IGNORED

Drugs

CodysGameRoom

9 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

You're thinking waaaaaaaaaay too suburban.

I guarantee there's podunk towns where they don't have the Liquor Control Board breathing down their neck that could give two shits.

Could be. But I think it reinforces the point that when the community cares about the issue, it really isn't as simple as "they're gonna get it anyway", without heavy caveats about what age that statement might become more accurate (i.e. seniors in high school, versus kids in elementary or middle school having unfettered access)

I had cousins in much more rural areas, and they tended to have low-end beer access around senior year of high school from parents that would rather have the kids drink shitty beer, puke it up, and all sleep over at their house than have them out driving around.

But the kids weren't just buying it themselves, and it wasn't YOUNG kids having access. 

I'm not saying that 21 years old is necessarily the right age barrier.  But I absolutely think the world would be a worse place if a 13 year old could walk into a liquor store and buy hard liquor.

Edited by arch_8ngel

Administrator · Posted
18 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

Could be. But I think it reinforces the point that when the community cares about the issue, it really isn't as simple as "they're gonna get it anyway", without heavy caveats about what age that statement might become more accurate (i.e. seniors in high school, versus kids in elementary or middle school having unfettered access)

I had cousins in much more rural areas, and they tended to have low-end beer access around senior year of high school from parents that would rather have the kids drink shitty beer, puke it up, and all sleep over at their house than have them out driving around.

But the kids weren't just buying it themselves, and it wasn't YOUNG kids having access. 

I'm not saying that 21 years old is necessarily the right age barrier.  But I absolutely think the world would be a worse place if a 13 year old could walk into a liquor store and buy hard liquor.

Yeah, and I don't think the stores that'll "look the other way" would go that young either.   But if you look at least 18 (or 16 for tobacco) that seems to be the moral cutoff.

Although is tobacco 21 everywhere now too?   I know in Ohio it is.

5 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

Yeah, and I don't think the stores that'll "look the other way" would go that young either.   But if you look at least 18 (or 16 for tobacco) that seems to be the moral cutoff.

Although is tobacco 21 everywhere now too?   I know in Ohio it is.

Yeah, pretty sure most states are 21 for tobacco now.

Weed should be legal, period. 

I'm conflicted about alcohol laws, as I don't think there is a "magic" age. I do think the laws seem to be too lenient for DUIs though, as I've known many people who've had multiple before they faced any real consequence. Drunk driving is my biggest issue with alcohol. It'd be nice to have a breathalyzer come standard in every vehicle. 

Opioids is a whole other mess.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gloves said:

Frankly I was being a bit cynical there, I grew up in a shit area with shit parents and just overall shitty shit shit sharoo. The long and short is that MY experience has been that these rules around age and buying stuff is:

1. Laws against buying things do nothing to stop kids from getting it
  2. Conversely, the rules themselves make it edgy/cool to subvert

Kids I know could go to the store and just pay a bit extra to get this stuff, and it was the hip thing to do in my area. I'll admit to having tried some basic booze as a kid and I just didn't like it at all, it tasted gross, so I avoided it. I was never too worried about being cool so it didn't impact me in that "push through it and acquire the taste" kinda way.

Long story short I'm a bit biased on it.

It just took seeing some other folks talking about their opinions on it for me to remember my experience isn't the one experience. I feel that if it weren't so cool to break the rules, kids would be less interested in it. It's admittedly a relatively naive idea.

Removing the limits altogether are perhaps extreme; I think a good alt would be like I said - get some learning in school on the impact of these things. I've been out of school for a long time obviously, but at least when I was in school the lessons on drugs/alcohol were pretty poor IMO. Needs fewer scare tactics, and more real science. I don't HAVE kids so I have no clue what it's like today.

1 hour ago, arch_8ngel said:

Just want you to know that this is not common anywhere I have ever lived, though I'm not saying there aren't places where it is possible.

