IGNORED

Does anyone collect strategy guides?

maxlords

I recently just added two more guides into my collection.  Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon and yesterday locally got the original Pokemon Nintendo players guide for red/blue totally intact.  I love that old late 80s early mid-90s era Nintendo guide stuff.  That pokemon guide seems to have a lot of that early one off never mainstream used hand drawn images of all the pokemon which is fun to see.  I think some of the sprite art looks wrong, maybe late beta stuff slipped in that wasn't in game as it looks off.

• Like 1

On 8/10/2020 at 9:55 PM, Tanooki said:

I recently just added two more guides into my collection.  Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon and yesterday locally got the original Pokemon Nintendo players guide for red/blue totally intact.  I love that old late 80s early mid-90s era Nintendo guide stuff.  That pokemon guide seems to have a lot of that early one off never mainstream used hand drawn images of all the pokemon which is fun to see.  I think some of the sprite art looks wrong, maybe late beta stuff slipped in that wasn't in game as it looks off.

Do you own any of the Versus Books guides? Those were the shit back then, they published all of the glitches like Missing No etc.

I've started to collect a couple of them,.. I find they help my motivation a lot with these really long RPG's .. so that I don't get stuck and then just give up

Speaking of... Does anyone know if they ever made a strategy guide for the original Suikoden for the PS1?  All I seem to see on ebay are the games after the first....

spacer.png

Edited by Pendragonx
image!

I am. 

Mainly the SNES, RPG/adventure for now... may go for the complete SNES guide library someday..

BTW, presently looking for these guide : lufia 2 ($$$ I know!) ,  Brain Lord both variant, Secret of evermore (the variant I doesn't own), Tecmo Secret of the Stars.

IMG_9199.JPG

IMG_9200.JPG

IMG_9203.JPG

IMG_9204.JPG

IMG_9205.JPG

IMG_9207.JPG

Edited by TheBiRD
  • Like 3
  • Wow! 1

Wow now that's nice.  One of these days, maybe now?, I should lay out all those I have and take pics, but it would take some time as the list of what I have isn't short.

43 official Nintendo made guides (newest being the pokemon sword/shield and 'Go' pika/eevee before that for switch. 27 more official prima and otherwise strategy guides.  12 other gaming related books (worlds of power, best of nintendo comics and super mario hardbacks, etc.)

Almost all of it have great to excellent condition going on so they'd look good on camera, I don't keep beaters if it's avoidable.  That one up there, lost out a couple times on that but would be nice to see that FFMQ guide in hand even if it is an easy game as I enjoy the period maps, info, stats etc on a title too.

If you're curious: http://tanooki.byethost16.com/strategyguides.html

On 8/23/2020 at 5:55 PM, Pendragonx said:

I've started to collect a couple of them,.. I find they help my motivation a lot with these really long RPG's .. so that I don't get stuck and then just give up

Speaking of... Does anyone know if they ever made a strategy guide for the original Suikoden for the PS1?  All I seem to see on ebay are the games after the first....

There is a guide for Suikoden on PS1 ... typically sells for around $70.  One up right now for $100/obo:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/274469885867

• Thanks 1

Glad to see this thread getting some appropriate love!  Guides and paper are IMO such a great alternative to game collecting.  Who doesn't love to thumb through picture books of your favorite game.... right?  haha

I recently was able to add a shelving unit and bring all the children together to one displayed home finally.  Have a few more file organizers coming to help keep the uniformity throughout as my OCDness gets a little whacky.  Everything I've got is separated by either platform or publisher as follows: 

NES / GAMEBOY WATA GRADED SNES / SANDWICH ISLANDS
ZELDA GAME COUNSELOR / MEDIA KITS / INTERNAL NOA SNES
GAMEFAN / VERSUS / DIMENSION / Q64 NEWSLETTERS / GB / PRESS KITS SEGA / N64 / NINTENDO PLAYERS GUIDES
GAME PLAYERS / NINTENDO POWER  NINTENDO POWER NINTENDO POWER
NES / CYOA BOOKS SUPPLEMENTALS / WORKING DESIGNS / VIDIOT BOY / TURBO IMPORTS / PC

Collection.thumb.jpg.96c0b5ca79dd448e0d8

Enjoy!  It's been a very long time in the making.

• Like 1

Pic doesn't show up for me.  😞

@Gloves

This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.
<Error>
<Code>AccessDenied</Code>
<Message>Access Denied</Message>
<RequestId>6C17CB25B7256B2B</RequestId>
<HostId>
7ar4rpmrPk1SQtoFMFs4pY8FMRaFAJ6WJPUqK2O5Pi5iRtSdaOqZjY/4Tbw/Gi2/tokdln94kBk=
</HostId>
</Error>
Edited by Ferris Bueller

Administrator · Posted
3 minutes ago, Ferris Bueller said:

Pic doesn't show up for me.  😞

@Gloves

This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.
<Error>
<Code>AccessDenied</Code>
<Message>Access Denied</Message>
<RequestId>6C17CB25B7256B2B</RequestId>
<HostId>
7ar4rpmrPk1SQtoFMFs4pY8FMRaFAJ6WJPUqK2O5Pi5iRtSdaOqZjY/4Tbw/Gi2/tokdln94kBk=
</HostId>
</Error>

He'll have to re-upload, it doesn't seem to exist.

Since Reed bothered I won't be lazy about it, just took these.  Enjoy.  Switch Pokemon (Sword/Shield and Let's Go! aren't shown as I'm letting my kid use them on her Switch time.)  A great many of these have been locally sourced over the years a few kept over the time too.  I do have the Diablo 2 guide, it's just inside the battle chest box still.

guides-pc.JPG

guides-nintendo-etc.JPG

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Wow! 1

I feel the same there's a solid list of console, but also some old PC stuff there too.  And I know well from some guides, the old early 90s later 80s PC guides were usually fairly awesome as they'd be like story driven novels with the tips you needed in the sentences, but then other parts would have the spelled out things and maps, tables so you didn't miss it.  I have one I'm selling soon that's for Roger Wilco 1-4 that's like that.

• 6 months later...
On 7/23/2020 at 6:26 PM, Bighab said:

I love collecting strategy guides. Some of my favorites. The Landstalker one is a Japanese guide. I'm curious if anyone else has other import guides and how useful they are.

guide2 (1).jpg

guide2 (2).jpg

guide3.jpg

That Shining Force guide is awesome

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Since my goal is to build a Koei Collection, I have a healthy number of their Japanese strategy guides. I also have a few non-Koei ones for games like Destiny of an Emperor 2, Secret of Mana, Final Fantasy VI, etc. 

The super cool thing about the Japanese guides is that most of them are in that cool 'mook' format. Colorful like a magazine but the smaller form factor of a paperback novel. Like the one I attached for Romance of the Three Kingdoms 2

They're the best.

Maybe one day I'll actually learn to read Japanese 🤪

i-img896x1200-1573889806kfyw9a230528.jpg

• Like 4