IGNORED

Contra - original illustration art sold

Bronty

28 minutes ago, OptOut said:

OMG, that is AMAZING! 😄

That has got to be one of the best possible box art paintings to get hold of for the whole NES library, well done!

I'm just wondering, what's your MOST desired NES boxart painting at this point? I know you were after this one for a long time. But if you could get your hands on just one more, either known to be out there or unknown, which would it be? Or would giving away that secret put the whole search in jeopardy?!

Anyway, just wanted to say well done, PLEASE keep sharing stories and photos of your art! 

Thanks everybody.

Favorite target?   So hard to answer.   Don’t know 100% of what’s out there or what it would look like in person, etc.   And many of the ones I’d want aren’t possible.  

A couple of my favorite games are gradius and ghosts n goblins.   Those would be very cool also, as would many others TBH.    I’m not really a ‘I found a nice piece so I can stop’ guy - if that was the case I would have stopped 10 years ago

Edited by Bronty

1 hour ago, Bronty said:

I was wondering if anyone would pick up on that a couple days ago 😉

I had a serious hunch, but figured you'd have been too excited not to tell us if you'd really acquired it. 

Beyond happy for you my man, this is my favourite video game of all time and this is the single greatest defining item relating to that title. It truly doesn't get any better than that. Congrats

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Bronty said:

Thx Corey for the last bit especially. 

A little bit about the artist Bob Wakelin.  

https://www.exotica.org.uk/wiki/Bob_Wakelin

He clearly had an awesome sense of humour if you roll thru his comments on his work .   He has passed away. 

Thanks for the link, that was a great read.  I had no idea he was a part of some much other game related art.

• Like 1

Congrats, man! I still think the Contra III art you posted on NA was one of the best things I ever saw on that forum. I remember inquiring about it just for shits but never realized how much these went for... off by at least a zero 😛 This is so awesome. Some of my favourite artwork along with Castlevania. Amazing piece!

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Futureman said:

Just nuts man. I was discussing the old bounty post a few months ago and was wondering if anything came out of your search.

What's your total count for original nes box art up to now?

Thx.   It would be a number in the low thirties somewhere, although I’ve had a few pass through my hands .   I think Adam has a similar number.    Doesn’t sound like much, but then most of the artwork just isn’t available.    After all this time there’s still less than 100 known.   So many were Japanese and or destroyed and or photos and or logos and or this that or the other.   When you apply all the filters it’s only a small minority that do exist. 

Edited by Bronty
  • Wow! 1

Mega-congrats on getting this one.  It's actually smaller than I assumed, using your had as a scale.

So, is this now the largest, single-item game purchase on informal record?

EDIT

And with a price like that, I'm now wondering if I'll have to reverse-mortgage my home to ever get that sword used on all of the US, Final Fantasy box art. 

Edited by RH

16 minutes ago, RH said:

Mega-congrats on getting this one.  It's actually smaller than I assumed, using your had as a scale.

So, is this now the largest, single-item game purchase on informal record?

EDIT

And with a price like that, I'm now wondering if I'll have to reverse-mortgage my home to ever get that sword used on all of the US, Final Fantasy box art. 

thanks so much.

The 80s pieces tended to be smaller and the 90s pieces larger.   Not a hard and fast rule, but earlier usually = smaller.

I suppose this is the 2nd largest purchase for a single item - there was a 350k sale in January that was mentioned on NA by Adam and three separate 145-150k ones as well.

Edited by Bronty