IGNORED

Game Debate #8: Super Mario Sunshine

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

61 members have voted

1. 1. See below for explanation of ratings

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. Maybe one of the best released that year.
    • 7/10 - Very good game, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but I'm interested.
    • Never played it, never will.

I'd go as far as saying the camera was a huge step backwards into the 32/64bit era... a time when cameras and controls battled each other and caused a lot of needless and senseless death, demotivation, and distress.  I don't hate the game, I hate the mechanics of the game they fouled up pretty badly so I just don't want to play it because I'll get mad at it and frustrated.  The general walk about stuff in the hub and in the stages in general that's fine. It's mostly broken in places with tighter turns/spaces in those, but mostly just a lot of the semi-on rail style non-FLUDD based platforming as it's like the physics and camera are busted so you just get a lot of misplaced death jumps and other weirdness.  It's a shame really, a lot of polish fixing that up, give it 30 days to clean it up and get it Mario 64 right as it would be the one to compare to then, it would have been stunning.

• Like 1

It's almost as though the camera in Mario Sunshine has too MUCH freedom, it's really hard to keep it under control when it's off doing it's own thing, and finding just the right angle for certain jumps can be very tricky.

It can be hilarious in some instances though, especially the hidden bonus levels, quite how far away the camera goes. You're looking at Mario off in the distance trying to control a tiny ant Mario, it's actually hilarious! 😄

Edited by OptOut
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...