IGNORED

What should we make the notification noise?

Gloves

Ah, so I wasn't imagining things. I seriously was like WTF was that and thought someone was watching me. Long story short, I received a spam email few days before involving "blackmail and bitcoins".

Well for one, I'd be down to have a coin sound from Mario like when you grab a coin..or the sound when Link picks up an item over his head lol. Just to start things off. It would have to be a single/global sound for all users right?

Events Team · Posted

Honestly I'm perfectly fine with the default sound, although I know I'm probably in the minority there. If we were to change it, I'd probably want it to be something subtle that wouldn't be too long. Like the rupee collected sound from most Zelda games, or the coin sound from Mario games. While I don't dislike the idea of something like the item fanfare from the Zelda games, I feel like that'd be a little overly long for a notification sound, I feel like it should be very short, and perhaps somewhat neutral. A fanfare of some kind feels like it would be a bit... overly celebratory for a simple notification. But I'm just spitballing here, those are just my two cents.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ZeldaFreak said:

Honestly I'm perfectly fine with the default sound, although I know I'm probably in the minority there. If we were to change it, I'd probably want it to be something subtle that wouldn't be too long. Like the rupee collected sound from most Zelda games, or the coin sound from Mario games. While I don't dislike the idea of something like the item fanfare from the Zelda games, I feel like that'd be a little overly long for a notification sound, I feel like it should be very short, and perhaps somewhat neutral. A fanfare of some kind feels like it would be a bit... overly celebratory for a simple notification. But I'm just spitballing here, those are just my two cents.

I agree with this. Something short and sweet. I vote for the Mario coin sound. Of course, I already turned of the sound, but I'd put it back on to hear a different notification.

• Like 3

Something one note. LoZ treasure chest or Megaman death are too long. Keep in mind this is something you might hear over and over again when there’s a couple of hot threads going on. 

I agree something like a Mario coin, Zelda rupee, or Metroid (or Megaman) gunshot. But in keeping with the all-original nature of the site name, mascot, etc., 

On 10/25/2019 at 12:54 AM, Gloves said:

Yeah, I'd like to control it tbh. Make it feel like "the sage" and less like "my phone". 

Best situation in my mind honestly is if we can get some original sound made by a member of the community. Something... Sagely... 

it would be best to have something original and not remotely copyright infringing.

I’m not a chiptune composer like some people here, but I might be able to come up w/ something when I’m home.

Edited by Link
text wants to change sizes by itself. and still doing it, fuck it
  • Like 2

Events Team · Posted
11 minutes ago, Link said:

Something one note. LoZ treasure chest or Megaman death are too long. Keep in mind this is something you might hear over and over again when there’s a couple of hot threads going on. 

I agree something like a Mario coin, Zelda rupee, or Metroid (or Megaman) gunshot. But in keeping with the all-original nature of the site name, mascot, etc., 

it would be best to have something original and not remotely copyright infringing.

I’m not a chiptune composer like some people here, but I might be able to come up w/ something when I’m home.

Yeah, I agree with that, and that was the main point I was trying to get across. Something one-note and really short considering you'd hear it a ton of times if you kept the sound on. If someone can come up with an original sound that is similar to the rupee or coin sounds, we'd probably have a winner. I just don't think something longer like a fanfare would be a particularly great idea given the frequency at which you'd hear it. Hypothetically if there was a sound for like a transaction completing or something like that, something you'd hear less often, then a fanfare would be appropriate, but not for just a regular notification.

Events Team · Posted
1 hour ago, Vaosu said:

Ooo, I really like 3 personally. It's not too sharp and jarring like 2 and 4. It's just distinctive enough to be attention-grabbing, but not ear-piercing and annoying. I think out of these contenders, 3 would probably be the best for a notification sound in my opinion.