IGNORED

This is Real. or Its Alive

JVOSS

IIRC these were an authorized paint job by Nintendo, from the toy shop Chameleon Club in Japan.

I have no idea what the numbers are, but this one is called "Red marble" and there is also a "White marble" version. 

They are not real wood AFAIK. And yes these are very hard to come by, awesome find! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Meh i don't know about these releases where someone got to stamp there logo on the console and call it something exclusive. There's a few of that for GB with Milka, Planet Hollywood and whatnot. Seems like a semi-legit/semi-shitty type of limited edition where someone got the greenlight but at the same time there wasn't anyone who bothered much either so they just shit it out and it's good to go. This is not part of "real" GB collecting to me it's a novelty and a sideshow.

@cartman, i have to agree to disagree.  Nintendo was very smart and very calculating on the steps they did and the why.  Just to get your name on a unit was millions not the 99.99 per unit. To put it in perspective, a standard unit cost may have been $35. but a branded unit would have netted around 1000 in cost but in visibility it was like 30000 to Nintendo and like 100,000 to the branded.  The collectability was never a point of these units and if it was well then there is the added cost.  Just think your branded units are visible and desirable 10, 20, 30 years after the last production run.  

Have you ever read a Nintendo Contract?

Actually the "real" GB collecting is the act of getting something that is not generally available to other for the "show it off", "make others go wow" factor, and yes the history.  Any person can get the locally available units but its the units you have to hunt for or the "Pry it from my dead fingers" that makes this interesting to the largest collectors.

For the small secular collectors the "sub set", "simi-legit/semi-shitty type" collections will not be part of a real collection because is was not main stream and "Locally available"

so basically what I'm saying is that a unit that is only 50 - 10000 are not in the "real collection"? Then why are you collecting? ie what is your end goal?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Magus said:

IIRC these were an authorized paint job by Nintendo, from the toy shop Chameleon Club in Japan.

I have no idea what the numbers are, but this one is called "Red marble" and there is also a "White marble" version. 

They are not real wood AFAIK. And yes these are very hard to come by, awesome find! 

@Magus,  adding this data to Gameboy Talk Blog

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JVOSS said:

@cartman, i have to agree to disagree.  Nintendo was very smart and very calculating on the steps they did and the why.  Just to get your name on a unit was millions not the 99.99 per unit. To put it in perspective, a standard unit cost may have been $35. but a branded unit would have netted around 1000 in cost but in visibility it was like 30000 to Nintendo and like 100,000 to the branded.  The collectability was never a point of these units and if it was well then there is the added cost.  Just think your branded units are visible and desirable 10, 20, 30 years after the last production run.  

Actually the "real" GB collecting is the act of getting something that is not generally available to other for the "show it off", "make others go wow" factor, and yes the history.  Any person can get the locally available units but its the units you have to hunt for or the "Pry it from my dead fingers" that makes this interesting to the largest collectors.

For the small secular collectors the "sub set", "simi-legit/semi-shitty type" collections will not be part of a real collection because is was not main stream and "Locally available"

so basically what I'm saying is that a unit that is only 50 - 10000 are not in the "real collection"? Then why are you collecting? ie what is your end goal?

Agreed. A limited system is a limited system. Whether it be nothing more than a small stamp or logo on a system, or a full on custom unit. 

Just because he thinks it isn't "real" collecting doesn't make them any less real to collect than any of the other stuff we collect in this hobby lol

Some of the GBP/GBC/GBA limited systems are insanely hard to find. Some so hard, they don't even have much documentation proving they even exist or where they came from. Part of the fun is seeing those units and trying to find the history on them and digging up their origin. Even if it is just a system with a stamped logo on it. It's a cool part of video game history. 

To each their own i guess 🤷‍♂️

Just now, JVOSS said:

I'm not saying they weren't profitable maybe they were i'm saying they are a lesser type of special edition to me. They aren't official in the same why as the other colors/partnerships. It's not about availability per se either the Famitsu released Light systems were limited aswell but they are not in the same category as that wooden version.

Just now, JVOSS said:

@cartman, so what your saying is that your a "Main Stream Collector?"

I don't know what that means really. But let's take a dedicated box as an aspect, i think there's a tangible difference between there being one and there not being one and you merely stamp a small logo in the middle of the console and insert it in the Tetris bundle. 

10 minutes ago, cartman said:

I don't know what that means really. But let's take a dedicated box as an aspect, i think there's a tangible difference between there being one and there not being one and you merely stamp a small logo in the middle of the console and insert it in the Tetris bundle. 

"Main Street Collector"  a person that collect's or has a collection that is personal in nature.  sometimes referred to as nostalgia collecting.

Just now, JVOSS said:

"Main Street Collector"  a person that collect's or has a collection that is personal in nature.  sometimes referred to as nostalgia collecting.

Ah ok. 

No i wouldn't say that. I grew up with 1 first gen. GB and 1 GBC regular consoles and yet i have multiple special edition ones today that i didn't even knew existed back then. 

1 minute ago, VegaVegas said:

GayBoys seem to be the most custom made and the shittiest designed consoles at the same time then

It is legitimately one of the shittiest designed consoles because it's barely functional. There's so much screen ghosting going on. It's a solid build but the functionality itself is garbage.

3 minutes ago, JVOSS said:

@cartman,

so is there a deference in the GBP Hello Kitty short box and the GBP Hello Kitty fat box?  which one belongs in a collection? 

or even the Toyota GBP.

That to me would be like a first and second variant release. From what i can discern with my eyes because i own neither of them. Both count.

The Toyota GBP i don't own that either but it seems legit to me. Underwhelming in it's presentation but still released like a bonafide limited edition.