IGNORED

Coronavirus response

Link

10 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I'm saying it'd not be so bad to shut down and DEAL with the problem of transmission, if people weren't worried about their lives being destroyed by it.

Imagine if the narrative was more like "Hey everyone, we're going to shut it all down for 2 months, but don't worry - you'll be paid a fair wage for your time, rent will be paused (handled by the stimulus), and small businesses similarly will be taken care of. Please sit back, relax, and we'll ride through this together".

Wasn't that all handled by the CARES Act? Delayed mortgage/rent payments, eviction halts, small business loans, increased unemployment, etc.  

Just now, Gloves said:

I dunno, as a Canadian - did it work?

Can't speak on behalf of everyone, but it may have worked for those ~8 weeks. Now that we're 6 months into this we need to open everything back up or pass another round of stimulus and increase our debt while continuing to suffer the effects of lockdowns. 

24 minutes ago, Gloves said:

So follow up, has anyone here received the aid from the CARE Act? If so what exactly was provided? My understanding was that in the States you all just got a cheque for like $1200 or something. 

I received my stimulus. Because I made too much money the previous year based on my tax return, I only received $570 or so. I thought it was weird to base the stimulus on what you made last year, because someone could have lost their job during the pandemic and needed the full amount. Luckily I didn't so I wasn't upset, but it had me wondering how they came to that decision.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, CodysGameRoom said:

I received my stimulus. Because I made too much money the previous year based on my tax return, I only received $570 or so. I thought it was weird to base the stimulus on what you made last year, because someone could have lost their job during the pandemic and needed the full amount. Luckily I didn't so I wasn't upset, but it had me wondering how they came to that decision.

Yeah see that's weird. By what logic is $570 supposed to carry you through 2 months? I suppose they're thinking that since you made more you must have a bunch saved up to weather a storm, or something.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gloves said:

Yeah see that's weird. By what logic is $570 supposed to carry you through 2 months?

I SUPPOSE the logic would be that I have a good paying job, based on my taxes filed previous year, so I don't need much assistance. Which was true, I didn't. 

But that was based on taxes paid for year 2018, and I still have my job. But what if I lost it due to the pandemic? What if I had to support family who lost their jobs or elderly family members? It wasn't very logical in my opinion. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Gloves said:

So follow up, has anyone here received the aid from the CARE Act? If so what exactly was provided? My understanding was that in the States you all just got a cheque for like $1200 or something. 

There was a 1-time direct payment for $1200 per person (so $2400 for a married couple) with an additional $600 per child-dependent.  (big snafu at the time was college-student-dependents not "counting" and weren't getting their own check because they are a tax-dependent of their parents)

There was a federal boost of $600/wk to unemployment which ended some time ago (and had a supplemental amount added back) -- but I don't have any direct experience with that, other than my sister-in-law being furloughed in a 1-week-on/1-week-off fashion that made it practically impossible for her to actually get unemployment in the state of FL.  (big takeaway is there are people who are STILL waiting for their FIRST unemployment checks, in some states and areas, that first filed back in March)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:
6 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Yeah see that's weird. By what logic is $570 supposed to carry you through 2 months?

I SUPPOSE the logic would be that I have a good paying job, based on my taxes filed previous year, so I don't need much assistance. Which was true, I didn't. 

But that was based on taxes paid for year 2018, and I still have my job. But what if I lost it due to the pandemic? What if I had to support family who lost their jobs or elderly family members? It wasn't very logical in my opinion.

I received nearly $3500 due to a single income, married household with two children, but I also stayed employed. They did reference 2019 tax records but I can't recall the specifics around when they would reference 2019 vs. 2018. 

Don't forget about the increased unemployment for those who lost their job as well. I think it was around an extra $600/week.

• Like 1

Just now, Silent Hill said:

I received nearly $3500 due to a single income, married household with two children, but I also stayed employed. They did reference 2019 tax records but I can't recall the specifics around when they would reference 2019 vs. 2018. 

Don't forget about the increased unemployment for those who lost their job as well. I think it was around an extra $600/week.

The 2018 vs 2019 had to do with whether you'd already filed at the time, and whether it had already been accepted/reviewed.  (in my mom's case, she had already filed, but there was some substantial delay in the IRS accepting the return -- so they used her 2018 taxes anyway)

• Like 2

Administrator · Posted
5 minutes ago, Silent Hill said:

Yeah that sounds reasonable enough. So if:

1. Getting unemployment is easy given the circumstances
  2. Even without unemployment, those who had to keep working received a reasonable 2 months of stimulus
  3. You don't have to pay rent for the duration of the lieu period (2 months in our example)
  4. Small businesses received a similarly appropriate stimulus (no examples from experience provided so far, let's assume)

Then surely that's reasonable enough to get the American people to work together to beat this thing, sit at home for the duration, and kick it's ass, right? The government had you all covered.

Unless... people were selfish and went and spent the stimulus on video games.

But surely that'd not happen... that'd be... ridiculous.

• Like 2

I haven’t read the response for a while in here but wow I can see now why the US is the way it is with their cases. Something like 80k cases a day and people still want to do a Thanksgiving in person lol.

I feel sorry for the sensible people really trying. Stay safe, because I think you guys are in for a bad winter.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

European countries like france, italy and poland are seeing massive increases in cases. When you adjust per capa it's the equivalent of 200-300k new cases a day on the US.

Im just really hoping the US being in the spotlight the entire time keeps us on our toes. 

Yep countries like France and the UK are getting back to scary numbers. Belgium and Czech Republic too.

It was to be expected considering a few weeks ago these countries were going on about just having to live with it and then walk around with no mask while eating at a packed pub. Then go to school and infect more people.

I think what a lot of them didn’t understand is that even if you are in the low risk category you still spread the virus which then in turn starts to fill the hospitals, the hospitals run out of room and then doctors have to choose who lives and who dies and also people with other issues such as heart attacks die because all the ICU beds are full. 

Europe’s deaths will most likely start rising rapidly over the next two weeks as the early cases start translating to deaths.

What is the hospital situation like in the US with the increase cases? Europe is the current focus in the media over here.

• Like 2