IGNORED

Do you collect it all, or just the stuff you like?

Brain says get them, get them all!

Wallet says, sometimes I need a break.

Wife says, fill up my wallet before you fill up yours.

So in summary, I collect what I want with the funds I have, making sure the missus’ wallet isn’t empty.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, WhyNotZoidberg said:

Full Lynx set? Niice. I have about a dozen titles CIB and sealed but I just don't come across them very often. Even retail stores usually don't have them.

Yes, I got most of it in the 90's. Through the years I got anything I had been missing, which wasn't much.  🙂

4 hours ago, Sumez said:

Maybe I'm just too old in this game, but I feel like this "full set" stuff is something that didn't really start to truly surface until recently. There's always been the occasional weirdo who wanted "all the games", but it wasn't until around 10 or so years ago that I started repeatedly running into a ton of people who've never been intro physical "retro" games previously who'd just automatically start assuming that someone who buys old games can be pushed anything remotely belonging to the same category, no matter how shitty it is.

It's not uncommon that I hear people in the local groupings around here saying stuff like "Wow, I didn't know you were collecting PS1 games too"

Bitch if I want the game, and it happens to be a PS1 game, then I'll buy a PS1 game.

Well thats the same time frame I was thinking of. About 10 years ago seems like an eternity ago to me. It also seemed like a NES/SNES phenomenon mostly back then as well. But I don't see too many people doing it anymore. But I enjoy it, I long since got the games I was truly in love with and just kept going, I enjoy the act of checking off my lists as I go.

Mine is only games I like or that I think I'll like, and only getting the rare/expensive games if I find them for a great deal. 

I collect for NES, SNES, N64, GameCube, Wii, Switch, GBC, GBA, DS, 3DS, PSP, and club Nintendo items. My main focuses are DS and GameCube with N64 being my least collected system. Pretty sure I only have like 5 or 6 N64 games. 

I don't see the point in buying crappy shovelware games but I do see the allure to finishing a full set. Just not my cup of tea.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

I For some reason Ive never been interested in anything Handheld, Turbographx, Odyssey 2, or Channel F .

I love seeing when people just make mention of the Channel F. Most new collectors have never heard of it. We need to educate.

At this point it’s pretty much just NES for me.  Always looking for them boxes to convert my loose games.  I also collect SNES, Genesis, Gameboy, PS1, N64, PS2, Wii, and I guess PS4? I don’t consider myself as collecting for it but I’ve accumulated a bunch of games.

I was really into PS1 collecting for a good while.  I was really into hunting down the rarities and the “must haves” and the crap too.  I’ve been paring it down to the “must haves” and some of the rarities I really like.  The only new stuff I really consider picking up at this point is Lightspan stuff.  Really never see those rare discs.

The other systems I’ll hunt for when I get the idea in my head that I need to beef up this or that or I need to add X game to some system.  Its been a long while though.  I was into picking up Wii stuff before Corona because I like being able to actually find stuff at thrift shops. 

I’d like to go for complete subsets of some things like Dragon Quest but I just can’t bring myself to pick up games for systems I don’t own.

1 minute ago, The Strangest said:

I looooove them.

But I might just be crazy. I own a Coleco Gemini.

You know, I used to like that stuff when I was younger and when it was closer to release. Born in '84 so I played everything from the 2600 on up. Revisiting those consoles in recent years just didn't do it for me.

What's the appeal to you other than nostalgia? I mean, the NES has everything beat before it, if you ask me.

5 minutes ago, TheGreatBlackCat said:

What's the appeal to you other than nostalgia? I mean, the NES has everything beat before it, if you ask me.

There are some experiences on the older systems that you just can't get on the NES.  Kaboom, for example is an awesome super fast-paced paddle game that's worth owning an Atari for by itself if you like games that test your hand-to-eye coordination at the most extreme and elite levels...

32 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

There are some experiences on the older systems that you just can't get on the NES.  Kaboom, for example is an awesome super fast-paced paddle game that's worth owning an Atari for by itself if you like games that test your hand-to-eye coordination at the most extreme and elite levels...

