IGNORED

In Memoriam -- thread

220122192354-05-aircraft-carrier-kitty-h

https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/14/asia/aircraft-carrier-kitty-hawk-scrapping-history-intl-hnk-ml/index.html

USS Kitty Hawk - last US aircraft carrier fueled by oil. It served as a floating base during the Vietnam War, and was also the scene of "race riots" - basically a brawl between black and white servicemen for reasons that are not fully known but almost certainly due to inequality. Kitty Hawk is also famous for having a Soviet submarine collide with it!

Kitty Hawk is now on its way to Texas where it will be cut-up for scrap. Total purchase price for the entire ship - a bit under one dollar... thank you for your service

Edited by avatar!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

42 minutes ago, ICrappedMyPants said:

id buy that for a dollar GIF

I'm not sure how you'd cart something like that a couple hundred miles inland, but I totally be fine with that thing being parked in my back yard.  But, honestly, it's a shame a museum couldn't have been made for it but at least their's Patriot's Point down in Charleston, SC that has a similar aircraft carrier.

If you all are at all interested in military history and warcraft, it's a must-see destination.  I'd assume there's a similar museum probably on the west coast, but this is the only one I know of around here.

https://www.patriotspoint.org/

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, ICrappedMyPants said:

Taylor Hawkins Drums GIF by Foo Fighters
Taylor Hawkins…RIP. The Foo Fighters were part of my youth.

This is one of my favorite videos...even if they did goof at 0:34 and used the wrong Saturn rocket...

PS: Did I forget to mention how super disappointed I am that we've not been back to the moon in almost FIFTY years? 😞 

Edited by Estil

On 3/16/2022 at 11:55 AM, RH said:

But, honestly, it's a shame a museum couldn't have been made for it but at least their's Patriot's Point down in Charleston, SC that has a similar aircraft carrier.

It would have been nice to preserve Kitty Hawk, but in fairness, it's a LOT of work to make a museum ship, especially one that big. I'm still a bit shocked they managed to preserve all four Iowa battleships. 

Although I would have tried just because KH is probably the last carrier even capable of being turned into a museum. All the nuclear carriers have to be carved up just to get their reactors deactivated and removed (see also: USS Enterprise.)

58 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

It would have been nice to preserve Kitty Hawk, but in fairness, it's a LOT of work to make a museum ship, especially one that big. I'm still a bit shocked they managed to preserve all four Iowa battleships. 

Although I would have tried just because KH is probably the last carrier even capable of being turned into a museum. All the nuclear carriers have to be carved up just to get their reactors deactivated and removed (see also: USS Enterprise.)

I guess they can't ALL be saved and made into museums, sadly. 😞 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...