IGNORED

What's the matter Colonel? CHICKEN?

captmorgandrinker

6 minutes ago, RH said:

I hate to ask, but you guys have any grilled chicken recommendations?  Man, I love some fried chicken, but due to family sensitivity issues that were causing problems, as a family, we've given up gluten and grains.  Which sucks bad.

So... who has good fried chicken?  No garlic is a plus.  That's another sensitivity, but not for me so I still eat it from time to time.

Part in bold takes Zaxby's out of the running, since half the fun of Zaxby's is having a sandwich on Texas Toast with Zax-sauce...

2 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

Ever been to an Old Carolina BBQ?   Theirs are really good.

Maybe not them specifically, but I have had a lot of hushpuppies from a lot of "authentic" BBQ places over the years.

They're usually better than not having hushpuppies, for sure 😛  But something about LJS hushpuppies just can't be touched by those places.

They're usually too small, or too sweet, or something else that isn't quite as good.

(though the shared vat of rarely cleaned oil that was complained about earlier is probably a signature part of the flavor profile that obviously a BBQ place can't approximate -- though some southern fish fry places can come close, since we have a local chain called Skrimp Shack that does fried fish, fried shrimp, and hushpuppies and theirs are probably 2nd best to LJS)

1 hour ago, arch_8ngel said:

Part in bold takes Zaxby's out of the running, since half the fun of Zaxby's is having a sandwich on Texas Toast with Zax-sauce...

Dude, it makes me cry. I love Zaxby's wings with insane sauce. I actually can have those because they don't bread their wings. But they are expensive.

I also second the mushrooms, though. Wow, they are amazing. Of course, I can't eat them any more, but they are awesome.

What the wife and I have been doing is getting precooked hot wings from Publix. We bring them home and throw them in the Ninja fryer and meanwhile I make my own buffalo sauce. It's pretty dang good but it's shard to get perfect. I mix hit ingredience and due to COVID times, some.of the ingredience are hard to always have around.

53 minutes ago, The Count said:

When I lived in VA Beach, I used to like spicy Church's Chicken. Anybody else?

I like Church's chicken. We had one in Columbia and there's one about 10 miles from where I live. They get the "most crispiest chicken" award in my book, and that's not a bad thing.

I had no clue they had a spicy chicken. I haven't eaten there in years but might have to check that out.

Not related to Church's but if we're going to talk spicy... No one's brought up Bojangle's yet? Because Bojangles is the best. Best spicy chicken biscuit, best fried chicken. They even have the best fries of any fast food joint. Before we gave up gluten and grain, it was definitely my favorite place to go for a quick meal.

12 hours ago, captmorgandrinker said:

As far as spicy goes, KFC's Nashville Hot is pretty good when done properly.

They got it right for the very first round of their initial release, and I'm willing to bet the unit cost was too expensive the way it was being made, because the re-release was nowhere near as good.

Administrator · Posted
59 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

They got it right for the very first round of their initial release, and I'm willing to bet the unit cost was too expensive the way it was being made, because the re-release was nowhere near as good.

It did seem more vinegar-y the subsequent times I've had it.

5 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

It did seem more vinegar-y the subsequent times I've had it.

Less meaty too, from what I had.

It was another in a LONG list of disappointing KFC visits where every time my wife and I swear "never again"... (until we wait a few years and forget how bad it was)

Anyone remember Mcdonalds Mighty Wings? They were surprisingly really good. Probably the best breaded chicken wing I have ever had. They weren't all that cheap, I think $6 for a 5 piece, but well worth the money. I thought McDonalds was stepping their games up with those for a minute. Shame they didn't sell.