IGNORED

Retro Gaming Youtubers...Good or Bad for the Hobby?

I have to mention that it is really sad that many classic YouTube users such as ericmansuper, Blaziken257Tailz64, yearofthePlayitBogart, and undercoverfilmer00v (now known as No1Run) barely get any viewers these days and upload less frequently, or have quit altogether. It's unfortunate that a lot of people these days seem to think only Celebrities are worth their time. YouTube was so much better in its early years than it is now.

Edited by MegaMan52
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Nintegageo said:

The hobby or the price o the hobby?

This is exactly what I think and I still believe the answer is neither. I wait for the day once those celebrities stop making those stupid hidden gem videos and this hobby can actually become a hobby again

HOWEVER I will give some credit to any youtubers specializing in old computers (Commodore/Amiga/Apple2 etc...) as many of them still produce quality content, however they seem to produce more technical knowledge stuff but this suits my interests. However any sort of retro console youtubers became absolute dumpster trash

Edited by VegaVegas

On 7/23/2020 at 10:19 AM, WhyNotZoidberg said:

I still quote the Game Chasers daily. And it's (mostly) their vids that got me doing all that...game...chasing... ugh.. lol

I actually enjoy their channel quite a bit.  Not so much any more but I’d watch those early episodes and just have an uncontrollable urge to find cool stuff to add to my collection.  
Actually spending time on NA and now here does the same thing to me.

Edited by Hammerfestus
  • Like 1

What else would a retro gamer watch on YouTube other then retro gaming related videos?

I think YouTube can be a great and entertaining source for information which is a good thing for any hobby or interest. The one thing that does erk me a bit is the overwhelming amount of new commers to retro gaming and collect who instantly start making videos with little background experience with subjects. I'm also not a fan of pick ups, unboxing, trash talking other content creators and drama, basic single game reviews with wiki info and no opinion and reaction videos. For the most part those style of videos generally lack passion and effort. Which has oversaturated the scene, however I'm still open to them, because there are folks that find ways to make anything entertaining and/ or informative. 

In terms of the increase in interest and price inflation over the past 15 years, YouTube may have contributed to this but other forms of social media would have also contributed to this. If it wasn't YouTube folks blame it would have been Instagram or Facebook or Twitter or Twitch or Nintendo Age or Go Collect or whatever.

Edited by Ted Playa