IGNORED

I'm interested in a fan translation, quality repro of FF II and FF III. What should I look for?

RH

I might not be ready to buy these, but I'd like to get an NES copy of FF II and FF III.  I know that fan translation hack roms are out there and I know there are plenty of repro carts to be had.  However, what I'd like to find is the cream-of-the-crop versions of these fan repro carts.

Which are the best ones to get in regards to quality and packaging. I wouldn't mind CIB copies if those exist with really nice boxes and manuals.  I'm sure someone, or some company, has made these.  What should I look for.

Also, as much as I want a "nice copy" of these games, I'm not looking for $500 repros.  I know that some repros and homebrews actually get into the super-expensive range.  I'm hoping to find a labor of love fan project that's modestly accessible.  Does that exist?

OCD Reproductions and Flashback Entertainment make both titles CIB, with maps and manuals, for about $75 each. The OCD FF2 art is taken from the Famicom art, if you want that level of precision.

Other than that, you might find someone on Etsy who can make/sell them.

edit: OCD uses this translation: https://www.romhacking.net/translations/2656/

Not sure what Flashback uses, possibly the older Demiforce one. I'd contact them to ask.

Edited by Tulpa
  • Thanks 1

Do not buy a Chinese copy of English FF III without doing your homework; many have a glitch that makes your airship disappear early in the game, rendering the final 98% of the game unplayable.  I even checked on my friend's "X in 1" multicart, and sure enough, about an hour into the game, I was stuck where I was forever...

11 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Do not buy a Chinese copy of English FF III without doing your homework; many have a glitch that makes your airship disappear early in the game, rendering the final 98% of the game unplayable.  I even checked on my friend's "X in 1" multicart, and sure enough, about an hour into the game, I was stuck where I was forever...

Yeah, this is 100% what I want to avoid and I will not buy something like this direct from China.  Those OCD games look nice.  FF II is in stock, but they are out of III's.  Hopefully they plan to make another batch and I'll have the cash when I'm ready.  Thanks @Tulpa!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

I can definitely recommend OCD's work.  Labels look really nice and I've never had any issues.

Even if he's out of stock, you can usually custom order unless that game takes a special board?

How do their boards look? Are they using flash chips? Are there jumper wires all over the place?