IGNORED

Too Well Known in the Community

I was just thinking about this yesterday, it's one of the reasons why sometimes I'm active here on the forums, posting, yet am slow to respond to messages and take pictures for people, etc. I'm especially guilty with this on discord. 😄

I guess it's a situation where you become too well-known in the community for being interested in a niche area of collecting, such as homebrew, pirates, misprints, etc.

I for one love to chat with others who share the same interests, and I certainly don't mind taking pictures and helping people out with this and that; however, sometimes there's just not enough time for it all.

Anyone else ever feel that they are "too well-known" in the overall community (I'm not just talking about VGS, I personally have got my hand in many fires). How do you manage or keep up with things, without either going insane, or not knowing where to begin, thus doing nothing for months?

I had that issue in the back half of the 1990s online when I was in college and a bit after into the early 00s.  It was in the emulation, emulator, and rom release circles so it's under an old user name I mostly buried to keep things more safe. 😉  People would seek you out looking for stuff in the place I was or help, problem is you never knew considering what was being done in part was at best gray area if it was someone looking to ruin your day.  When things just got a bit too big it was best to lay low, only talk to those who didn't pop up out of nowhere, kind of gauge if this was a potential problem and go from there.

Eventually I got tired of it, scrapped the identity, made up another handle and moved on.  When I did care though, and it was in a more untrackable(for then) public talking space like irc or the nameless early web forum stuff I'd answer whatever was thrown at me to help out at the least, only if I trusted you or someone vouched I'd throw files their way not wanting to get potentially screwed.

• Like 1

I’m known as the crazy NES List guy...I don’t get special attention besides random people sending me pictures of cool stuff like NWC carts, or odd variants once in a while.

I don’t think there’s such a thing as “too much” attention in the hobby. We’ve got guys like Frank Cifaldi, Norm Caruso, Chris Koehler, Pat Contri, and John Hancock who are known by their full names and they all seem like guys who are still easily accessible to have a chat once in a while with.

You then have TONS of mega collectors who’d probably end up reading this very post....

When we get celebrities publicly sharing their collections, I think THEN we’ll be at a point that it’s “too far gone”

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BeaglePuss said:

I post one every four months, but I still regularly get emails/PMs on various message boards regarding prototypes and roms. 

Yeah, I'll get these kinds of messages too (not about protos, but other things). People asking if I have XYZ or know about ABC, or even if I can help them track down CDE. 

It's gotten so stupid, I'm even getting messages from collectors in Taiwan and China, in Chinese, about things. I got one yesterday from a random, actually.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

I am not known as a guy to be messaged about anything but I have sent fcgamer a PM with no response and I have sent ThePhleo a random NWC picture so I can related to at least some of this thread.

No worries, I'm almost finished responding to messages, I generally go from oldest to newest, so I'm almost at yours 😉

I've never become notorious, thankfully, so it hasn't been an issue.  But I've had random people tell me "I know you" after they hear my handle, and I've had a few people tell me they've heard of me before.  It's a weird feeling.  It probably helps that I step in and out of the collecting scene and try not to interface too heavily.  It's best to keep a focus on real life. 

Editorials Team · Posted

Sometimes I'll go to the park, and all the ladies are like "there's that Super Nintendo guy!". And I'll look over and catch them whispering to each other and fanning themselves, lest the heat overtake them.  Sometimes a panty or two comes my way. 

I'll probably have to change my name again just to become low-key.  Probably gonna be Todd Parker next.

• Wow! 1
  • Haha 3

Administrator · Posted
2 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Sometimes I'll go to the park, and all the ladies are like "there's that Super Nintendo guy!". And I'll look over and catch them whispering to each other and fanning themselves, lest the heat overtake them.  Sometimes a panty or two comes my way. 

I'll probably have to change my name again just to become low-key.  Probably gonna be Todd Parker next.

Change it to "the vapors".   Demand that it be pronounced in an out of breath Southern accent.