IGNORED

Game Debate #8: Super Mario Sunshine

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

61 members have voted

1. 1. See below for explanation of ratings

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. Maybe one of the best released that year.
    • 7/10 - Very good game, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but I'm interested.
    • Never played it, never will.

2 hours ago, Shmup said:

5/10- I played it on launch but could only bring myself to finish the first half (70 stars or whatever it was).

It was a big disappointment after Mario 64, but maybe I’ll revisit it one day with a different perspective.

The same thing happened to me. I went back a couple years ago and still felt the same way

Sunshine is sandwiched between two of the best 3d platformers of all time in Mario 64 and Galaxy which doesn't help the re play value. I'd rather play Galaxy 1&2 10 times before I'd force myself through Sunshine. 

🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞/10

• Like 2

Gave it an 8.  This would totally be a 10 for me if the camera was fixed, my brain/hands just won't adjust to it and it can't be changed.  I loved the island and vacation theme, I even loved using the FLUDD.  Every time I play this I crack up at the terrible voices.  Hopefully if that rumored Switch version happens they will fix the camera.  

• Like 1

I didn’t like it. Stomping goombas just doesn’t work for me. I stuck with Sunshine longer than Galaxy, and eventually concluded that I can’t get with 3D Super Mario.

And it’s minor to the gameplay but no help that I really hate the Charles Martinet character. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Magus said:

6- I love the music, the atmosphere, and the visuals. Even the mechanics of flood are pretty cool.

But for some reason i can never get myself to finish the game, i always lose interest about halfway through without any major reason why. 

5 but same feelings

It's funny, I'm reading a lot of comments about the camera, but when I mentioned this years ago I was slammed by people saying the camera was user controlled and my fault for it sucking.  I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought the camera was crap.

Edited by CMR
  • Like 1

I'm the weirdo who rated it a 10. Probably should be an 8 but nostalgia is blinding. Never played Mario 64 so this was my 3D Mario growing up. I recognize it doesn't have the best camera controls, but that never bothered me. Pretty much everything else I love (the island atmosphere, the music, FLUDD's movement mechanics, the light story, the NPCs, etc.). 

• Like 1