IGNORED

Multigenre games

Tulpa

Playing The Guardian Legend, which is half adventure, half shooter, got me thinking about other games that mix genres up.

What games do you find balance their multiple gameplay elements well, and what games kind of fall short in that regard, despite best intentions?

Air Fortress was a game I used to enjoy back in the day. Each level started as a horizontal shooter, then you'd enter the enemy fortress and the second half of the level became a free-roaming adventure to find the core, destroy it, and then find the exit before the place exploded.

It was the first game I played that made me feel I was on an adventure rather than just playing a video game.

• Like 4

Final Fantasy IX, X and Xenogears all had games built into them that were semi-important to the story.  Although you didn't have to master those games, I think for all three of those titles, there was at least one or two segments in the story where you had to play the internal games.

I'm not sure if those count, though.  FF IX and Xenogears games were card games, where Blitzball was just an odd sports title.

Though Battletoads is a “platformer” at heart, the game play is so varied it’s absurd.

Side scrolling beat em up, vertical and horizontal auto scrolling, foot race, vehicle obstacle course, it’s all over the place.

Actraiser was the first game that came to mind though.  Moonlighter is essentially two totally different games played in tandem.

Konami did a lot of games like this BITD.

Laser Invasion has levels where you fly a helicopter around and first person maze + gallery shooting levels.

The Lone Ranger has side scrolling, overhead, and first person lightgun levels

The Adventures of Bayou Billy has side scrolling, driving, and shooting gallery levels

A non Konami game that also did this was Vice Project Doom.

Edited by CMR
  • Like 1

Another vote for Actraiser, obvious if you know me.  But you know what else fits it?  Castlevania II and future iterations playing off the SuperMetroid handbook.  At first glance you have this seamless solid action platforming game, but then you realize it's not.  You have items, a form of if not outright experience, growing health and magics, and more.  It's this like perfect blend of RPG skill/stat/upgrade tree mixed with a platforming adventure which helps it keep from being stale far sooner if at all when the game is done right.  The GBA/DS Sorrow duo really pegged it, even the other GBA/DS games basically did too and didn't get boring.  Bloodstained did it again but it does kind of lack some of the charm but same roots.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, cj_robot said:

Air Fortress was a game I used to enjoy back in the day. Each level started as a horizontal shooter, then you'd enter the enemy fortress and the second half of the level became a free-roaming adventure to find the core, destroy it, and then find the exit before the place exploded.

It was the first game I played that made me feel I was on an adventure rather than just playing a video game.

Air Fortress does it perfectly.

It probably pushes the definition of the thread, but Star Tropics is a great blend between Zelda-style underworlds and DW-style overworld and towns.

I learned from this thread that Air Wolf has two modes, nuts! Like the Guardian Legend, that is a game that I would have indefinitely passed by if the depth to it hadn't been pointed out. Ginga Denshou is one for the FDS that I always forget about (vertical shooter mixed with action-adventure), but it is not really enjoyable like The Guardian Legend. Probably why I forget about it.

• Like 1

Nice to know about Air Wolf.  That one is new to me as well.

Everyone knows about Contra and Super C

Lifeforce and Legendary Wings have vert and horz scrolling levels

Bionic Commando has side scrolling and  overhead parts along with Rygar and Snakes Revenge

Edited by CMR

34 minutes ago, CMR said:

Nice to know about Air Wolf.  That one is new to me as well.

Everyone knows about Contra and Super C

Lifeforce and Legendary Wings have vert and horz scrolling levels

Bionic Commando has side scrolling and  overhead parts along with Rygar and Snakes Revenge

Didn't even think about Bionic Commando, as the classic "Commando" overhead sequences are kind of an afterthought and only matter a couple of times in-game.

Blaster Master is a great one that flips the Bionic Commando formula (overworld sidescrolls and main levels are overhead mazes)

• Like 1

Graphics Team · Posted

This reminds me of all those NES platformers that switch to a 'flying/shooting' section right at the final stage or final boss (Kirby's Adventure, Kid Icarus, Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu).

It definitely adds something special to the end of a game, but it always felt counter-intuitive. You spend so much time mastering the mechanics of a game just to get to the end and find out those skills don't translate to the final boss. The game throws something completely new at you instead of testing what you learned along the way.

Can anyone think of some other games that switch from platforming to flying right at the end?

-CasualCart

2 hours ago, CasualCart said:

This reminds me of all those NES platformers that switch to a 'flying/shooting' section right at the final stage or final boss (Kirby's Adventure, Kid Icarus, Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu).

It definitely adds something special to the end of a game, but it always felt counter-intuitive. You spend so much time mastering the mechanics of a game just to get to the end and find out those skills don't translate to the final boss. The game throws something completely new at you instead of testing what you learned along the way.

Can anyone think of some other games that switch from platforming to flying right at the end?

-CasualCart

Micro Mages does the same thing as Kirby at the very end. The game is a forced vertical scroller, so other than doing something like what Lizard does for the frog boss, it seemed like it fit well.

Another game that changes the style of play for the end boss, though not to a flying segment, if Quest Forge. The game is somewhat rogue-like in terms of combat, and I spent most of the game wondering how that was going to work come the end since that didn't seem like it would fit for a one-on-one battle. Sure enough, it switched to more of a Zelda-like gameplay type.

• Like 1