IGNORED

HeroQuest is Back!

arch_8ngel

Wow nice. Thanks for sharing.

Now I can actually grab this game and not debate whether it is worth paying ridiculous eBay prices for a copy that is so beat up it should really be $10.

Edit: Well that sucks. US & Canada only. Way to neglect the majority of the world!

Edited by Shmup
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ausden said:

Still have my original sitting up on a closet shelf.ย 

Yeah, I have my original, complete expansions for Witchlord and Keller's Keep, and partial sets for the Elf and Barbarian quest packs (planning to sell those at some point) -- along with enough GW ogres to flesh out the non-USA quest packs.

But I'd be happy to have a fresh set of the game with potentially updated/improved rules and quests to share with the kids without wearing down my originals...

12 hours ago, arch_8ngel said:

Guess I'm spending $150 ๐Ÿ˜›

you're not the only one!ย  thanks for posting this, my stepbrother had this when we were younger and i've been looking to get a copy of this game for years. with the going rate, i figured that was never going to happen. Behold! the magic of the internet and undying fan scenes.

9 hours ago, arch_8ngel said:

Yeah, I have my original, complete expansions for Witchlord and Keller's Keep, and partial sets for the Elf and Barbarian quest packs (planning to sell those at some point) -- along with enough GW ogres to flesh out the non-USA quest packs.

But I'd be happy to have a fresh set of the game with potentially updated/improved rules and quests to share with the kids without wearing down my originals...

Have you checked out the price for a complete original HeroQuest right now? I looked a year ago and they were going for well over $500.00!

7 minutes ago, Ausden said:

Have you checked out the price for a complete original HeroQuest right now? I looked a year ago and they were going for well over $500.00!

I would never sell mine. It is probably the most sentimental thing I own from childhood, ahead of Legend of Zelda and my original NES, and ahead of my classic castle LEGO collection.

But I will happily sell the very valuable (even when incomplete) Barbarian and Elf questpacks that I obtained as an adult as part of trades on Bartertown.

I did cash in pretty well last year selling my complete copy of Warhammer Quest that I had assembled via Bartertown trades in the early 00's.ย  And I did take advantage of the re-release of Fireball Island to sell a near-complete original for what seemed like silly-money.ย  But the base game for Heroquest has a much more special place for me ๐Ÿ˜›ย  (to the point that I've been in the process of assembling a "full metal" version with era-styled minis in pewter/tin to make an heirloom quality version of the game)

• Like 1

Looks cool as hell. I've never played it. Is this the original game, or a tweaked modern version like that Fireball Island game that came out? If they're just re-releasing the OG game again, that's awesome. I hate that some of the most interesting games of the past are basically inaccessible if you want a copy with 100% of pieces and all to play.

2 hours ago, Nintegageo said:

Did this game originally also have a VHS tape? I remember playing some game when I was a kid and the video had a woman thief who could walk along the castle walls or ropes or something. Have missed that game and should this be it, I might purchase it.

The VHS tape was with DragonStrike, which was TSR's response to Heroquest.

Mechanically, DragonStrike is like AD&D-lite (with the full range of dice).

I had that one, too, and my sister and I watched that VHS tape every week until it wore out ๐Ÿ˜›

ย 

Heroquest was the "better" game with much higher quality components.

But DragonStrike had a wider variety of enemies (included a Man-scorpion AND a Dragon) and had TWO double-sided game boards.ย  Down-side of those game boards was that they were much less "reconfigurable" than the Heroquest board (i.e. the layouts were fixed).

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

Looks cool as hell. I've never played it. Is this the original game, or a tweaked modern version like that Fireball Island game that came out? If they're just re-releasing the OG game again, that's awesome. I hate that some of the most interesting games of the past are basically inaccessible if you want a copy with 100% of pieces and all to play.

From everything I've read it is a remake of the original game (at least if you go by the stats on the character cards, and the fact that they still appear to have movement dice for the player characters).

And the miniature count (aside from the "extras") is 1:1, as well as the furniture.

Also the game board has an identical layout/arrangement -- so you could very easily download the old rules and quest books and play the original game with this board and miniatures.

ย 

Honestly, even if it didn't include the extra characters and special enemies, I'd get it just to have the furniture/doors, and to have a version of Heroquest to play with my kids that doesn't put wear-and-tear on my originals.

