IGNORED

VGS Weekly Contest - Karate Champ

BeaIank

20 hours ago, NESfiend said:

Is this still true with your recent score submission? When I saw 100k, I assumed you figured out the bonus scenes. Im going to put some time in this tonight. I gotta beat Doug's score so he will play more this weekend. 

What did I ever do to you that you want me to spend my weekend playing this?!

Just now, Bearcat-Doug said:

What did I ever do to you that you want me to spend my weekend playing this?!

Misery loves company. Although I'm not a sure I have much more karate champ in me. The better I get at the game, the MORE frustrating it becomes. I thought it would be the opposite. But now I've become obsessed with landing jump kicks, so I'm scoring way higher each round, but only getting to fight 4 or 5 instead of 7. Last night I yanked the cart out and narrowly stopped myself from breaking it. My new plan is to get like 30k through the first four fights and then just try to win fights instead of scoring well from there. But even that sounds about as much fun as going to the dentist. I may be throwing in the towel pretty quick. 

2 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Misery loves company. Although I'm not a sure I have much more karate champ in me. The better I get at the game, the MORE frustrating it becomes. I thought it would be the opposite. But now I've become obsessed with landing jump kicks, so I'm scoring way higher each round, but only getting to fight 4 or 5 instead of 7. Last night I yanked the cart out and narrowly stopped myself from breaking it. My new plan is to get like 30k through the first four fights and then just try to win fights instead of scoring well from there. But even that sounds about as much fun as going to the dentist. I may be throwing in the towel pretty quick. 

I'm fairly satisfied with my score given that I put about ten minutes into it. I might give it another try if I get time, but I doubt that it will be much of an improvement.

2 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Probably jump kicks and points from the bonus rounds.

@0xDEAFC0DE has the high score at over 100k, but he said he still only got 5 vases in the all the bonus rounds put together. My theory is he has figured out a reliable pattern that carries you through each fight. Execute a jump kick out the gate. If it works, 800 points. If it doesn't work, two steps back and execute the up and B round kick. 700 points and minimum time off the clock. I thought I had a pattern like that down for a hot minute last night. But I cant execute consistently enough to know if it works all the time. A lot of the time I end up jumping and not kicking. That is so frustrating because it leaves you wide open to attack. That is what led me to almost break the cart. Probably should have. My local shop likely has one for 4 bucks and it would have been therapeutic to break it 

1 minute ago, NESfiend said:

@0xDEAFC0DE has the high score at over 100k, but he said he still only got 5 vases in the all the bonus rounds put together. My theory is he has figured out a reliable pattern that carries you through each fight. Execute a jump kick out the gate. If it works, 800 points. If it doesn't work, two steps back and execute the up and B round kick. 700 points and minimum time off the clock. I thought I had a pattern like that down for a hot minute last night. But I cant execute consistently enough to know if it works all the time. A lot of the time I end up jumping and not kicking. That is so frustrating because it leaves you wide open to attack. That is what led me to almost break the cart. Probably should have. My local shop likely has one for 4 bucks and it would have been therapeutic to break it 

The jump kick followed up with a round kick was what I did, so I may have been onto something if I feel like playing again.

7 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Your theory may be true... (jumping back kick is where it's at) 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I had a feeling that I was onto something, but after I broke 30k, I really didn't want to play again.

I played until I successfully looped the game and now I'm probably done.

It's not even as fun as Target Renegade and that's saying something.

2 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

I played until I successfully looped the game and now I'm probably done.

It's not even as fun as Target Renegade and that's saying something.

Nobody believed me when I said Urban Champion was better. It's basically the same thing with better controls and hit detection.

2 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Nobody believed me when I said Urban Champion was better. It's basically the same thing with better controls and hit detection.

At least Karate Champ has a better variety of moves than Urban Champion so I'll give it that. And there's a better variety of backgrounds. Let's just say that both games are awful.

Edited by mbd39

3 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

They both have their merits if you want to call it that.

Playing these archaic fighting games gives a greater appreciation for how well programmed Kung Fu is, even though that's not a one on one fighter except for bosses (although you're often fending off other opponents at the same time). It is an older martial arts game done right.

Just now, mbd39 said:

Playing these archaic fighting games gives a greater appreciation for how well programmed Kung Fu is, even though that's not a one on one fighter except for bosses (although you're often fending off other opponents at the same time). It is an older martial arts game done right.

Considering that it was a launch title, it's amazing by comparison.

Events Helper · Posted

20200829_081624.thumb.jpg.0804ca0d9ebc21a4678a7dcb901dab12.jpg

Not gonna lie, I almost quit at 5200 😏.

Still a nice last place score I believe.......oooooooofffffffff

Anyway, this is about 10 mins. of figuring out 1 move and rolling with it.  I hit no bonus round points...........

If I actually practiced and didn't pull a @docile tapeworm These off weeks, I might actually do well 😉 

Anyway, garbo game 🤣.

@docile tapeworm did u ever get that tetris cart?

Edited by Jeevan
  • Haha 1

Events Helper · Posted
1 minute ago, docile tapeworm said:

@Jeevan it hasnt showed up yet.... but im pretty confident with the fine community we have here it will probably find its way home ❤️

@spacepup has it, let me know when u get it so i can make a donation to @Gloves extra life stream thing.  I said I would do it, so I will 🙂 . Just PM me or message me somewheres 😉

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, NESfiend said:

I haven't played this again, but I did get 50,000 points on Double Dragon this morning.   

35 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I haven't played this again, but I did get 50,000 points on Double Dragon this morning.   

You should be hitting 50k on one life. Its just the first 2.5 to 3 levels. Ive never beat that bastard with a gun though. Always seemed a hair on the unfair side to fist fight someone with a machine gun

31 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

You should be hitting 50k on one life. Its just the first 2.5 to 3 levels. Ive never beat that bastard with a gun though. Always seemed a hair on the unfair side to fist fight someone with a machine gun

Pretty sure that was just a Wizard reference.