IGNORED

Trump wants to ban TikTok

Rhino

53 minutes ago, The Strangest said:

If it was the data collection Trump and co. were worried about, they would have allowed it to be sold to an American company, which was brought up as a solution but they disallowed it. No, they don’t like it because it allows young people to create and share a lot of anti-Trump content. And also because TikTok fucked over his Tulsa rally.

I will never try to understand Trump's mind. However, TikTok is a Chinese company and as such poses a national security risk. By Chinese law, TikTok is obligated to support the Communist Party in whatever way they deem fit. Regardless of what is going on (or not going on) in Trump's mind, I do think banning TikTok is the best move. 

https://www.vox.com/open-sourced/2019/12/16/21013048/tiktok-china-national-security-investigation

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rhino said:

I think he's just saying he'll do it to get a rise from the radical pearl clutching lefties.  IIRC isn't TikTok a private company or something and thus they can't be "banned" even if Trump or anyone else wanted to?

Edit: Even if it indeed based in China I don't see how "banning it in the US" would even be possible.

Edited by Estil

5 minutes ago, Estil said:

Edit: Even if it indeed based in China I don't see how "banning it in the US" would even be possible.

This, actually happens all the time. India has already banned TikTok

https://www.india.com/news/india/chinese-apps-banned-what-will-happen-to-installed-apps-now-alternatives-faqs-answered-4071249/

14 minutes ago, Estil said:

That's India.  They have much different laws/constitution than we in the US do.

Well, it's not the same country, true. But, it is a democracy and has many similar statutes. Similarly, once an app is banned the same thing would happen here in the USA. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, avatar! said:

Well, it's not the same country, true. But, it is a democracy and has many similar statutes. Similarly, once an app is banned the same thing would happen here in the USA. 

But isn't the internet a big world wide sort of thing?  It is called the World Wide Web after all.  The only way I could think of a site could be banned is if a country has a "closed" Internet (doesn't China call theirs the Great Wall something?)  where any sites from another country don't get in unless the gov't allows them.  Once again I don't think I'm saying that quite right.

Edited by Estil

Just now, Estil said:

But isn't the internet a big world wide sort of thing?  It is called the World Wide Web after all.  The only way I could think of a site could be banned is if a country has a "closed" Internet (doesn't China call theirs the Great Wall something?)  where any sites from another country don't get in unless the gov't allows them.  Once again I don't think I'm saying that quite right.

Read the article I cited above. It will answer many of your questions I suspect. 

4 minutes ago, avatar! said:

Read the article I cited above. It will answer many of your questions I suspect. 

I perused it.  I'm not questioning whether "banning" TikTok in the US is right or wrong or whatever...I just don't see how they can.

1 minute ago, Estil said:

I perused it.  I'm not questioning whether "banning" TikTok in the US is right or wrong or whatever...I just don't see how they can.

Well, read it 🙂

If you're being lazy, the point is once it's banned, internet access will be blocked for the app rendering it useless. Furthermore, it will be removed from Apple/Google etc and there will be no updates nor support for anyone that still has the app. Yes, this is exactly what would happen here in the USA or any country once an app is banned. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, avatar! said:

Well, read it 🙂

If you're being lazy, the point is once it's banned, internet access will be blocked for the app rendering it useless. Furthermore, it will be removed from Apple/Google etc and there will be no updates nor support for anyone that still has the app. Yes, this is exactly what would happen here in the USA or any country once an app is banned. 

Might be a dumb question but can't you just use a VPN from a different country to make it seem like you're coming from a country where tiktok isn't banned and thus still be able to use tiktok?

Just now, Makar said:

Might be a dumb question but can't you just use a VPN from a different country to make it seem like you're coming from a country where tiktok isn't banned and thus still be able to use tiktok?

I'm no expert on bypassing security, but I would imagine that would be viable only if you didn't connect to any network in the USA. 

8 minutes ago, avatar! said:

Well, read it 🙂

Yeah I was thinking an outright ban couldn't be possible but yet a "work around" of sorts could be done if Google/Apple/etc decide to just manually remove it from their search results or something.  Another "work around" would be to issue an advisory against using TikTok and its possible dangers.

2 hours ago, Link said:

Really?

I admit at first I kinda got the wrong idea...how was I supposed to know some social media platform could be a possible danger to national security? 😛  I mean it's not like you could launch a missile with it or something!

In all seriousness though, I do sometimes wonder what could happen if we see a cyber 9/11 of some sort...like somehow get the Internet shut down completely for even just a few days?  Hopefully such a thing could never be possible...I hope...

Good, I wish we'll follow suit here in New Zealand. 

People on the likes of Twitter getting upset over it saying they don't know how they'll function reinforces why social media is bad if you don't use it in moderation. I could go on about that for ages, almost like people have developed a dependency for it and can't live without it. Though it's irrefutable that it's just glorified spyware.  

4 hours ago, ChickenTendas said:

And yeah I don't think a single person on VGS would touch TikTok with a 42 foot pole, so why would anyone care if it was banned? It'll likely fade into obscurity in the next year anyway, just like Vine and MySpace and everything that came before it. Watch out for people to throw a fit over it being a violation of their rights though. 

Amen.