IGNORED

Help identifying/playing a potential Silent Hill 2 prototype.

Kimbolemonslice

I found a really poorly listed game for ps2 that looks like it may be a prototype. I dont have it yet, and am waiting for it in the mail. I would love to play it and see the differences between this version and the retail version. its on a burnt disc with a purple bottom, What would I need to get to play it when it gets here? Does the MCboot memory card work for prototypes/burnt games?

Edited by Kimbolemonslice

• The title was changed to Help playing a potential Silent Hill 2 prototype.

The game I made this thread for was a "e3 2001 beta disc" for silent hill 2. I was looking everywhere for any information on it but all I could find was a reddit post and a youtube video with some gameplay. The game just got mailed to me and I bought a mcboot and a swap tool for my PS2 I'm hoping that will help me play it. I would love to hear if you guys think it's legit I really took a shot in the dark buying it. Sorry for the crappy pictures I am on my cell phone at work. I am super excited to see what is actually on the disc.

Screenshot_20200910-223533.thumb.png.7955223d5919850145353f71a64446d3.pngScreenshot_20200910-223552.thumb.png.671b2d3cc63c1093219114e935a9aded.png

I would have said no but there are a few facts that are changing my mind.

• They used replaceable labels so they can change the game on the disc and no have to continuously scribble out old names. They can just apply a new label with the new game.
  • E3 was in June of that year so the date is correct.
  • The game was released in September 2001.

I also found this from a June 2001 report on the exposition:

Sony PlayStation2
The PS2 was boasting some interesting second-generation titles like Herdy Gerdy, Gran Turismo 3, Devil May Cry and Metal Gear Solid 2. The level of artistic sophistication found in such titles as Konami's Silent Hill 2 is impressive, bringing to mind Square's upcoming feature film Final Fantasy: The Movie.

Blending fantasy and real-life, Infogrames' Stuntman will allow players to take on the role of a stuntman who must perfect outrageous stunts in front of the camera to create the awesome chases, jumps, powerslides and near-collisions we see in the summer blockbusters. Not only will you get to live out your stuntman fantasy, but you will also get a chance to act as director -- with the in-game movie making tool you'll have the chance to place cameras, make cuts and build your own mini-film of your favorite stunts.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

I would have said no but there are a few facts that are changing my mind.

• They used replaceable labels so they can change the game on the disc and no have to continuously scribble out old names. They can just apply a new label with the new game.
  • E3 was in June of that year so the date is correct.
  • The game was released in September 2001.

I also found this from a June 2001 report on the exposition:

Sony PlayStation2
The PS2 was boasting some interesting second-generation titles like Herdy Gerdy, Gran Turismo 3, Devil May Cry and Metal Gear Solid 2. The level of artistic sophistication found in such titles as Konami's Silent Hill 2 is impressive, bringing to mind Square's upcoming feature film Final Fantasy: The Movie.

Man you broke me down now I'm pumped up again lol.

• The title was changed to Help identifying/playing a potential Silent Hill 2 prototype.

As you guys are suggesting, let's not forget that demos come in two forms--playable and non-playable.  There is a small chance this disc is legit from E3, but maybe they just had a burnt video DVD playing in the PS2.

As @Code Monkey mentioned, who knows why they didn't just burn the whole game and have it playable but, maybe, this was because they were getting close to the wire on having to get the gold master files to production but still had some noticeable bugs or little polish details yet to complete.  You'd think that wouldn't happen but sometimes it does.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, spacepup said:

@Kimbolemonslice Pop the disc in a computer, and show us what the file structure looks like / what files are in the main directory, and I can tell you a little bit more about the disc.  Have it show the file details such as modified dates.

I will do that my only problem is I don't have a computer with a DVD ROM drive, I may just buy one to see. I am a little confused by your last post is that an actual copy of the e3 beta or are you making a point saying you could whip one up really quick?

Administrator · Posted

Sorry, it was me being silly.  I whipped that one up, just sort of exemplifying why it is really difficult sometimes to test validity of some of these discs.  It's unfortunate, but there are some unsavory folks out there creating these fakes and selling them.

It doesn't mean yours isn't legit, it's just a bit tricky.

Sometimes you can analyze the media itself to determine, or look at the actual dump to look for things like the primary volume descriptor, modified dates, etc.  Some of that can still be faked though.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OptOut said:

Doesn't delivered to agent mean they've delivered it to a local company who will then deliver it on to you?

It says there "delivered to agent FOR final delivery". I presume that means it's still on the way dude! 🙂

It means it was delivered to the general building address, but not to the OP or his household. Usually it means it's reached the mailroom of a company, but for apartments, it tends to mean that the apartment manager has it.

Or in principle, that's what it means. I've heard stories of postal dudes dropping packages off with any rando who happens to be in the vicinity of the apartment who says, "Yeah, sure, I'll make sure they get the package." And then the intended recipient never sees it.

@Kimbolemonslice, check with your apartment manager. It might be with them.

Edited by Tulpa

Don't forget that the E3 playable preview of Silent Hill 2 is already released online, available to download. Not saying that's the nail on the coffin, but it is certainly a factor to consider. So even if the dates on this disc seem consistent with the time frame of E3 2001, it's not as indicative of the legitimacy.

Edited by prototector

2 hours ago, prototector said:

Don't forget that the E3 playable preview of Silent Hill 2 is already released online, available to download. Not saying that's the nail on the coffin, but it is certainly a factor to consider. So even if the dates on this disc seem consistent with the time frame of E3 2001, it's not as indicative of the legitimacy.

The files would have a date created as well as a date modified so if the date created says 2001 I think its legit