IGNORED

Too Well Known in the Community

Moderator · Posted

Tab tasted like Coke but somehow you tasted more neutral flavor that cola. Then again I was raised on a Tab knockoff called Rally. I can’t complain too much about generic sodas though, I recently tried Safeway’s Dr. Dynamite and like it.

My best friend and I love to joke about Stop & Shop’s more ambiguous Zazz. They used to have abandoned carts in the aisles for marked down products rather than dedicate a shelf to it, and in the summer we would find full carts of individual cans of Zazz.

Administrator · Posted
14 minutes ago, BeaglePuss said:

Follow-up regarding my incredible fame:

The emails were from two different individuals, one of which just called the gym and left a message. Seems like a super nice guy, so I’ll give him a buzz back. 

It’s fucking Beatlemania over here. 

Can I get your autograph?

45 minutes ago, BeaglePuss said:

Follow-up regarding my incredible fame:

The emails were from two different individuals, one of which just called the gym and left a message. Seems like a super nice guy, so I’ll give him a buzz back. 

It’s fucking Beatlemania over here. 

There's a third guy on Discord but he's looking for your brother.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/6/2020 at 7:58 PM, Bearcat-Doug said:

I have no idea what Tab tastes like, so if I can find some, it will be a new experience. Maybe there needs to be an obscure soda discussion thread.

Funny you guys were talking about Tab a month before Coke finally decide to discontinue it this month (October 2020). Yes, they still sold it up until now...I used to drink quite a bit of if when I lived on the southwest-side of Chicago near Midway Airport.  They would sell it in specific demographic enclaves were the older generation of diet pop drinkers still had a taste for it.  I started drinking it in the mid-2000s because I was amazed myself it was still being sold in Chicago in 2005.  😄

But, alas, Tab is no more as of last week!  😞

In 2004-05, I worked for a small company ran from the owners spare house in his backyard.  His late-50s wife would only drink Tab when she wanted a soda.  She was the only person I knew who still drank it.   Supposedly, there has always been a small, avid base.  As such, any decent sized town, or bigger, usually had at least one local grocery store offering it just for the small group of super fans.

I think she let me have a can, but I really don't recall what it tasted like.  It's basically like a generic diet coke, right?

Edited by RH

24 minutes ago, Sumer said:

Funny you guys were talking about Tab a month before Coke finally decide to discontinue it this month (October 2020). Yes, they still sold it up until now...I used to drink quite a bit of if when I lived on the southwest-side of Chicago near Midway Airport.  They would sell it in specific demographic enclaves were the older generation of diet pop drinkers still had a taste for it.  I started drinking it in the mid-2000s because I was amazed myself it was still being sold in Chicago in 2005.  😄

But, alas, Tab is no more as of last week!  😞

I never got around to trying it. Maybe I need to run to the store and see if they have any left.

5 minutes ago, RH said:

I think she let me have a can, but I really don't recall what it tasted like.  It's basically like a generic diet coke, right?

It definitely has its own distinct taste, thanks to the saccharin (which they still used in the formula until its end last week).  I can definitely tell the difference between a Tab, a Diet Coke, and a Diet Pepsi.  I guess I could liken it somewhat to Diet Rite, but even then its not a close match.

Speaking of obscure diet pops, @Bearcat-Doug, last time I was at a Cincinnati Cyclone hockey match, US Bank Arena was only selling that for diet.  😄  Must have gotten a cheap deal to go with RC Cola and Diet Rite for cost savings.  Gotta love minor league sports!