IGNORED

Dune

fox

It looks like they borrowed more from the David Lynch film than they did the actual book.  I've seen other remakes do this as well, Conan, Total Recall, etc.  It would be nice to see someone go back to the source and do something original for a change, but the movie industry is too afraid to take those kinds of chances.

8 minutes ago, CMR said:

It looks like they borrowed more from the David Lynch film than they did the actual book.  I've seen other remakes do this as well, Conan, Total Recall, etc.  It would be nice to see someone go back to the source and do something original for a change, but the movie industry is too afraid to take those kinds of chances.

Having re-read the entire original saga relatively recently, I'm curious as to what you're seeing in the trailer that is from Lynch's adaptation and not the original source material.  Beyond the weirding modules and the voice destruction power that Lynch's version granted Paul, I'm hard pressed to really think of anything in Lynch's version that didn't come from the original book.  There were a lot of bits and pieces here and there that either got cut for time or didn't get filmed at all, but nothing pops immediately to mind beyond the previously mentioned change that was straight up created for that movie.

10 minutes ago, CMR said:

It's Denis  Villeneuve. If anyone can do this movie well, he can.

• Like 1

Im pretty excited to check this out.  Hopefully better than the Sting version.
I really enjoyed this book series...mostly.  It kind of went off the rails for me with the space Jews thing.
I’d actually really like to see some of the later books in movie form.  I’d be all for some God Emperor action.

22 hours ago, JVOSS said:

side by side comparison

https://youtu.be/CcZPZGq3Zy8

Yea that's pretty much what I'm talking about.  I've read the book too, and even though Lynch's movie follows the story pretty closely it still makes quite a few creative design choices that are different from the book or left vague in the reading.  It's been a while since I've read it, though, so I can't give a list of things that are different off hand.

1 hour ago, CMR said:

Yea that's pretty much what I'm talking about.  I've read the book too, and even though Lynch's movie follows the story pretty closely it still makes quite a few creative design choices that are different from the book or left vague in the reading.  It's been a while since I've read it, though, so I can't give a list of things that are different off hand.

It's entirely too premature to say that it borrows more from Lynch's film than the source material. You're basing that assumption on shot for shot comparisons to the trailers?

The voice weapons, the crazy mutated guild navigators, the weird boils and puss on Vlad, the unnecessary heart valve thing with the servant, Sting, etc don't appear to be present in the new trailer. So what exactly are you seeing that strays from the book?

I read the book a few months ago, and I'm also cautiously optimistic about this one. (Or 2, because I heard rumor that it was actually going to be broken into 2 films)

If they do indeed split it into 2, I wonder where the split would be made. Perhaps somewhere around Paul and Jessica's escape or the point where they meet up with the Fremen?

58 minutes ago, Br81zad said:

It's entirely too premature to say that it borrows more from Lynch's film than the source material. You're basing that assumption on shot for shot comparisons to the trailers?

The voice weapons, the crazy mutated guild navigators, the weird boils and puss on Vlad, the unnecessary heart valve thing with the servant, Sting, etc don't appear to be present in the new trailer. So what exactly are you seeing that strays from the book?

That's what I'm talking about, although the crazy mutated guild navigators were a thing in the books, they just weren't described overly specifically, leaving Lynch some leeway to go wild with the design he approved.  Good call on the Harkonnen weirdness, those bits slipped my mind where it's been a while since I've watched the original movie.

58 minutes ago, Br81zad said:

If they do indeed split it into 2, I wonder where the split would be made. Perhaps somewhere around Paul and Jessica's escape or the point where they meet up with the Fremen?

Honestly, if they want to do it right, I'm thinking it's either got to be an overly long movie or, preferably for most, split into two parts.  I would think that the "cheap" (as in, "Aw, c'mon!") place for them to cut would be right after Paul and Jessica make it to the rock outcropping but before the worm is lured away by a thumper, and definitely before the desert Fremen are shown.  Somewhere around there would be a good spot for them to cut, regardless, as the book is really divided into two parts--Paul as a member of the Landsraad, then Paul as a member of the Fremen.

10 hours ago, Br81zad said:

Yes, and based on what I've seen so far I don't see any reason to change this opinion.

Edited by CMR

On 9/13/2020 at 11:16 AM, CMR said:

Yes, and based on what I've seen so far I don't see any reason to change this opinion.

