one with the VPs.

• Like 2