IGNORED

Game Debate #14: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Rating explanations down below

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. Maybe one of the best released that year.
    • 7/10 - Very good, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • No interest in playing it.

I haven't played it either.  I actually never really fully played through a Zelda game until Breath of the Wild.  However, since then, I've played through the Link's Awakening remake and the original Link's Awakening on GB.  I think I've come to realize that I like Zelda games and I would like to eventually work my way through the other main series games.  

• Like 2

Events Team · Posted

Wait, I picked this?

OK, apparently I picked this 😆

I haven't played it in a few years, but I remember really enjoying it. Despite it being one of the few "bad" Zelda games in a lot of people's eyes, I still think it's a great game. None of the mainline Zelda games are bad IMO. I also didn't have any issues with the controls, I thought they worked well most of the time. I'll go with an 8. Hopefully the rumored Switch remaster will come to fruition so I can try it out again soon.

Events Team · Posted
Just now, RH said:

Never owned it.  Never played it.  I'd be willing too though.  I've also not looked up game footage, but from the trailer it doesn't look very Zelda-like, other than showing off the characters.

The world has a slightly different aesthetic to a lot of the Zelda games, since it's chronologically the first game in the timeline, but the gameplay isn't too dissimilar to other Zelda games I don't think. The dungeons in particular are very Zelda from what I remember.

Editorials Team · Posted
13 minutes ago, ZeldaFreak said:

Wait, I picked this?

OK, apparently I picked this 😆

I haven't played it in a few years, but I remember really enjoying it. Despite it being one of the few "bad" Zelda games in a lot of people's eyes, I still think it's a great game. None of the mainline Zelda games are bad IMO. I also didn't have any issues with the controls, I thought they worked well most of the time. I'll go with an 8. Hopefully the rumored Switch remaster will come to fruition so I can try it out again soon.

Oh wait, it was @ChickenTendas

Christ, I knew it was some teenager or another.

• Haha 2

Events Team · Posted
1 minute ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Oh wait, it was @ChickenTendas

Christ, I knew it was some teenager or another.

OK, that makes sense. I was about to say, I don't recall even being asked what my pick would be for one of these, I was starting to wonder if I was coming down with amnesia or something 😆

It was an 8 for me, controls were a problem at the beginning but with practice they got better so it ended up not being a negative aspect for me, however the constant fetch quests and later silent realms got boring quickly and Fi was a little annoying too, but I enjoyed basically everything else, the best parts for me were the dungeons, bosses were fine but some a little annoying, art style and story were also good, overall not perfect but it is definitively worth playing.

5/10, the only pretty bad Zelda game. Not horrible only because of the Zelda-y things it keeps like dungeons, quirky NPCs, and nice art. Like, Skyloft is pretty cool?

It’s overlong. Too much dialogue, too many cut scenes, fighting the Imprisoned 3 times? Jesus Christ. The motion controls make all the combat super gimmicky and are horrible, imprecise, calibration-losing M+ controls. Even the menus use motion controls, please cut me slack Nintendo! The blue lady interrupts to point you exactly where to go or over-tutorialize way too often, making the game just feel like a naggy todo list of backtracking, “trials”, and fetch quests rather than an important adventure. There’s no overworld so nothing about the world feels cohesive like literally every other Zelda game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ZeldaFreak said:

I guess I'll just sit over here in my corner clutching my copies of Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks crying to myself

I'm not saying it isn't OK to like those games, I guess, because to each his own.

But they are "Zelda games" in name only 😉 😛 I might actually prefer the CDi games as "zelda games" to them 😛 (not really, I haven't played the CDi games)

• Angry 1

i got this on sale back in the day at best buy. The soundtrack included copy. They had it for a deal to liquidate some for 15 in an ad flier when it was still 50 new. I was driving back home and remembered it as I was passing by a best buy. It was like 5 minutes before close and I ran in  and got a copy. It was the last one they had on the last day of the deal.  I didnt play it then so it stayed sealed. Its still sealed.  Now I cant bring myself to open it since sealed its about 60 bucks.

Edited by Quest4Nes

4 hours ago, ZeldaFreak said:

I was going to write my own opinion but this pretty much summarizes it for me as well. I don't think it's as bad as people make it out to be, but certainly not a top tier Zelda. 

• Like 1

i rated this an 8. it may be a bit higher than it deserves, but it's Zelda and i did love the game when it came out.

a loved the setting. the gameplay was fun, although it didn't have a ton of advances or improvements over the last couple games. the NPCs were colorful and interesting, even if Fi was quite overbearing. i loved the first 2/3rds of this game. once you had to start revisiting the areas you'd already been to i found it repetitive and dull (relatively speaking. i still enjoyed it).  and as @DefaultGen mentioned, fighting the Imprisoned 3 times was just ridiculous. But the colors, the setting, the storyline, the Loftwings..... i really enjoyed this game.

side note: i was working at Target and there was a massive discount on this game at one point. We had a ton of copies left....i'm talking 30+ for a game that was over a year old. Some guy came in and asked how many he could buy. i sold him a full case (i don't think it was unopened but it might have been). i tried keeping an eye on eBay to see if i could spot him, but no luck. Also never saw the box go up for sale, even though i expected it to since it clearly said "Legend of Zelda" on the side. 

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
9 minutes ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

I was going to write my own opinion but this pretty much summarizes it for me as well. I don't think it's as bad as people make it out to be, but certainly not a top tier Zelda. 

Yeah, I would say out of all the Zelda games, Skyward Sword is probably my least favorite of the bunch, but considering the rating I still gave it, that's not saying a whole lot.

• Like 1