IGNORED

Game Debate #10: Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

37 members have voted

1. 1. See below for explanation of ratings

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. Maybe one of the best released that year.
    • 7/10 - Very good game, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but I'm interested.
    • Never played it, never will.

Moderator · Posted
1 hour ago, RH said:

I gave it a 9 because 3 is my favorite. It didn't feel right giving this one a 10, when I know I feel that 3 is better.

Still, this is really like a 9.8 for me.

This is exactly my thoughts except I still rounded up to a 10. 

2 hours ago, Sumez said:

People love this series so hard it almost makes me feel like I'm missing out.

But on the other hand it's incredibly impossible for me to get fired up in any way about "skateboard game". 🙂 

None/10

Have you tried it? I kind of felt that way until I tried it. To me it was just another sports title. Boooo, why should I care, even if it's extreme sports, which I barely liked better than normal.

But then I have THPS a try at a friend's house and I was hooked through THPS Underground five games later.

If you've played it and don't "get it", then that's cool. But if you've never tried these games, you should give them a chance.

The THPS series and NBA Jam are the only sports games I've ever really gotten into. Everything else is as boring as can be. So if you are in that same camp, maybe check it out and see how you feel.

Edited by RH

9 for me.  This game is fantastic and I remember really enjoying it on PlayStation.  I got one of those LCD screens for the PSOne and spent a lot of time with this on the go. Music and gameplay are both great.  Though I have no real desire to return to this series. 

If it were the first game I would probably have given it a 10 because of nostalgia.. It's the game that got me to order CCS catalogs.  I had a phase in middle school during this time where I wore a lot of skater tees and etnees.  I couldn't skate so it was short lived.

Isn't this the one that added manuals?  That was big.

Edited by zeppelin03

22 minutes ago, zeppelin03 said:

9 for me.  This game is fantastic and I remember really enjoying it on PlayStation.  I got one of those LCD screens for the PSOne and spent a lot of time with this on the go. Music and gameplay are both great.  Though I have no real desire to return to this series. 

If it were the first game I would probably have given it a 10 because of nostalgia.. It's the game that got me to order CCS catalogs.  I had a phase in middle school during this time where I wore a lot of skater tees and etnees.  I couldn't skate so it was short lived.

Isn't this the one that added manuals?  That was big.

Yes and yes.

2 is my favorite, but 1-3 are absolutely perfect games IMO. I'd give all of them 10's. 

The soundtracks were amazing and exposed me to some bands i might not have known about. The gameplay was addictive and still fun even today. I replay all 3 of them pretty frequently. 

Edit- Forgot to add, this game made every kid i know go out and buy a skateboard. It literally was the spark of actual skateboarding careers for many kids out there, and if not careers, a way of life while growing up. 

Edited by Magus
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Magus said:

2 is my favorite, but 1-3 are absolutely perfect games IMO. I'd give all of them 10's. 

The soundtracks were amazing and exposed me to some bands i might not have known about. The gameplay was addictive and still fun even today. I replay all 3 of them pretty frequently. 

You know, that's a good point.  In general, I rarely finish games and to play a game twice through is quite rare for me.  Regardless, I've played and earned everything for all of these games, multiple times.  In fact, I think I've lost a save file or two over the years and the whole experience is so enjoyable, it never bothered me.  Oh well! That just means I have to play it more to unlock everything and max out my primary skaters!

Seriously, on average I've probably played each one 3 times through.

Administrator · Posted

I had to give this game a 9, not because it is one of the best most amazing games ever made, but I just remember how much FUN I had with the game.  

I just remember playing it a ton back then, and how much fun it was.  The dynamic nature of the game and just being able to goof around and do some tricks, have fun, is awesome.

8 hours ago, Sumez said:

But on the other hand it's incredibly impossible for me to get fired up in any way about "skateboard game". 🙂 

None/10

Tony Hawk games are as much of points based platformers as they are anything else. They play so smoothly and are great for both quick and long sessions. Even if you aren't into skateboarding or sports games, you will probably like this game anyway. 

9/10 for me.

The only one of the franchise that I liked enough to put serious hours into, one was decent, after 2 it got worse by release other than that screwy cel shaded american skateland on the DS, I liked that as it felt kind of jet grind radio-ish.  The thing is I had a different path to this game, I got it a bit on a higher end tier of things and lowest end at similar times.  Dreamcast and GBA, and while I did dig the DC game convenience mixed with kind of a 1-2 week long local screw you moment I played the GBA release in the run up to the system launch as i had imported one months earlier. 😄  I had fun with that and many pre-launch games, walking into the store holding the handheld to buy the game and use it immediately.  I found the isometric view while less impressive made the game even more fun and responsive as it was like more classic gaming where you a higher level of responsibility to do the move right without having a fair argument of the camera getting in your way.

On 8/14/2020 at 4:47 AM, Sumez said:

None/10

Its a skateboard arcade game. Its as much skateboarding as nfl blitz is football

Edited by Quest4Nes

On 8/14/2020 at 1:20 PM, RH said:

Have you tried it? I kind of felt that way until I tried it. To me it was just another sports title. Boooo, why should I care, even if it's extreme sports, which I barely liked better than normal.

But then I have THPS a try at a friend's house and I was hooked through THPS Underground five games later.

If you've played it and don't "get it", then that's cool. But if you've never tried these games, you should give them a chance.

I haven't played it, which is what I tried to say - I'm sure it's great, I have no reason to think it's not. But it does nothing to make me want to play it. Skateboarding and concrete? Eh, I could play Jet Set Radio instead, it has a much cooler soundtrack. 😛

2 hours ago, Quest4Nes said:

Its a skateboard arcade game. Its as much skateboarding as nfl blitz is football

I've never heard of NFL Blitz, but it definitely doesn't look interesting to me either.

Edited by Sumez