IGNORED

Games That Require Only A D-Pad / Joystick To Play

PII

I'm trying to find as many games as possible that only require the use of a d-pad or joystick - Any Console.  Some leeway is allowed...

What I have so far:

Qbert [NES] ("A" and "B" are used to select controls before the start of the game = 100% YES)

Marble Madness[NES] (Holding "A" speeds up the Marble.  This is mostly a static function so I'm giving it a pass = YES)

Roadrunner[NES] ("A" is jump, but is very rarely essential ie. one level with a few pit-of-doom jumps at the end - gets a pass = YES

Edited by PII

Pac-man/Ms. Pac-man (Tengen Ms. uses buttons as a speed boost.)

Also, Smash TV NES if you use the two controller method it only uses the D-pads on both to move and shoot.

A number of Atari 2600 games.

All the Pac-man ports (Pac-man, Ms., and Jr.)

Frogger and Frogger 2

Freeway

Surround (the Erase game does use the fire button)

Superman (fire button is x-ray vision, but you don't need to use it to win)

Edited by Tulpa
  • Like 1

Monkey Ball is a good one. I was thinking of other marble roll games but lots of them have powerups. Many racing games would work. You can play Forza Horizon 4 with just the arrow keys on PC if you really want to. Trackmania is a racing game that comes to mind where even high level players sometimes prefer a keyboard over controller.

Graphics Team · Posted

Snake.jpg.38a4028d84e023dbda25caa67356712d.jpg

And if you simplify even further into 'games that only require one button', there's always that addicting Google Chrome browser game that pops up when there's no internet connection (the one where you're a dinosaur jumping over cacti).

-CasualCart

Chrome Dino Game.jpg

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

I don't see it listed here, maybe because it's too obvious, but Pong is clearly the best answer. 

There is a version of it on the Sega Genesis Action 52.

Atari 2600 versions usually use the fire button to make the ball go crazy.

Also, I'm not 100% sure, but I think you can get through Toobin' on NES without using the buttons to throw soda cans.

Edited by Tulpa