IGNORED

VGS Weekly Contest - The Guardian Legend

BeaIank

Events Team · Posted

Ladies and gentlemen, it is TIME!

Time for our players to gather up, turn into an anime girl that in turn... turns into a space ship... that shoots things? WTH?
Who the hell comes up with this kind of stuff! This is MADNESS!

Anyway, our brave soldiers will tackle this game following the rules below:

• Enter in the password “TGL.”  This will allow you to only play the shooting stages.
  • Play until you die (run out of life)
  • Take your picture as you die (you can pause the game as you die)
  • Get as far in the game as possible
  • The areas are played in this order: 0 1 11 12 2 13 3 14 4 15 5 16 6 17 7 18 8 19 9 20 10 21 22
  • Furthest progression wins with highest score taking precedence
  • No intentional point pressing during boss fight
  • Participation: Get to Area 1
  • guillavoie's special rule : Everyone must act over enthusiastic about the quality of the game.
  • GENRE: Shooter

The contest ends Sunday, 09/06/20 at 11 PM VGS time.  Your user name MUST be written or typed on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, slow motion functions, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Events Team · Posted
1st Gloves Area 22 - 2,252,680
2nd CMR Area 9 - 1,206,830
3rd Gaia Gensouki Area 8 - 1,135,110
4th Tablew/chairs Area 7 - 878,810
5th 8bitdontquit Area 16 - 607,570
6th bertsampson Area 5 - 545,590
7th skinnygrinny Area 14 - 353,900
8th Jeevan Area 3 - 350,370
9th CasualCart Area 3 - 295,170
10th NESfiend Area 2 - 181,950
11th JamesRobot Area 12 - 136,490
12th ninjistar Area 12 - 123,440
13th mbd39 Area 12 - 115,920
14th Jicsan Area 12 - 108,360
15th Ausden Area 11 - 93,860
16th 0xDEAFC0DE Area 11 - 87,920
17th Murray Area 11 - 81,740

My participation score. I can already tell that I don't like this game enough to play it over and over again until I'd get a halfway decent score. It reminds me too much of Zanac, just without the crazy power ups.

Area 8 - 1,135,110

Guardian Legend Score 3.jpg

Edited by Gaia Gensouki
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

This should be an easy win for @docile tapeworm. I've beaten the arcade mode and I'm average at best when it comes to shooters.

anybody who can clear will have a shot this week. the point system is not made for a contest. its still super fun to play. ill clear it and take whever that places me.... aka 3rd 🙂 

• Haha 1

this game has gorgeous graphics/sprites, little flickr or slowdown, pretty goos music and excellent control.

one of my favorite shooters. and would have never known of it if not for the contest. when last we played i didnt think highly of it. guil insited i give it some time and effort.... im glad i listened.

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
19 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

please do 😉

I could do worse. I could go back to the original rules of progression + low score so you all would be as bored as I was on the later levels back then, avoiding the hell out of everything to not score points.
Give this a SERIOUS consideration.
I am feeling particularly EVIL today.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BeaIank said:

I could do worse. I could go back to the original rules of progression + low score so you all would be as bored as I was on the later levels back then, avoiding the hell out of everything to not score points.
Give this a SERIOUS consideration.
I am feeling particularly EVIL today.

i remeber the last low score contest. it took some strategery and it gets pretty hairy in the later levels. if i recall you and gloves destroyed the game as usual 🙂 

Events Team · Posted
16 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

I played a bit this morning and was so confused when the on foot gameplay happened.....might be fun to explore, but the tgl code makes sense lol.  

If you like the TGL mode, go for the full ride with the exploration parts off contest, that game is a ton of fun!

And for those that want to resume the fun after beating the original, there's a hack named The Guardian Legend Secret Edition that is absolutely awesome, it's like the equivalent of having a Legend of Zelda second quest but for Guardian Legend (made by @Optomon, I can't thank you enough for making that hack). The increase in difficulty is spot on from beating the original and then starting a new game of the hack. The hardest version of the bosses in the hack are really fun challenges, and I'm not spoiling the final battle cause Optomon had a genius idea for it. Plus, there's a way to play it shooter only!

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
15 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

i remeber the last low score contest. it took some strategery and it gets pretty hairy in the later levels. if i recall you and gloves destroyed the game as usual 🙂 

It was actually Red who took me down there.
He was more patient than me and killed less enemies on his run than I did on mine.
It was SO BORING to just avoid everything and their mothers on the last levels to try to get to the bosses with the lowest score possible for each stage.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, docile tapeworm said:

this game has gorgeous graphics/sprites, little flickr or slowdown, pretty goos music and excellent control.

Yeah, that was always something Compile was great at. A few other companies could have learned from them. Looking at you, Konami. 😄

• Haha 1