IGNORED

VGS Weekly Contest - Heavy Shreddin

BeaIank

2 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

If anyone is wondering where this ringer came from out of the blue, I have the answer. In what may be the dumbest move in the history of the weekly contests, I pulled an @Jeevan and brought in a ringer the one week I have a chance at winning.

Nicies is my partners little brother and he works at my firm. He's a hard-core modern gamer in the top 1% of all players on games like league of legends, fortnight, or whatever else is all over twitch. I am always talking shit and saying he couldn't hang in NES contests. Gave him some basic strategy stuff to cut down his practice time. Yeah, he cracked it in a week or two's time. I spent weeks getting this good. 

Heavy shreddin is no longer allowed at work since he beat me. He won't give up his precious league of legends time at home, so he's probably in for the week. Hoping he will come back to the weeklys here and there, but Id call it doubtful 

I thought @bertsampson made a burner account! 😂

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Damn I'm rooting for NESfiend to get the win this week. But it'll probably be Bert.

Been my thoughts all week. Though I wouldn't count out @0xDEAFC0DE. He got to 200k early in the week. Thats a really tough to do if you havent played a lot of this and I suspect he hasn't. Dude is relentless and it's only Wed. If I do get beat, hopefully its just one and I can still grab my first silver. 

11 hours ago, NESfiend said:

Been my thoughts all week. Though I wouldn't count out @0xDEAFC0DE. He got to 200k early in the week. Thats a really tough to do if you havent played a lot of this and I suspect he hasn't. Dude is relentless and it's only Wed. If I do get beat, hopefully its just one and I can still grab my first silver. 

I played it a bit last week so it isn't totally new. I got a 240k score last night, but I'm too lazy to post it since it still has a couple early deaths in backwoods 6.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

"Stunts required" the game says. And then I never see any stunts no matter what buttons I press. No response to my inputs whatsoever. What the fuck?

@Nicies had a core meltdown the first time he got to the half pipe. He thought the ROM was screwed up when it wouldn't let him move left to right. I had a very good laugh. 

I can't remember if it was the manual or an online guide, but something led me to believe you had to press A to jump and the trick direction and A at the same time in the air. Played that way a LOT. I still press A when I do the mule kick. Somehow helps keep my rhythm 

Edited by NESfiend

9 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

@Nicies had a core meltdown the first time he got to the half pipe. He thought the ROM was screwed up when it wouldn't let him move left to right. I had a very good laugh. 

I can't remember if it was the manual or an online guide, but something led me to believe you had to press A to jump and the trick direction and A at the same time in the air. Played that way a LOT. I still press A when I do the mule kick. Somehow helps keep my rhythm 

The manual says that you have to press A in combination with the directions to do tricks.

25 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

The manual says that you have to press A in combination with the directions to do tricks.

Well then this is quite the share bear moment because that is bs. Press a to jump. In the air, hold the direction for the trick you want. Don't have to press A again and drive yourself nuts trying to time it like I did for a long time. 

28 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Okay, after I successfully do the mule kick in the half pipe, my guy just stops and falls over for some reason rather than continuing to go down the half pipe like normal. This game is so aggravating!!! How do I keep from falling after I do the mule kick? It happens every time. I don't even get what I'm doing wrong.

Ok. Mule kick takes longer to execute than other tricks, especially the 360. Hold the back dpad down until your guy has successfully landed the trick. 

Later in the game, you'll use mule kick to cover big gaps. Thats where this really becomes an issue because it feels like the trick is done when you are 3/4 of the way through it. You have to hold back all the way through or you will fall in the gaps

Edit: this is a frustrating aspect to learn, but once you get it, it opens you up to a really fun game. The halfpipe trains you to do the tricks so you can use them to survive backwoods later

Edited by NESfiend

21 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Ok. Mule kick takes longer to execute than other tricks, especially the 360. Hold the back dpad down until your guy has successfully landed the trick. 

Later in the game, you'll use mule kick to cover big gaps. Thats where this really becomes an issue because it feels like the trick is done when you are 3/4 of the way through it. You have to hold back all the way through or you will fall in the gaps

Edit: this is a frustrating aspect to learn, but once you get it, it opens you up to a really fun game. The halfpipe trains you to do the tricks so you can use them to survive backwoods later

I was doing the wrong stunt. That was the problem lol. It was a really dumb mistake. Half pipe is easy now.

Edited by mbd39
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I played this for the first time earlier today over on the practice field. It seems like Skate or Die crossed with Slalom. It's not bad, but I'm guessing it would take some practice to get a decent score.

I used to rent ski or die as a kid a lot and this is everything I hoped that would be. Wish my rental shop had had it. You should play it and get a score in. You are up there on sports list and this is the last game. And its good. 

My tight week opened up with a mandatory quarentine starting Tuesday. No golf tourney, but plenty of time to shred. Don't think I'll beat my score though. Pretty close to mistake free 

Edit: Updated score with a mistake free run. Point pressed well too. Done with no room to improve that Im aware of. If I kept doing runs, I think they'd be a few hundred better or worse at best. 

Edited by NESfiend

Just now, NESfiend said:

I used to rent ski or die as a kid a lot and this is everything I hoped that would be. Wish my rental shop had had it. You should play it and get a score in. You are up there on sports list and this is the last game. And its good. 

My tight week opened up with a mandatory quarentine starting Tuesday. No golf tourney, but plenty of time to shred. Don't think I'll beat my score though. Pretty close to mistake free 

Maybe I'll play some over the weekend, but football consumes most of my playing time in the fall. I was going to make an ice pun, but I had a brain freeze.

Now there's jumps that require that you do a toe grab. I press up to do the toe grab AND NOTHING HAPPENS AND I FUCKING FALL. FUCK THIS GAME UP ITS FUCKING ASS.

EDIT: I got the toe grab to work once. I still don't know when you have to press up.

Edited by mbd39
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mbd39 said:

Now there's jumps that require that you do a toe grab. I press up to do the toe grab AND NOTHING HAPPENS AND I FUCKING FALL. FUCK THIS GAME UP ITS FUCKING ASS.

EDIT: I got the toe grab to work once. I still don't know when you have to press up.

Lol you just have to make sure a is fully released before you start pressing up. Then hold it through the completion of the trick. You must be using mule kicks to clear gaps. You will only be required to execute the toe grab twice (half pipes 2 and 3) to complete the game

Edited by NESfiend
  • Like 1

In interest of keeping this share bear alive @NESfiendyou feel like sharing any scoring techniques? I've got 70g ripping tricks the whole run and died at backwoods 5 .  Finding it  hard to fathom picking up 200k in final level. Is it burning lives at the right time?  something else I'm missing.? 

Edited by 8bitdontquit