IGNORED

Game Debate #14: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Rating explanations down below

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. Maybe one of the best released that year.
    • 7/10 - Very good, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • No interest in playing it.

4 or 5, I went 4 because “ There's plenty of better alternatives to this.

I was really excited for this game, and really disappointed with it. It’s the only game I’ve ever bought on launch day. Thanksgiving was at my place, and a friend asked what’s my favorite game. I said I didn’t know and pointed at the SS big box on top of the bookcase, ready to start the next day and said “maybe that one.” 

I was fine with the controls. I agree that the story was pretty good. Some of the environments were really cool. The one that stands out first in my memory now is the desert.

I hated Fi probably most of all. S T F U Fi! And stop with the fucking dancing! On the pirate ship when she makes you stop to discuss the enormous door with a lock bigger than Link and ask if it might be important, I almost quit the game at that point. Yes that’s the boss door and yes, I think I would have seen it without the forced monologue before I even got to walk near it.

The collecting quests to enter new areas were out of hand. Fighting Demise and Ghirahim three times each was tiresome. Also I could do without Ghirahim’s flirting. The separation of areas is really bad for the flow of a Zelda game, and I hated having to constantly go up and down to Skyloft just to do the next thing that the game makes you go back and forth for. Enemies like Moblins and Octoroks seemed very contrived in how you have to handle them, as do some dungeon layout ideas (such as tunnels for the beetle).

Idk who at Nintendo noticed all of this crap, but somebody was very smart to remove it for the next game. 

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted

I started this game years ago and thought it was ok. I finished the first dungeon, and then got stuck at some place where you have to roll a bomb across a narrow bridge or something. Every time I thought about picking it back up, I thought "oh I have to do that bomb roll thing." and I guess my enjoyment of the game before that point wasn't enough to make me want to try the bomb roll again, and now, years later, Link still hasn't gotten past that bridge.

In comparison, I played through all of Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks. Spirit Tracks is the better of the two, easily.

• Like 1

I really really wanted to like this game. I love Zelda and this game just didn't do it for me. The graphics are great, the music is superb, the characters are generally lively and memorable and even the combat system was innovative when it worked. But my God what a boring and repetitive quest this was. Most of the dungeons were good but everything in between them was painstakingly dull, nevermind the fact that you have to traverse them each multiple times. Why make new areas when you can reuse the same 3 areas over and over. On top of that, the motion controls were hit or miss. Most of the time combat worked fine and when it worked it felt great. But when it didn't it was frustrating at best. Swimming and flying with motion controls was a horrible horrible idea. And the story was...alright at best. This was the origin story and I was not impressed. And Fi...where do I even begin? Navi is a pure joy of a partner compared to Fi's constantly interruptions. All this into a 40 hour adventure.

All in all I didn't hate it but where most Zelda's rank between an 8.5 to a 10, this is a ways below the average at a 6. I'm probably even being generous. Like I said, I really really wanted to like this game. When I first picked this game up I loved it. But that love died very quickly when I realized what a redundant adventure it was going to be. 6/10

• Like 1

5/10. This is the only console Zelda game I have never finished. Got a fair amount into the game, but the motion controls wore me down. The control is much worse that Twilight Princess. It has been so long since I played Skyward Sword. I don’t even remember much about the game besides the bad controls. 

8 hours ago, OptOut said:

Not played this one yet, but it's on my shelf and on my to do list. I've got quite a high tolerance for annoying bullshit in my games (hey, I'm an N64 fan, what can I say!), so I think I'll probably really enjoy this game.

Based on your "angry" reactions to my posts about DS "Zelda" games, I think you're self assessment is accurate 😉 😛

• Wow! 1

I really wanted to go higher on this one, but in good conscience I just can't so it got a 6.  The thing is, it's not a bad game in story, or locations, items, weapons, and all that.  It absolutely *IS* a bad game when it comes to some critical issues, DefaultGen nailed the mian one...god awful control.  The forced so called 1:1 controls from motion plus are a mixed bag of solid to solidly broken.  The game soured me in one respect right from the beginning, the controls against Ghirahim requires this very small window where you block and then poke check the dude to open up for some swinging action to damage the boss enough to move the story along. The problem is, even as the game (1st time) instructs you how and when to do this, it does NOT WORK.  Ultimately I never finished game, but I did probably 2/3 of it, and each time this clown came up it was a nerve racking life sucking pain in the ass.  I never could get the controls to do as promised, so I ended up taking severe damage having max (at the point) restorative bottles and life to start and I'd shield bash the dude repeatedly taking hits doing it to stagger him to hit back.

It worked, barely, but between that and the repeating imprisoned, the overly chatty slow moments, the forced way going to places was handled, it sucked the life right out of the game.  Had the characters, world/stage designs of spaces, and locations had been less fine I'd have bailed far earlier.  I would have completely finished and tolerated the game if the controls weren't crap.  I hope the rumored remake of this happens, as such, the 1:1 would be optional on switch and not default either, so I think the game would be fun at that point as it would get reworked.

(Same can be said for the duo of awful DS titles with forced touch only play that caused so many lame unintentional rolls to damage and death.  Both would have been far better and fun, especially the 2nd without the backtrack re-run dungeon from hell, with regular control as a choice.)

I actually preordered this game, at the least the cool wiimote and included cd were neat lol

I played through the first maybe second dungeon. Got bored. not very engaging and kinda tedious. Lots of forced and contrived bits, also way too linear imho for a zelda game. Might try to pick it back up at some point, but not now (also would need to find my Wii lol)

5/10

I have this game somewhere still I think, or might have traded it to a local retro game shop, I can't remember. But I played it for a couple of hours maybe don't even know if I got to the first dungeon. It was so boring I just didn't go back to it. Don't even remember anything from that short play through. So I can't really give it a rating