IGNORED

What's the matter Colonel? CHICKEN?

captmorgandrinker

6 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

There's a great local place around here called Whitehouse Chicken.   They melt a big block of beef lard to fry their chicken in.

Pretty sure that would be "tallow"... lard is pork fat 😉 😛

Though chicken fried in lard IS good (and chicken fried in tallow is probably even better)

Edited by arch_8ngel

Administrator · Posted
6 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

Pretty sure that would be "tallow"... lard is pork fat 😉 😛

Though chicken fried in lard IS good (and chicken fried in tallow is probably even better)

They were on an episode of Food Feuds showing it, and I could have sworn they said "beef lard".    So I would go with tallow from the taste of the chicken, it has a slight beefy hint.

19 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Wendy's does have a good spicy chicken sandwich. Still not as good as Popeyes though.

No way, Chick-Fil-A / Wendy's have the best Spicy Chicken war.  Popeyes shouldn't count, it's just the friggin sauce 🙂

Now if they used spicy breading, Popeyes would be KING hands down.

• Thanks 1

Administrator · Posted
Just now, Boosted52405 said:

Given Popeye's is Louisiana based, I wonder what Popeye's tastes like if we compare an order from Louisiana, and an order from Canada 😅

I imagine the real deal is the cat's pajamas and the Canadian shit is... well... shit. No joke it WRECKS my tum tum every time time.

18 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I imagine the real deal is the cat's pajamas and the Canadian shit is... well... shit. No joke it WRECKS my tum tum every time time.

That's me with Long John Silvers. It's delicious garbage food but I HAD to stop going because EVERY TIME was a terrible terrible stomach ache.... and poo. Real bad poo.

Administrator · Posted
On 7/24/2020 at 2:50 PM, CodysGameRoom said:

That's me with Long John Silvers. It's delicious garbage food but I HAD to stop going because EVERY TIME was a terrible terrible stomach ache.... and poo. Real bad poo.

It's the grease.   I still torture myself annually though.

• Like 1

On 7/24/2020 at 2:50 PM, CodysGameRoom said:

You're looking at it the wrong way.  LJS has the best fish-and-chips and "unique" chicken "planks" (though admittedly, those are just something I have a lot of nostalgia for, rather than them being legitimately good) plus you get hushpuppies -- AND you get a guaranteed reboot of your guts 😛

Edited by arch_8ngel
  • Haha 1

Administrator · Posted
10 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

You're looking at it the wrong way.  LJS has the best fish-and-chips and "unique" chicken "planks" (though admittedly, those are just something I have a lot of nostalgia for, rather than them being legitimately good) plus you get hushpuppies -- AND you get a guaranteed reboot of your guts 😛

I miss Arthur Treacher's.    I think we had the last two near us, and then they both randomly name changed to some generic "Fish and Chips" thingy.

31 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

I miss Arthur Treacher's.    I think we had the last two near us, and then they both randomly name changed to some generic "Fish and Chips" thingy.

Never had Arthur Treacher's... I think they only ever existed in malls in GA.

Long John Silver was a weekly staple growing up, though, because they were about halfway between the house and my dad's office, so we'd meet him for dinner on his on-call evening/night once a week.

As a kid, I didn't care for the fish -- just ate the chicken planks and the hushpuppies.  But as an adult, I have come to appreciate their fried fish as being the closest thing to 80/90's-era London street food you can get in the USA.  (i.e. the kind of fish and chips that were wrapped in the previous day's newspaper)

4 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Long John's is just awful. They cook everything in the same grease and it all tastes the same. Even the chicken tastes like fish.

Their "well seasoned" fry oil is part of the experience!

But seriously, they have excellent batter and their hushpuppies are hands-down the best hushpuppies you can get at any restaurant, period 😛  I've never had anything that comes close, and I've had a LOT of hushpuppies from a broad range of restaurants, over the years.

20 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

Their "well seasoned" fry oil is part of the experience!

But seriously, they have excellent batter and their hushpuppies are hands-down the best hushpuppies you can get at any restaurant, period 😛  I've never had anything that comes close, and I've had a LOT of hushpuppies from a broad range of restaurants, over the years.

The hush puppies are good, but it's tough to make a meal out of those.

I hate to ask, but you guys have any grilled chicken recommendations?  Man, I love some fried chicken, but due to family sensitivity issues that were causing problems, as a family, we've given up gluten and grains.  Which sucks bad.

So... who has good fried chicken?  No garlic is a plus.  That's another sensitivity, but not for me so I still eat it from time to time.

Administrator · Posted
4 minutes ago, RH said:

I hate to ask, but you guys have any grilled chicken recommendations?  Man, I love some fried chicken, but due to family sensitivity issues that were causing problems, as a family, we've given up gluten and grains.  Which sucks bad.

So... who has good fried chicken?  No garlic is a plus.  That's another sensitivity, but not for me so I still eat it from time to time.

I believe Chik Fil A's grilled is very good from people that have had it.   Not sure if it has garlic though.