IGNORED

Acronyms to help users not in the know

Gloves

Administrator · Posted
11 minutes ago, Sumez said:

I never saw anyone claiming CIB stood for "Complete In Box" until like ~10 years ago.
Been using Cartridge/CD/"Content" - Instructions - Box on sales listings since the 90s.

At one point people definitely decided to try changing its meaning. Like that time people tried to claim LOL stood for "Lots of Laughter".

Who the hell tried to change what lol stood for? 

1 hour ago, Sumez said:

Like that time people tried to claim LOL stood for "Lots of Laughter".

When I first heard of the term (given the context in most cases) I thought it meant "lots of luck!"

There's also the classic story of someone talking about someone passing away or a funeral or something and ending with "lol" and when told that something like that is not a funny/laughing matter, it turns out they thought "lol" meant "lots of love" 😄 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sumez said:

I never saw anyone claiming CIB stood for "Complete In Box" until like ~10 years ago.
Been using Cartridge/CD/"Content" - Instructions - Box on sales listings since the 90s.

At one point people definitely decided to try changing its meaning. Like that time people tried to claim LOL stood for "Lots of Laughter".

Really? What are the “Instructions” for a CD? When were CD jewel cases referred to as a Box? Who used “Content” as a single word prior to social media and what Instructions are usually included with all Content? Have you ever heard of NIB (New In Box)? 

• Like 1

I'm not making shit up for the sake of argument here. I don't really have any investment in those abbreviations anyway. I'm just stating the facts. 😛
"Complete In Box" makes no sense though, because a CIB game isn't necessarily complete, considering collector stuff like obi, registration card etc.

The "contents" stuff was in quotes because it was usually applied (as another retcon I guess) to make some sort of sense in the situation where "Cartridge" didn't apply due to the spread of new formats. Originally it was just cartridge/instructions/box, because that's what matter to people when the term started seeing use.

5 hours ago, Sumez said:

Originally it was just cartridge/instructions/box, because that's what matter to people when the term started seeing use.

Sorry. I disagree. 

https://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/CIB
https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Help/FaqDetail/What-do-the-letters-MIB-NIB-etc-in-the-item-title-or-description-mean

Any other condition descriptor is about how much damage a piece has sustained, not a list of components.

https://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/sellingresources/itemconditionlookup.html
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coin_grading
http://www.rarityguide.com/forums/dolls/726-difference-between-never-removed-box-new-box-difference-between-never-removed-box-mint-box.html

The term started seeing use before video game collecting was a thing. 
https://www.ebay.com/itm/383690480350
https://www.ebay.com/itm/254683838544

CIB as (cartridge/CD/content) Instructions Box is less widely applicable. 

There is talk of both uses, always relating to video games. 
http://www.rfgeneration.com/news/classic-gaming/What-does-CIB-mean-to-you-837.php

Most sources not dedicated to video games describe the “Complete” usage but not the “____, Instructions, Box” use. 
https://www.acronymfinder.com/CIB.html
https://www.abbreviations.com/CIB

• Like 3
  • Wow! 1

16 hours ago, Link said:

Cartridge Instructions Box is a backronym people started using because the game experience is effectively complete with those three items. It’s also easy shorthand for buying/selling. Truly “complete” is difficult to verify, since most people didn’t care about other contents like registration cards and promo pamphlets BITD, as well as they changed often and inconsistently.

But Complete In Box is the correct phrase. It predates video games by many years. Decades, even.

Exactly.  That one has been beaten to death over the years and is a shining example of a "backronym" just like you say.

• Like 2

Graphics Team · Posted

I've got a few more that may or may not have been added already:

AVGN [Angry Video Game Nerd]

MJR [MetalJesusRocks (youtuber)]

CGQ [Classic Gaming Quarterly (youtuber)]

MLIG [My Life In Gaming (youtuber)]

PRGE [Portland Retro Gaming Expo]

MGC [Midwest Gaming Classic]

GDQ [Games Done Quick]

MAME [Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator]

NOAC [Nintendo-on-a-Chip (software emulation)]

FPGA [Field-Programmable-Gate-Array (hardware emulation)]

And might I suggest labeling CIB with both common uses to avoid confusion/frustration? [Complete-In-Box / Cartridge-Instructions-Box] That could be an elegant solution to the problem.

-CasualCart

• Like 3

Administrator · Posted
12 minutes ago, CasualCart said:

I've got a few more that may or may not have been added already:

AVGN [Angry Video Game Nerd]

MJR [MetalJesusRocks (youtuber)]

CGQ [Classic Gaming Quarterly (youtuber)]

MLIG [My Life In Gaming (youtuber)]

PRGE [Portland Retro Gaming Expo]

MGC [Midwest Gaming Classic]

GDQ [Games Done Quick]

MAME [Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator]

NOAC [Nintendo-on-a-Chip (software emulation)]

FPGA [Field-Programmable-Gate-Array (hardware emulation)]

And might I suggest labeling CIB with both common uses to avoid confusion/frustration? [Complete-In-Box / Cartridge-Instructions-Box] That could be an elegant solution to the problem.

-CasualCart

Added all these, and agreed re: the last point. 

