IGNORED

Presentation on 'Eastern Europe Version' NES

I will be presenting at PAX Online next month, looking at the distribution of the NES in Eastern/Southern Europe. The presentation is called "World of Nintendo: Exploring Nintendo in [Eastern] Europe" and will go live Thursday, September 17th at 10:15am PDT.

I won't be talking about the Dendy / Pegasus / other Famiclones, but rather the official releases of the NES (and GB and SNES) that the whole of Eastern Europe saw, by Nintendo.

Anyone interested in the NES from 1990-1996 should tune in.

https://online.paxsite.com/schedule/panel/world-of-nintendo-exploring-nintendo-in-eastern-europe

Edited by Joshua Rogers
  • Like 5

I’ll be watching if it doesn’t clash with my schedule. Will there be a recorded version if I miss it?

Also, will you include a nod to the Israeli version of the NES? I know it’s not Europe, but as far as I know, it’s the only official middle eastern release of the NES.

Also; did you do any research on Greece? There’s a ton of Greek NES manuals and even more PAL games they just stick green distribution stickers on. For some odd reason Boulder Dash is a common Greek game to find 🤷🏻‍♂️

13 hours ago, ThePhleo said:

I’ll be watching if it doesn’t clash with my schedule. Will there be a recorded version if I miss it?

Also, will you include a nod to the Israeli version of the NES? I know it’s not Europe, but as far as I know, it’s the only official middle eastern release of the NES.

Also; did you do any research on Greece? There’s a ton of Greek NES manuals and even more PAL games they just stick green distribution stickers on. For some odd reason Boulder Dash is a common Greek game to find 🤷🏻‍♂️

I assume it will be recorded, and if not I'll upload it (it's all pre-recorded anyways)

I will include about 20 seconds looking at the Israeli NES 😛

Mostly, it will look at the NES in the Poland and in Hungary. But I'll also be mentioning basically every single country east of Germany and Italy, including Greece.

• Like 1

Sounds interesting, I'll be tuning in! Genuinely interested in hearing more about this region.

I've seen some NES era official Nintendo promotional stuff in a Slavic language (I believe Serbian), which would imply that there was some official Nintendo representation and possibly console distribution in the Balkans, but I've never seen any other evidence so far. Have also travelled the South/East Europe region extensively (every country except Belarus) and never seen a hint of NES era Nintendo history outside of Greece, minus the Pegasus in Poland and misc Famicom bootlegs elsewhere. Greece was a gold mine, though, with the more obscure GPO and GRE coded items and a seemingly complete local unawareness of the collectibility of vintage games. As late as 2016 I was still able to find NES era store displays in use in the main streets of Athens.

• 2 weeks later...

An update:

You'll be able to watch the presentation here: https://www.twitch.tv/PAX3

Thursday, September 17th at 10:15am - 10:45am PDT

I'll be talking about the NES in: Israel, South Africa, India, Korea, and focusing on the whole of Central/Eastern Europe.

Including looking at the incredibly rare Polish version of the NES that was released at the end of 1993.Polish-NES-Box.jpeg.377a13c26bbbd2b57fe76f24aa4b8f82.jpegNPL.jpg.09042eeeb8b64e4ea43c34e0e94d8ef5.jpg

And the Hungarian NES from 1991, as well as the Hungarian National Nintendo Championship from 1992 (zoom in on that manual).1601744263_LC_t5Ara.pngsmall.png.c576789b99223426e1b52ddad6eea8ff.png1352252790_gROLInOD.jpglarge.thumb.jpeg.fd5d7d373bdd2a936cff34e277596059.jpeg

Will also be looking at the distribution of the NES in other EE countries, for example, the Czech Republic & Slovakia

1034775935_SE-nJR1Z.pngmedium.thumb.png.152be479b31805e3afe13a347c974a64.png

Croatia 221547910_-PKMkgfs.jpglarge.thumb.jpeg.236d89bb16d40f0f52c7b96ec2fe21d0.jpeg572726880_hcRfNBPo.jpgmedium.jpeg.6c5aeba2ed2b02aa061c6241048c678c.jpeg

And even looking at how Nintendo products were distributed by the company behind the Dendy Famiclone in Russia and its surrounding countries.Dendy.thumb.jpeg.8d7643f42b60cae78308f7aa68b093f2.jpeg

I will post a youtube link here after it's been shown live

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 years later...