Edited by arch_8ngel
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

Looks fun, but not when you have no one to play it with so that's a hard pass.ย  Maybe someone can construct an ios/android version for mobile to do with AI and/or other players.

I've said the same for AD&D as well, still nothing...

Descent did this with their free game Road to Legend. The AI plays as the dungeon master and you can play as the heroes. It works pretty well and I think now they have a few paid expansions.

1 hour ago, Shmup said:

Descent did this with their free game Road to Legend. The AI plays as the dungeon master and you can play as the heroes. It works pretty well and I think now they have a few paid expansions.

Descent?ย  You have a link to this?ย  I'd like to see what they've pulled off.

1 minute ago, Tanooki said:

Here is a link to the info about the companion game:ย https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/3/15/road-to-legend/

This is the actual board game:ย https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/descent-journeys-in-the-dark-second-edition/

Itโ€™s available on Android, iOS and steam so just search for Road to Legend.

They also have this for their other game Star Wars: Imperial Assault.

12 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Looks fun, but not when you have no one to play it with so that's a hard pass.ย  Maybe someone can construct an ios/android version for mobile to do with AI and/or other players.

I've said the same for AD&D as well, still nothing...

This is a great family game, IMO, so not something you necessarily need to play with a separate friend group, and NOWHERE NEAR as "involved" as keeping up with an AD&D commitment.

9 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Descent, and a number of the FFG games are pretty easily served with an app, since they have really straightforward rules for playing without a proper DM.ย  (same for Warhammer Quest from GW, back in the day).

You could pull something similar off for Heroquest, but it would involve developing house rules for monster behaviors that aren't necessarily part of the core game design.

On 9/27/2020 at 11:17 AM, DoctorEncore said:

Man, this brings back some good memories. How much did this originally retail for? I can't imagine my parents would have spent more than $50 on a "board game." $150 seems kind of excessive for what it is.

$20, IIRC.ย  MIGHT have been $25 (but I might be getting that price point mixed up with Fireball Island)

The expansions were, I THINK, $12 for each of the two small expansions, and closer to $20 for the Elf and Barbarian quest packs.

But for as cool as the original is, there is no denying that the miniaturesย quality is substantially lower (lost details and the plastics more brittle) than modern materials and techniques (i.e. plastics now can get super-crisp results on par with metal castings)

ย 

But the price point for the re-release is pretty solid for a modern-day big box release with that many miniatures, using high quality modern materials.ย 

ย 

EDIT: as a point of comparison, back when MB was selling Heroquest for $20, "Advanced Heroquest" was what Games Workshop was publishing in "serious" game stores for something like $60, with a lot fewer miniatures and less in-box content (though better miniatures quality, on-par with actual Warhammer plastics of the day).ย  Then a few years later Warhammer Quest retailed for something like $80, with about the same amount of "stuff" that came in a box of Heroquest (again with full-on Warhammer quality plastics, though).

Heroquest was a SCREAMING DEAL for what it was, at the time.ย  The next closest game in price point, Dragonstrike, had EVEN LOWER QUALITY miniatures, though it "benefited" from D&D-lite rules, which was an interesting twist on how "samey-samey" some of the dice combat becomes in Heroquest.

Anyway... to remake Heroquest will "top quality" plastics, puts this at a totally fair price point, pretty much exactly on par with any other big-box miniatures-heavy release with the added benefit that it scratches the specific Heroquest itch that is currently very expensive to satisfy on eBay for those that don't still have their original game.

Edited by arch_8ngel
  • Thanks 1

• 10 months later...

Anyone that backed this have any info on how this is travelling? I had to pre order mine through EB games because I couldn't participate in the campaign. I think I remember reading it was meant to come out this September, are they still on track?

Edit: After some investigation I couldn't find any confirmation on a date but I did find out that they're planning to release an app with it to act as the DM. @Tanooki this might interest you now.

Edited by Shmup

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Shmup said:

Anyone got theirs yet? I just received an email from EB Games that mine is ready to pickup, going to grab it tonight. I'm interested to try out the app as well.

Mine showed up a week ago.

Looks great, might finally have time to break it out and play this weekend.

• Like 1