IGNORED

VGS Weekly Contest - Heavy Shreddin

BeaIank

Events Team · Posted

For this week, all participants had to dig out their 90's fluo colored snowboarding gear and get ready for some Heavy Shreddin on the icy mountains!

The battle on the snow trails played out with a very narrow margin between first and second places. @NESfiend had a good shot to earn his first win in the NES Weekly Contest, and gave it all until the end by posting a 283,242 score, but the man with a computer brain was also snow riding like a champ. By grasping a little nuance on how scoring works in the game, @0xDEAFC0DE was able to maximize his runs and get a 284,772 score that NESfiend couldn't catch up. The tight battle between these snowboard gladiators was of great interest, and 0xDEAFC0DE can celebrate a well earned win, while NESfiend knows for sure the time will soon come that he'll taste victory!

NESfiend was not only in the spotlight for 1st place battle, he also 'pulled a @Jeevan' and invited an outside player that could have been his worst nemesis under the circumstances. @Nicies, NESfiend's law firm's colleague and high profile modern gamer, put up a huge score of 256,130 in the middle of the week that held good for third place. Though the reappearance of Nicies in the contest is still incertain, we would all be blessed if some work buddies rivalry could take place in our friendly contest. Welcome aboard Nicies, and please, come back kick more asses

Not so far away, @8bitdontquitshred his way to 4th place with a score of 231,984, which can also be interpreted as a warm up exercise with the year end tournament in mind. And then we have the members of the 100k club, @Gaia Gensouki coming 5th with 174,278, @Richardhead, AKA the man responsible for the hosting of a Heavy Shreddin contest, with 132,084 (who he self predicted his Monday single attempt to finish 5th, he got 6th, nice call!), and geral board leader @bertsampsontaking it easy with 100,278.

Bert had a tiny lead of 1 point in the Sports genre leaderboard before this week, and guess who was sitting in 2nd place? This man was no other than 0DEAFxC0DE, which means that he not only got the win of the week, he also grabbed the NES Weekly Contest 2020 Sports Charms. Congratulations for this achievement, and something tells me that it won't be the only contest bling you'll win this year around!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NESfiend said:

This may have been what cost me. I was doing the 10 tricks by doing 10 straight 360s before the level started every time. 

The other possibility is the third to last obstacle on backwood 6. If you go high on the screen with two paths before the ditch, you have to shoot down like you do at the beginning of backwood 5. I started going low to make it easier. That may have lessened the time the score runs because you arent shooting all the way down the screen

I always take the lower path. I wouldn't think going high would get more points. The progression points don't get assigned based on time (otherwise you could just go slow). 

15 minutes ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

I always take the lower path. I wouldn't think going high would get more points. The progression points don't get assigned based on time (otherwise you could just go slow). 

Funny you mention that because I tried the going slow route for longer than I'd like to admit. Yes, it does not work. 

@guillavoie appreciate the kind words. Nicies is not my brother though. He is the little brother of the owner/operator of my law firm. I get the confusion as I post about my little brother and I gaming a lot. Im working on getting him in for 2021. He is on a mission to 100% goldeneye 64 on 00 agent at the moment. 2 levels out I think. 

Edited by NESfiend
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Events Team · Posted
26 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Funny you mention that because I tried the going slow route for longer than I'd like to admit. Yes, it does not work. 

@guillavoie appreciate the kind words. Nicies is not my brother though. He is the little brother of the owner/operator of my law firm. I get the confusion as I post about my little brother and I gaming a lot. Im working on getting him in for 2021. He is on a mission to 100% goldeneye 64 on 00 agent at the moment. 2 levels out I think. 

Get both Nicies and your bro in the contest for 2021😉!

Thanks for the clarification, I should have re-read to be sure though. I wrote that up from memory, and got some facts blended!

• Like 1

Just now, BeaIank said:

I haven't had time to post the final scoreboard yet.
If all goes well, I will be able to do it tonight.

No worries at all. Just checking, mostly since my posts will be harder to read with no embedded photo until I add SSL to my domain. I've not really been in the contest threads for the last number of weeks. Things have been rough here. I hope you're doing well. 

4 minutes ago, BeaIank said:

Covid test result came out today. Luckily, I tested negative.
So yeah, things have been... messy the last few days with that and three parallel projects running here.

Good news on the test!  I fully relate to the project work. It's stupid. People need to put their computers away and go talk to their plants or something 😄

7 hours ago, BeaIank said:

Covid test result came out today. Luckily, I tested negative.
So yeah, things have been... messy the last few days with that and three parallel projects running here.

Mine too! Got tested Tuesday morning and got my result Friday morning. Thats how my 3 day golf tourney turned into a heavy shreddin lock in. It sucked missing that, but having that game on the schedule and mandatory free time gave it a silver lining. Between that and extra time with my son, I feel like I made the most of it. 

• The topic was unpinned