IGNORED

Spare change please!

Tabonga

Events Team · Posted
39 minutes ago, Estil said:

That makes sense, seeing as how that's what's most often used in vending machines and (if any are still around) arcade games! 😄 

My couple local arcades went under in the past few months. 😥

My pinball house is still technically in business but continues to be temporarily closed.  Really hope it comes through ok.  It's been a rough summer.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

49 minutes ago, Estil said:

For any Canadians here (BTW, your Red Green Show rocks!), when you guys got rid of the dollar bill (1987-89) and later the penny (2012), were those two considered just as iconic as our US dollar bill and penny and thus many people did not want to let them go...or in both cases was the public just like "eh" at the transition?  I also wonder the same about the UK's (again the country, not the university) famous 1971 Decimal Day.

Red Green is great, he was supposed to pass through my city here on a comedy tour a little while ago, I'm not sure if it got cencelled with Covid.

There had been rumours of abandoning the penny for a while, so back in 2011 / 2012 when we heard more about it, I just assumed it was all rumour again until it got officially announced. Honestly I never knew anyone to actually care, most people I knew didn't use coins anymore, vending machines had never accepted pennies anyway and it didn't seem like much of a big deal when it happened.

Initially when we were trying to figure out how the rounding would go, there were talks of rounding amounts ending in 1 and 3 down, and rounding amounts ending in 2 and 4 up. When it actually happened, it went 1/2 down and 3/4 up so everything that was $1.99 was now $2 so stores saw a lot of extra revenue from that. It's still advertised as $1.99 though because if you pay debit, you still pay $1.99, it's only cash purchases that get rounded. Plastic is still exact.

Right after the switch happened, I would still have leftover pennies in my pocket and would count out 5 or 10 of them to make payment in a store and every time the cashier would tell me, "Oh, we don't take pennies anymore." I would have to argue with them that pennies are still legal tender, they are obligated under federal law to accept them until the end of time, it's just that the Canadian Mint isn't making them anymore. They'll always still be money. The cashiers really hated me because they no longer had a slot in their register to put them in so they'd have pennies mixed in with other denominations.

Some stores have been even better with the rounding and have a policy to always round down, so if they have something listed at $1.99 and you pay cash, they'll take $1.95 instead of rounding up. It's a nice thing some stores do, Home Depot does it even though they're a USA based company.

It's strange to see a penny now, I was in the USA recently and got brown coins back in my change one day, it was a shock to see before my brain understood what was happening.