IGNORED

CasualCart's 2020 Ink-tober Thread

T-Pac

Graphics Team · Posted

Haha working for Yacht Club would be awesome for sure, but even if I had the opportunity, I just don't have enough availability to take on any more large-scale freelance gigs right now. We'll just have to figure out another way for VGS to infiltrate the indie-game scene...

-CasualCart

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, CasualCart said:

12 - Warlock Lord / Behemoth [Shadowgate]

This one was a trip, @Bearcat-Doug - great suggestion! I don't think I've ever played a point-and-click adventure before, but maybe Shadowgate would be a good introduction to the genre.

-CasualCart

1367762198_012WarlockLordandBehemothSprite.jpg.be57349a79f07bae385200ad5ad835a3.jpg

522047881_012WarlockLord-Behemoth.jpg.5716cf34117329e8372807b8725fe679.jpg

1895465200_012WarlockLord-BehemothColor.jpg.a0be09320932f00e827c1f2d080c1af2.jpg

Wow, that's awesome! Deja Vu is probably the easiest of the three Kemco point and click games, but Shadowgate is likely the most popular. Uninvited is good too, so I'd recommend all three.

• Like 3

Shadowgate is NOT a good entry into the point and click genre haha.  Maniac Mansion is :).  Almost everything in the game can be used, just some things not by everyone.  Uninvited is probably the easiest I think?  Maniac Mansion isn't hard but there are a few areas you can get stuck with and how they expected you to figure out the end was pretty insane,

IMO the best introduction into Point 'n Click adventures is something like Day of the Tentacle. It's an easily approachable game, and all the puzzles can be solved with some persistance and out-of-the-box thinking, and the time travel mechanic is a really fun idea. When it came out I finished it in a couple of days without the use of a guide, though experience from the Monkey Island games probably helped.

Shadowgate is a fun game, and nostalgic to me, but probably not a very good point'n'click. Most of it is just trial and error and pixel hunting, and using an NES controller to control a cursor really isn't ideal. Basically it's its own thing, and not really representative of the genre. 🙂

Maniac Mansion is good too, but unlike pretty much every other LucasArts game in the genre, it's really archaic, and it has a lot of bad ending/death scenarios, and I think it's even possible to get yourself into an unwinnable situation (both things LucasArts would intentionally avoid going forward). I like the open ended nature of it though.

With Day of the Tentacle you also get the original Maniac Mansion built in anyway, since you can play it on a computer in-game. 😛

Edited by Sumez
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sumez said:

IMO the best introduction into Point 'n Click adventures is something like Day of the Tentacle. It's an easily approachable game, and all the puzzles can be solved with some persistance and out-of-the-box thinking, and the time travel mechanic is a really fun idea. When it came out I finished it in a couple of days without the use of a guide, though experience from the Monkey Island games probably helped.

Shadowgate is a fun game, and nostalgic to me, but probably not a very good point'n'click. Most of it is just trial and error and pixel hunting, and using an NES controller to control a cursor really isn't ideal. Basically it's its own thing, and not really representative of the genre. 🙂

Maniac Mansion is good too, but unlike pretty much every other LucasArts game in the genre, it's really archaic, and it has a lot of bad ending/death scenarios, and I think it's even possible to get yourself into an unwinnable situation (both things LucasArts would intentionally avoid going forward). I like the open ended nature of it though.

With Day of the Tentacle you also get the original Maniac Mansion built in anyway, since you can play it on a computer in-game. 😛

I do completely agree but we were talking about the NES haha.  There are a few ways that are unwinnable.  The two I know of off the top of my head is wasting the paint remover (depending on who you use but even then its not impossible) and wasting the dimes, also not impossible if you do but will just take you a LONG time guessing the combination to the safe.  Also of course killing one or two of your kids will do that too.  Also using the car, depending on who you use.

2 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

we were talking about the NES haha

Why though? I don't think CasualCart would limit himself to NES games, or am I wrong? The NES is a really poor introduction to "point n click" adventures in general 😄

Though I think Nightshade, which unlike the others is even an NES exclusive, is one of the best adventure games on the platform, and a really unique experience. It's probably not for everyone though hehe. Probably not a good introduction, but I think it's worth checking out.

12 hours ago, guitarzombie said:

Shadowgate is NOT a good entry into the point and click genre haha.  Maniac Mansion is :).  Almost everything in the game can be used, just some things not by everyone.  Uninvited is probably the easiest I think?  Maniac Mansion isn't hard but there are a few areas you can get stuck with and how they expected you to figure out the end was pretty insane,

I thought Uninvited was the toughest since a lot of the rooms can be skipped over and the puzzles are fairly cryptic. I thought Deja Vu was the easiest, with Shadowgate being in the middle.

37 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I thought Uninvited was the toughest since a lot of the rooms can be skipped over and the puzzles are fairly cryptic. I thought Deja Vu was the easiest, with Shadowgate being in the middle.

With Deja Vu I remember struggling with the end.  Shadowgate I remember really really tough at the start.  Uninvited seemed really short and simple even though there were a lot of items that we're pointless.  Its been a while but IIRC Uninvited was the easiest for me at least.

34 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

With Deja Vu I remember struggling with the end.  Shadowgate I remember really really tough at the start.  Uninvited seemed really short and simple even though there were a lot of items that we're pointless.  Its been a while but IIRC Uninvited was the easiest for me at least.

The NES port of Deja Vu makes the end a little easier than the PC version since it won't let you throw away any items that you need. The PC version will let you toss the evidence that you need, so if you throw away the wrong thing you have to start all over. I don't know if you played Deja Vu II or not, but it gets really complicated at the end.

24 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

The NES port of Deja Vu makes the end a little easier than the PC version since it won't let you throw away any items that you need. The PC version will let you toss the evidence that you need, so if you throw away the wrong thing you have to start all over. I don't know if you played Deja Vu II or not, but it gets really complicated at the end.

I did not, and I was trying to be vague about the ending haha.  Was there a Deja Vu 2 NES proto?  I think it was on GBC but i'd like to put it on my SNES Classic

1 minute ago, guitarzombie said:

I did not, and I was trying to be vague about the ending haha.  Was there a Deja Vu 2 NES proto?  I think it was on GBC but i'd like to put it on my SNES Classic

I tried to look into that a few years ago and I don't think the NES port of Deja Vu II got far enough along to where there was a proto. They did release a Deja Vu I and II combo cart for the GBC, but they changed the user interface from the NES games, so they're a little different.