Would you care to elaborate on what the trailer has taken from Lynch's film specifically that isn't or couldn't be interpreted in the exact same way from the original source material?  I'm failing to see what you're so convinced of based on the single trailer and handful of promo photos currently released.  The new movie isn't all that different from the early 2000s SciFi Channel miniseries either, so is it a clone of that as well?  Or are they all just stealing from Lynch?

8 hours ago, darkchylde28 said:

Would you care to elaborate on what the trailer has taken from Lynch's film specifically that isn't or couldn't be interpreted in the exact same way from the original source material?  I'm failing to see what you're so convinced of based on the single trailer and handful of promo photos currently released.  The new movie isn't all that different from the early 2000s SciFi Channel miniseries either, so is it a clone of that as well?  Or are they all just stealing from Lynch?

I just think it looks like the Lynch film.  There is nothing that says it has to look the way it does.  Look up Jodorowsky's Dune on a completely different take on the source material.  I'm not going to give you a detailed breakdown to pick apart because I don't have any argument like that.  I watched the trailer and just got a general impression from what I was seeing that it looked like they just did a remake of the Lynch film.  There isn't anything wrong with that, I like the Lynch film, but I think the book has a lot more depth that could be drawn from.  For example, Herbert drew a lot of inspiration from things like Arthurian Legend, the Roman empire, and the middle east.  There is also a lot of subtext about environmentalism and ecology in the book.  I didn't see any of that stuff in the trailer.  I just saw a preview for a movie I felt I had already seen before.

Edited by CMR

21 hours ago, Hammerfestus said:

I thinks we got us a anti Dunite boys.  Prolly into them thar Lord Of the Rings or some such works of the devil.  Get the behind me Stan!

Afraid not.  I enjoyed the original movie despite not really understanding what was going on and finally figured out "everything" after 5-10 views when I was young.  A few years after, I stumbled upon a first print of the original book in a paperback shop, picked up, and rapidly devoured it.  Never quite got to the other books until earlier this year (now done with Frank Herbert's original books but refusing to read any of the followups due to the involvement of known hack Kevin J. Anderson), but mostly enjoyed them as well.  It doesn't add much, but I also played both of the original PC games when they were new and relevant, although I avoided Dune 2000 sine it was just a higher requirements remake of Dune 2 and was out of PC gaming when the last big game came out.

12 hours ago, CMR said:

I just think it looks like the Lynch film.  There is nothing that says it has to look the way it does.  Look up Jodorowsky's Dune on a completely different take on the source material.  I'm not going to give you a detailed breakdown to pick apart because I don't have any argument like that.  I watched the trailer and just got a general impression from what I was seeing that it looked like they just did a remake of the Lynch film.  There isn't anything wrong with that, I like the Lynch film, but I think the book has a lot more depth that could be drawn from.  For example, Herbert drew a lot of inspiration from things like Arthurian Legend, the Roman empire, and the middle east.  There is also a lot of subtext about environmentalism and ecology in the book.  I didn't see any of that stuff in the trailer.  I just saw a preview for a movie I felt I had already seen before.

I get that, but if one is going to adapt it into a movie for the general populace to consume, I think that the broad strokes that are shown are definitely the right ones to show and shoot as part of the movie.  Lynch shot a lot of extra stuff that got cut and forgotten about for decades simply because the movie (and really, that universe, at that time) was already too weird for your average moviegoer and didn't do anything to further the overall plot, even if it was more faithful to the novel.  I don't think it's fair to judge the movie until it's actually out, as it's extremely hard to tell whether this new version dives more deeply into the less prominent themes of the novel without more to go on.  Judging it solely on material that's more or less required for it to be a coherent story (and representative of the overall main arc of the novel) is being unfair, if not petty.

I see the same things that you're now talking about, but with the additional care seeming to have been taken during casting (an actually active, adventurous Duncan Idaho, for example), it gives me hope that we'll see something different here.  Unlike many, though, the choice of director is one of the things that gives me doubts, as I'm not really a fan of his Blade Runner sequel despite being a relative superfan of the original movie.  Villeneuve obviously has the skill to bring something new and different to the screen based on his previous efforts, but think that we'll just have to wait and see if he's actually succeeded with Dune or not.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

So what the hell.  they made this in to a 2 part movie.  the worst damn thing is WB has not green lighted the second part....

they spend to much time on the intro and not moving the movie along.  i watch this and hand to bleach my brain by watching the Smity Release 3 time. still can get the crap out of my head.  why, why, god why give a great b movie a "f" movie remake.  ill stay with the second original release.