IGNORED

VGS Weekly Contest - Karate Champ

BeaIank

45 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

You should be hitting 50k on one life. Its just the first 2.5 to 3 levels. Ive never beat that bastard with a gun though. Always seemed a hair on the unfair side to fist fight someone with a machine gun

It was on 1 life actually. I'm guessing that I'd be over 300k if I was really trying for a high score. When it comes to high score contests, I'd rather play Double Dragon II over the first one since there's less boring point pressing.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

1 hour ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

It was on 1 life actually. I'm guessing that I'd be over 300k if I was really trying for a high score. When it comes to high score contests, I'd rather play Double Dragon II over the first one since there's less boring point pressing.

I would think any of the DD games would get boring fast point pressing. Low score/one life/furthest completion format would be more fun 

1 hour ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

That's true for Double Dragon. DD2 has a fixed number of enemies, so it's still fun for high score contests.

The main difference that makes DD2 better for high score contests is not having to use the stupid headbutt. Using headbutt on almost every enemy turns the game into a real slog.

36 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

I burned lives headbutting the enemies before the final boss in my 300k run in 2018. I got first place too!

I actually got eliminated from that wizard tourney because of dd1. Didnt realize headbutting was the best way to get points and it killed me. Had high scores on rc pro am, contra, and final fight. That DD headbutting crap was a tough way to go out. 

Just now, NESfiend said:

I actually got eliminated from that wizard tourney because of dd1. Didnt realize headbutting was the best way to get points and it killed me. Had high scores on rc pro am, contra, and final fight. That DD headbutting crap was a tough way to go out. 

I bow to anybody who can get a high RC Pro Am score. That game is brutal.

6 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

I bow to anybody who can get a high RC Pro Am score. That game is brutal.

You had 5 min on each game, so we weren't getting deep into them. I think I got through or to level 6 on pro am. A lot of people did though, so it was about all 1sts and all the items. For contra, I was the only one to beat level 3 boss which provides a big bonus. I got it in with like 2 seconds left. 

2 hours ago, mbd39 said:

I burned lives headbutting the enemies before the final boss in my 300k run in 2018. I got first place too!

That makes more sense as long as there are enough enemies to run out the timer. I guess people were using the caves in 2014 since they keep looping forever if you don't go through the doors.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

I managed to finish one loop, but it wasn't enough to improve my placement. I'm just 300 points below @8bitdontquit!

Aside from that I actually enjoyed this game. Somehow it's much deeper and more interesting than I would have thought. I also don't think that it deserves the hate it got from the AVGN (but I'm not saying it's a masterpiece either. Just surprisingly decent). Sure, it's no Street Fighter II, but this port is from 1986 and the arcade game apparently from 1984! I think they did a great job of representing complex combat mechanics and the heated intensity of athletic competitions. I was on the edge of my seat several times when the enemy was in the lead and close to winning, but I somehow managed to get a few hits in and win the bout.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

I managed to finish one loop, but it wasn't enough to improve my placement. I'm just 300 points below @8bitdontquit!

Aside from that I actually enjoyed this game. Somehow it's much deeper and more interesting than I would have thought. I also don't think that it deserves the hate it got from the AVGN (but I'm not saying it's a masterpiece either. Just surprisingly decent). Sure, it's no Street Fighter II, but this port is from 1986 and the arcade game apparently from 1984! I think they did a great job of representing complex combat mechanics and the heated intensity of athletic competitions. I was on the edge of my seat several times when the enemy was in the lead and close to winning, but I somehow managed to get a few hits in and win the bout.

I happened to notice when you posted your score that you had missed 8bit by only 2 or 300. Thats really tough. 

I actually really ended up liking the game too. Mastering the jump back kick helped get me out of jams, and its thrilling to execute that move in a bind. Im actually really surprised how much I enjoyed playing this over and over. And I can't believe I finally ended up hitting some stuff in the bonus levels.