IGNORED

What movies have been made into a video game.

JVOSS

Where does Street Fighter: The Movie: The Game fit into this? lol

I feel like basically every major release before like 2005 got some sort of game adaptation. That's a trend I'm honestly as bit surprised has dropped off in recent years. Why haven't there been major tie ins to any MCU movie? Or the New Star Wars Trilogy? It's a bit impressive & surprising

5 hours ago, JVOSS said:
Spoiler

Bill and Ted
Terminator
Mad Max
Back to the Future 1,2,3
gremlins
Batman movies.
Predator
Star Wars
ET
Karate Kid
Indiana Jones
Jaws
A Nightmare on Elm Street
Friday the 13th
Total Recall
Beetlejuice
Top Gun
Ghostbusters
Aliens
Home Alone
Days of Thunder
Robocop
Goonies
Terminator
Last Action Hero
Dick Tracy
Goldeneye
Tomorrow Never Dies
The World is not enough
A bugs life
atlantis the lost empire
Crow city of angels
Die Hard
independence day
Jurassic park
Men in Black
Shrek
Gotcha! The Sport for NES is movie based, believe it or not.
Willow
Platoon
Blues Brothers
Cool World

At a glance Lord of the Rings and The Matrix seem like big omissions from the list. Scott Pilgrim as well? Granted the game fell in line more with the books but also probably wouldn't have seen the light of day with out the movie (which is still great btw)

Any Disney movie from the 90s lol

Edited by SpoonMan Abrams X

All of the best ones I can think of are classics:  Aliens (arcade), Willow (both the arcade and NES versions were great), Little Nemo (game is more directly based on the anime than based on the comics), even Batman (NES).

Later consoles had some great movie INSPIRED games, though: 007 Nightfire was a great Bond-movie-made-directly-as-a-game, and Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb was also a great stand-alone Indy adventure.

Nightmare on Elm Street NES, despite a few flaws, is a pretty innovative platformer, and for an NES game, it follows Dream Warriors pretty well. The four player aspect gets a little busy, but it's cool that they tried that.

Friday the 13th I have more mixed feelings about. It's one of the first actual survival horror games, it's got a genuinely creepy vibe, and Jason's jump scares are surprisingly effective. But it's a bit obtuse if you've never played it and the map is the most unintuitive thing ever.

Same with Jaws. It's got a few cool ideas, but I find it too tedious. You need more to do underwater, and more ports to visit.

50 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

Friday the 13th I have more mixed feelings about. It's one of the first actual survival horror games, it's got a genuinely creepy vibe, and Jason's jump scares are surprisingly effective. But it's a bit obtuse if you've never played it and the map is the most unintuitive thing ever.

Yeah, as a kid, Friday the 13th was terrifying, at least if you only ever played it briefly at a friend's house, with no instructions, in the dark at a sleepover 😛

But as an adult, it is actually a really interesting game where you are managing a surprisingly complex situation (juggling 6 player characters with different skills, saving kids, finding clues, not getting lost in the woods, and killing Jason).

12 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

Re: Friday, there is a deeper game than what most of the reviewers online give it credit for. I think only Cygnus Destroyer/LJN Defender ever truly got into what the game is about.

The map just kills that game for me, though. 😞

The map isn't that bad... it just takes some getting used to.

4 hours ago, Tulpa said:

I played that game quite a bit and I never got used to it. I don't know if was the orientation or what, but I could never get the hang of it.

What part was causing issues?  It is a couple of inter-connected rings, and the background is always the "inside" of the ring that you're on.

14 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

What part was causing issues?  It is a couple of inter-connected rings, and the background is always the "inside" of the ring that you're on.

I don't know, I was never able to spatially orient myself in a way that made sense. I'd think I'd be going one direction and end up going the opposite. It just never clicked for me.

I admit it might be more me than the map, but I know there have been better implemented in game maps.

Just now, Tulpa said:

I don't know, I was never able to spatially orient myself in a way that made sense. I'd think I'd be going one direction and end up going the opposite. It just never clicked for me.

I admit it might be more me than the map, but I know there have been better implemented in game maps.

To each his own, I guess.  When I replayed the game as an adult, I thought it was a surprisingly well implemented map, given the limitations they had to work with.