• Like 2

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, Sumer said:

KLOV: Refers to the arcade collector website https://www.arcade-museum.com, but the literal acronym is “Killer Lister Of Videogames.”  But those video games are only arcade games and not console games.  🙃

This was kinda painful to read:

"The International Arcade Museum® (IAM) and Killer List of Videogames® at Museum of the Game® is the..."

That said, it's SO niche and the odds of it coming up are slim, but... maybe that's kinda what these are good for. I learned a little today, maybe someone else will in the future. I'll get it added, thanks.

1 minute ago, Gloves said:

This was kinda painful to read:

"The International Arcade Museum® (IAM) and Killer List of Videogames® at Museum of the Game® is the..."

That said, it's SO niche and the odds of it coming up are slim, but... maybe that's kinda what these are good for. I learned a little today, maybe someone else will in the future. I'll get it added, thanks.

It is actually a pretty big community over there, believe it or not!  As I mentioned in my introduction post yesterday, I was away from the old NA site and just came back yesterday to this site because KLOV and the arcade collecting hobby sucked me in for a few years.

With this site growing, and a ton of Nintendo arcade fans over there, I can see some of them migrating over here eventually to talk about about Nintendo’s arcade offerings.  🙂

Administrator · Posted
Just now, Sumer said:

It is actually a pretty big community over there, believe it or not!  As I mentioned in my introduction post yesterday, I was away from the old NA site and just came back yesterday to this site because KLOV and the arcade collecting hobby sucked me in for a few years.

With this site growing, and a ton of Nintendo arcade fans over there, I can see some of them migrating over here eventually to talk about about Nintendo’s arcade offerings.  🙂

Feel free to let them know about us; I don't see us as competing, so I don't think we'd really be like, stealing their users or anything.

TBH I'd love to see us working with other communities in the future. I don't see why we couldn't all come together and be friendly.

4 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Feel free to let them know about us; I don't see us as competing, so I don't think we'd really be like, stealing their users or anything.

TBH I'd love to see us working with other communities in the future. I don't see why we couldn't all come together and be friendly.

You got it!

No idea which will actually be relevant or useful, but I'll list all the ones I can think of that could potentially be referring to video games related things. 

RNG - Random Number Generation (Equivalent to 'luck' in speedrunning)
PPU - Picture Processing Unit (Nintendo Entertainment System) 
CPU - Central Processing Unit
SID - Sound Interface Device (Commodore)
VIC - Video Interface Chip (Commodore) 
C64 - Commodore 64
C128 - Commodore 128
TIA - Television Interface Adapter (Atari 2600
ROM - Read Only Memory 
RAM - Random Access Memory 
SRAM - Static Random Access Memory
VRAM - Video Random Access Memory 
RGB - Red Green Blue 
KHz - Kilohertz 
MHz - Megahertz
GHz - Gigahertz
HEX - Hexadecimal 
NWC - Nintendo World Championships 
CRT - Cathode Ray Tube
VGA - Video Graphics Array
CGA - Color Graphics Adapter
EGA - Enhanced Graphics Adapter
BPP - Bits Per Pixel
DIP - Dual In-line Package
SMD - Surface Mount Device
DIY - Do It Yourself 
IC - Integrated Circuit 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Administrator · Posted
44 minutes ago, TylerBarnes said:

No idea which will actually be relevant or useful, but I'll list all the ones I can think of that could potentially be referring to video games related things. 

RNG - Random Number Generation (Equivalent to 'luck' in speedrunning)
PPU - Picture Processing Unit (Nintendo Entertainment System) 
CPU - Central Processing Unit
SID - Sound Interface Device (Commodore)
VIC - Video Interface Chip (Commodore) 
C64 - Commodore 64
C128 - Commodore 128
TIA - Television Interface Adapter (Atari 2600
ROM - Read Only Memory 
RAM - Random Access Memory 
SRAM - Static Random Access Memory
VRAM - Video Random Access Memory 
RGB - Red Green Blue 
KHz - Kilohertz 
MHz - Megahertz
GHz - Gigahertz
HEX - Hexadecimal 
NWC - Nintendo World Championships 
CRT - Cathode Ray Tube
VGA - Video Graphics Array
CGA - Color Graphics Adapter
EGA - Enhanced Graphics Adapter
BPP - Bits Per Pixel
DIP - Dual In-line Package
DIY - Do It Yourself 
IC - Integrated Circuit 

All helpful, thanks for the contribution! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gloves said:

That said, it's SO niche and the odds of it coming up are slim

KLOV is pretty big, and I see it brought up very frequently in video game communities that aren't just centered around the NES 🙂 
It's just old and really bad at staying fresh and up to date. It has some misinformation out there too, but nevertheless it's a bit of a cornerstone in the history of video game collecting on the internet.

5 hours ago, TylerBarnes said:

As relevant as SMD vs through hole mounting of ICs is in terms of console modding, it would be kind of weird to have a video game community where SMD doesn't stand for Sega MegaDrive XD.

It would be like adding NES as "Nightmare on Elm Street".

Edited by Sumez
  • Like 2

Some items for consideration.

Spoiler

VB  -  Virtual Boy

DMG - Game Boy to Game Boy Color Black Carts

GB -  original Game Boy

OG - Original Game

MGB -  Pocket Game Boy

PTL - Play It Loud Game Boy

CGB - Color Game Boy

FCO - For China Only Game Boy Cart.