IGNORED

Acronyms to help users not in the know

Gloves

Administrator · Posted
3 minutes ago, CasualCart said:

Haha it's Shmup-Speed, right?

Okay, okay - I'll concede that it's not that bad, but I definitely prefer 'shoot-em-up', or 'space-shooter' where that's applicable. I'll stand down on that debate, though. Game-related semantics is a horrible, horrible rabbit hole to fall down (just look at how much hostility breeds when someone brings up the dictionary definition of 'retro').

-CasualCart

Try to think of shmup as a fun/funny term. Say it with a bit of an accent, or mess up the word itself and it beco on a bit of a gag. 

Shmip, shrimp, shump, skibidishmipbashmuh. 

- Repo = Repro = Reproduction = someone that needs this dictionary

- PSX = PlayStation 1

- H-Seam = Seam in the back of a sealed NES box. (I have no idea if this is outside of the scope of what you’re going for but this and y folds and all that stuff comes up a lot and I could see being confusing.  Also I don’t sealed so I don’t really know either.)

1 hour ago, CasualCart said:

The word 'shmup' may be lame, but I hear the user @Shmup is rad haha.
(I've really dug myself a hole with this, haven't I?)

Also - sick Dipper avatar. Gravity Falls is one of my favorite shows ever.

Hahaha you have redeemed yourself with your love of Gravity Falls, one of my favourites too!

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
4 minutes ago, ChickenTendas said:

This is random as fuck and no one asked for it, but AP stands for anti-piracy. Not too well known but it comes up fairly often.

Does PP stand for pro-piracy? Is THAT what those people that came to my door asking for were talking about?

That'll explain why they ran away screaming...

You really went the "Complete In Box" route? 🤦‍♀️

I demand that you also add "CB" = Complete Box and "CI" = Complete In, then, for games that are missing instructions or box 😛

Also:

AC = Assassin's Creed
AC = Armored Core
AC = Animal Crossing

AC = Ace Combat
AC = Astral Chain
AC = Armor Class
AC = Air Conditioning
AC = Alternating Current

On 9/13/2020 at 4:54 PM, GPX said:

Repro - Reproduction

Here's a really useful suggestion

Repro = Bootleg

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, Sumez said:

I demand that you also add "CB" = Complete Box and "CI" = Complete In, then, for games that are missing instructions or box 😛

Also:

AC = Assassin's Creed
AC = Armored Core
AC = Animal Crossing

AC = Ace Combat
AC = Astral Chain
AC = Armor Class
AC = Air Conditioning
AC = Alternating Current

Repro = Bootleg

CIB being "complete in box" makes the most universal sense. If C stands for Cart then anything disc or otherwise would need their own term(s). 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Sumez said:

Also:

AC = Assassin's Creed
AC = Armored Core
AC = Animal Crossing

AC = Ace Combat
AC = Astral Chain
AC = Armor Class
AC = Air Conditioning
AC = Alternating Current

Repro = Bootleg

I don’t think you’re playing this “game” right.. 🙂

This is about universal shortcuts to a longer word. Repro = Bootleg, is more an explanation than an abbreviation. I do get a yucky feeling when I see Repros sold on eBay though, which is unfortunately an increasingly common phenomena.

@gloves:

NM - Near Mint

VGC - very good condition

• Thanks 1

Cartridge Instructions Box is a backronym people started using because the game experience is effectively complete with those three items. It’s also easy shorthand for buying/selling. Truly “complete” is difficult to verify, since most people didn’t care about other contents like registration cards and promo pamphlets BITD, as well as they changed often and inconsistently.

But Complete In Box is the correct phrase. It predates video games by many years. Decades, even.

Edited by Link
  • Like 3

This is a really cool feature that ya added Gloves. I noticed it this morning when I made my most recent arcade repair blog. I haven't noticed any others (other than what was in this thread). Maybe "RAM" (Random Access Memory), "DRAM" (Dynamic Random Access Memory), "SRAM" (Static Random Access Memory), "ECL" (Emitter-Coupled Logic), "TTL" (Transistor Transistor Logic), or "CMOS" (Complementary Metal-Oxide Semiconductor). Perhaps too technical for the site. Another phrase that I've heard (not sure if added already) was "Minty", meaning in very pristine condition.

Edited by SNESNESCUBE64

5 hours ago, GPX said:

I don’t think you’re playing this “game” right.. 🙂

This is about universal shortcuts to a longer word. Repro = Bootleg, is more an explanation than an abbreviation. I do get a yucky feeling when I see Repros sold on eBay though, which is unfortunately an increasingly common phenomena.

@gloves:

NM - Near Mint

VGC - very good condition

Not all bootlegs are repros though, in the sense we are discussing

6 hours ago, Link said:

Cartridge Instructions Box is a backronym people started using because the game experience is effectively complete with those three items.

I never saw anyone claiming CIB stood for "Complete In Box" until like ~10 years ago.
Been using Cartridge/CD/"Content" - Instructions - Box on sales listings since the 90s.

At one point people definitely decided to try changing its meaning. Like that time people tried to claim LOL stood for "Lots of Laughter".

Edited by Sumez