IGNORED

Contra - original illustration art sold

Bronty

1 hour ago, guillavoie said:

MyDogsrule cheking in! Awesome to see you found your way here man!

Thanks for the welcome!  There is too much going on in the collecting world now days to not want to be a part of a forum like this.  We would miss out on too much!   Heck, we all got to see the original Contra art already!  

• Like 2

Yep played MTG back from about '95-'01 then got back into it about 4 years ago. Wish I'd have kept my original collection as it would fetch in the high 5 figure range in 2019. I don't follow anything specific when it comes to original MTG Art other than just seeing the big headlines. I believe the asking price on the art for the Black Lotus was over 5 million and moxes close to a mill each. Insane to say that but they are iconic just as video game original art has become.

• Like 1

yes that’s right time walk sold for a mil.    The moxes a little less.  In a way what’s crazier to me is the price some of the brand new stuff gets.    25-40k for some of the new planes walkers where the paint isn’t even dry yet.

ydwen efreet is for sale at next HA auction, should do well.     

10 hours ago, Bronty said:

yes that’s right time walk sold for a mil.    The moxes a little less.  In a way what’s crazier to me is the price some of the brand new stuff gets.    25-40k for some of the new planes walkers where the paint isn’t even dry yet.

ydwen efreet is for sale at next HA auction, should do well.     

Wow had no clue modern MTG art was going 5 figures already. That's nuts!

1 hour ago, Phyrexian Hulk said:

Wow had no clue modern MTG art was going 5 figures already. That's nuts!

every single brand new set has at least a piece or three that sell for five figures yeah.

Here's a transcript of some card from the new set.    There's probably more valuable ones but its the first one I found.    Again, this is brand new and not vintage.   Anything from alpha is 50k up these days. 

UPDATE: We are at $16,500.00.
Hello everyone. We have another new Howard Lyon painting for The card Fabled Passage from the upcoming Throne of Eldrane Magic the Gathering set. It is being auctioned exclusively in the MTG Art Market starting now and ends on Monday October 7th at 11:00 Eastern Standard Time. This is a nice sized piece with the Dimensions being 16 x20 inches oil on linen on Gatorboard. A small note. The floating Lilly pad with a Lotus on it on the left side of the tree was digitally moved further away from the tree under Wizards direction. Howard and I both prefer it where it was originally painted. This is a highly playable card. It’s better then Evolving Winds. Looking for an opening bid of $3000.00. Please bid in $50.00 minimum increments. If any bid is placed with in 10 minutes of the auction ending, 10 minutes will be added from the time of that bid until there are no bids within the 10 minute period of time. Please make all bids by PM'ing me directly or by placing your bid on this original thread in the MtG Art Market Facebook page. Bidding amount does not include shipping charges from Utah. Payment by Pay Pal sent directly to Howard. Payment may be broken up into 3 equal payments over 2 months. Howard will also include foil 1/30 artist proof. Good luck, Mark Aronowitz and Howard Lyon.

PS. Howard will be out of the country till October 18th. Once back he will ship.

Edited by Bronty

Tip of the iceberg (!) as things like Nicol Bolas planeswwlker from the set earlier in the year went 40k.    Only a few new ones have gone over 40 but lots have gone over 25.

From looking at jace I would think that’s digital, and from the cards notoriety I’d guess that if it was traditional it would be an easy six figures not five figures.   It’s pretty nuts out there. 

And yeah artists like Terese Nielsen and Rebecca Guay and Chris Rahn and so on must be cleaning up.   Getting assigned to paint a powerful card is basically a 25k bonus for them.   

And again, this is for new stuff .   The heat on anything powerful or interesting that’s pre legends is off the charts.

3 minutes ago, Jfreakofkorn said:

No f ing way . . . So rich n deep into colour. Congrats on the need addition and the help w your agent.

Had me thinking, what kind of original artwork is floating out there, that we dont know about ?

thanks.   There's lots of cool stuff out there but also lots destroyed or owned by corporations unfortunately.   As a rough guide only 10% of the NES stuff is in private hands.   Maybe we get to 15 or 20 percent one day?   BUt never 60 or 80.   Capcom from mega man 3 until the date tings went digital is generally out there.   Everything else is real spotty.

Edited by Bronty
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bronty said:

thanks.   There's lots of cool stuff out there but also lots destroyed or owned by corporations unfortunately.   As a rough guide only 10% of the NES stuff is in private hands.   Maybe we get to 15 or 20 percent one day?   BUt never 60 or 80.   Capcom from mega man 3 until the date tings went digital is generally out there.   Everything else is real spotty.

Is there a file or achieve at what is missing or what is found from the assortm3nt of art out there ? 

I just love it when perseverance, conviction and love for a game related item comes through.  I am fairly certain that Dan had to let go some of his babies to land such an epic piece.  And so worth it once it comes to fruition.  Congrats.  What an amazing piece of gaming history!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jfreakofkorn said:

Is there a file or achieve at what is missing or what is found from the assortm3nt of art out there ? 

No not really but sometimes theses things are discussed in the Facebook group which you’re welcome to join any time 

Edited by Bronty

14 minutes ago, 1upped said:

I just love it when perseverance, conviction and love for a game related item comes through.  I am fairly certain that Dan had to let go some of his babies to land such an epic piece.  And so worth it once it comes to fruition.  Congrats.  What an amazing piece of gaming history!

You rock Am, thanks 😉

6 hours ago, Bronty said:

No not really but sometimes theses things are discussed in the Facebook group which you’re welcome to join any time 

With US being a forum in preserving and maintaining electronic history w discussing current gaming styles, should nt we start something here to start an archive and draw more attention OUR community here along w connecting w others ?