I love Circus Atari, played it with the lady recently. They are definitely simple archaic games but they have a charm to them.

I started collecting about 1998 or 1999, back in those days everyone did fullset. That's how I started, that's still my mentality now.

I have a (basic) fullset of Famicom (loose), currently working on the following fullsets:

-Sega Mega Drive full set (about 40% done)

-Super A'Can full set (75% done)

-Game King full set (near completion)

-Gamate full set (half done?)

-Sega Master System (J) full set (1/5 done)

-N64 full set (no idea how much I've got thus far)

-bootleg full set of Sega Mega Drive/Genesis carts exclusive to USA or Europe

-full set of bootleg og Game Boy games

-full set of Taiwan version 3DS games

And the list goes on.

Some of these sets I'll finish, others possibly not.

But I'm an opportunist by now, if I see something for cheap and local, which looks interesting, I'll pick it up.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TheGreatBlackCat said:

You know, I used to like that stuff when I was younger and when it was closer to release. Born in '84 so I played everything from the 2600 on up. Revisiting those consoles in recent years just didn't do it for me.

I like to own it for the history behind it. But there are plenty of great Atari 2600 games worth playing though. I love the fast paced stuff like Spider Fighter, Crackpots, Kaboom, Dragonfire, Millipede, etc.

In that regard the NES has... just Millipede? Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

Edited by The Strangest

I find it interesting that among the people not going flat out for fullsets, usually there is still at least one system that thy want to go for. Obviously like myself with N64 in my case, and others have mentioned various particular systems they want the set for.

I think it shows there is some inherent draw and appeal to collecting for the sake of collecting, that can be satisfied with a narrow focused approach. In general I do find the whole gamer/collector dichotomy very interesting, and I often find myself thinking about it quite a lot.

Honestly, I think it's one of the things that makes the hobby so fun and fascinating and rewarding to be a part of, and it makes discussion within the community very interesting too because we're all unique in our perspectives and priorities.

It's definitely kept me coming back time and time again! 🙂

I bought everything when I first started but I realized that wasn’t really sustainable from a space perspective so now I just focus on Nintendo cartridge media. I completed the N64 loose set and now pretty much just buy NES and SNES and I sprinkle in random other stuff now and again to keep it fun. The N64 loose was really a grind at the end, I’m not sure I’d go for another full set. 

9 hours ago, TheGreatBlackCat said:

It's not always about the game specific experience to me, but the experience of doing something from the past. This is what a kid in the 70's would experience that I didn't because I wasn't born until '91.  I have a console record player for the same reason. I could get a modern player thats only takes up some room on a table and sounds 10x better, but thats not what most people experience in the 60's/70's. They had a big piece of furniture to play records on, so that's what I try to experience.

TLDR; I live in the past, get off my lawn!

• Like 3

Yeah I look at fullset collecting as a time capsule.

The first console generation I was old enough/financially stable to join at launch time was PS2, Xbox, Gamecube. I decided on going for the Xbox fullset because Xbox opened a lot of doors for me, also the best graphics of that era (even though many devs ported PS2). I want to play all the games even if they're garbage to see what I missed.

During that gen I was buying or receiving new games often, I was active in an Xbox message board community and got to go to e3 in 2005. Those memories definitely are nostalgic to me.

Old stuff has the same place, gotta see what I missed out on but I didn't have as much access then, so I gravitate towards the hits.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

It's not always about the game specific experience to me, but the experience of doing something from the past. This is what a kid in the 70's would experience that I didn't because I wasn't born until '91.  I have a console record player for the same reason. I could get a modern player thats only takes up some room on a table and sounds 10x better, but thats not what most people experience in the 60's/70's. They had a big piece of furniture to play records on, so that's what I try to experience.

TLDR; I live in the past, get off my lawn!

My parents had a 2600 when they were younger. I ended up buying a “broken” 2600 for next to nothing. Turns out the seller just didn’t know how to hook it up to the TV. My dad’s face lit up when he saw the 2600, and again when I showed them that this relic still works like it’s new out of the box. My mom just wanted to play Pac-Man again.

• Like 1