Stores take the risk of being shut down or fined very seriously here to where "a bit extra to get this stuff" is nowhere near worth the financial risk.

51 minutes ago, BriGuy82 said:

We used to just get older kids with fake I.D.s to buy us booze, usually a kid with a beard. The liquor stores didn't really care as long as it was an I.D.. I had a fake I.D. when I was 16 and got served. I must've looked like I was about 12. But this was all pre- 9/11 and also preinternet. 

40 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

You're thinking waaaaaaaaaay too suburban.

I guarantee there's podunk towns where they don't have the Liquor Control Board breathing down their neck that could give two shits.

it happened anywhere i have ever lived. bums, older "kids", know the guy at the store and throw him a cut...

i been able to get liqour since 15 years old. 

The fact that weed isn't legal is ludicrous to me.  It has never caused a death, not one, and it has been around since plants have been growing on Earth.  Can you believe it is a classified level one drug federally?  Yes, that's right.  It's grouped with crack, meth, cocaine, LSD, heroin, all the heavy hitters.  Just bonkers.

Oh and this is the newest NoFX live album...

NOFX_-_They've_Actually_Gotten_Worse_Liv

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tbone3969 said:

The fact that weed isn't legal is ludicrous to me. 

I'm a bit puzzled though as to why pot legalization has become so fashionable over the past ten years even though we've spent the past few decades or so pounding "Big Tobacco" mercilessly by all the anti-smoking groups.   I mean since you smoke both kinds doesn't marijuana blacken your lungs over time with smoke just as much as cigs do?  I know pot doesn't have nicotine in it like cigs do but surely it too can be addictive in its own way?  I even remember years ago being asked in a phone survey about whether pot is a "gateway drug".  At the time I said that I suppose it could be but it depends on the individual.

So we made every effort to make smoking cigarettes as shameful as possible yet all of a sudden legalizing pot has become so fashionable?  I just don't get it.  And back during the golden age of pot (60s) wasn't the fact that it was illegal gave it such a great appeal?  You know, rebellion, forbidden fruit and all that?

Administrator · Posted
6 minutes ago, Estil said:

I'm a bit puzzled though as to why pot legalization has become so fashionable over the past ten years even though we've spent the past few decades or so pounding "Big Tobacco" mercilessly by all the anti-smoking groups.   I mean since you smoke both kinds doesn't marijuana blacken your lungs over time with smoke just as much as cigs do?  I know pot doesn't have nicotine in it like cigs do but surely it too can be addictive in its own way?  I even remember years ago being asked in a phone survey about whether pot is a "gateway drug".  At the time I said that I suppose it could be but it depends on the individual.

So we made every effort to make smoking cigarettes as shameful as possible yet all of a sudden legalizing pot has become so fashionable?  I just don't get it.  And back during the golden age of pot (60s) wasn't the fact that it was illegal gave it such a great appeal?  You know, rebellion, forbidden fruit and all that?

Nicotine itself is highly addictive; main difference being that smokers will suffer from withdrawal because of this. People could start to mentally depend upon marijuana as a crutch, thinking perhaps it's the thing keeping them happy/sane, but they will STILL be able to quit cold turkey once they decide to do so. Nicotine however will actually make you physically ill with its absence. With nicotine it is a genuine physical reliance. Very different. 

Read this for a bit of extra detail, from Harvard: https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/pot-smokers-can-maybe-breathe-a-little-easier

4 hours ago, tbone3969 said:

The fact that weed isn't legal is ludicrous to me.  It has never caused a death, not one, and it has been around since plants have been growing on Earth.  Can you believe it is a classified level one drug federally?  Yes, that's right.  It's grouped with crack, meth, cocaine, LSD, heroin, all the heavy hitters.  Just bonkers.

Oh and this is the newest NoFX live album...

NOFX_-_They've_Actually_Gotten_Worse_Liv

i do like some lsd too though...