IGNORED

Retro Gaming Youtubers...Good or Bad for the Hobby?

Events Team · Posted
3 hours ago, ThePhleo said:

There’s one episode of game grumps in particular where they really hammer AVGN in the head with his nerd persona.

Its the one where they play Mickey mousecapade for NES

God, absolute classic. That episode still to this day kills me any time I watch it.

• Haha 1

+ 1 to Gaming Historian, SNES Drunk, and Sega Lord X.

I like (gasp) Pat, Ian and the CU Podcast. I also still enjoy the AVGN videos, mostly for nostalgias sake but I do like the James & Mike Mondays videos and some of their movie content as well. 

616 Entertainment is fun if you have nostalgia for old wrestling games. Lots of good coverage.

7 hours ago, austin532 said:

The amount of "angry reviewers" have dropped significantly over the years. It's nothing like it was around 2006-2008 where you would see new ones pop up all the time.

Oh they’re alive and well, they just do it for some weird satisfaction now instead of comedy.

(If we’re talking about bad Youtubers, DreamcastGuy is on the shitlist.)

Graphics Team · Posted
17 hours ago, ChickenTendas said:

There are tons of cartoon channels. There are tons of gaming channels. But I can't think of a single channel that combines both. That could totally work.

I like the idea haha. Doing quality animated videos would probably be way too exhausting and time consuming, but throwing some doodles into a regularly-filmed video could definitely work!

-CasualCart

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ChickenTendas said:

No I understand where you're coming from. I do appreciate that you took the time to explain why the video format isn't for you. I am curious by "this hobby" do you mean collecting or gaming? I can't even wrap my head around someone starting collecting nearly 15 years before I was born, let alone still in the hobby. You must have a stellar collection 😛

Heh.  I consider collecting a part of gaming and to me they're pretty much inextricable.  As for my collection, I sold a lot of things well before they were valuable.  I'm at the age where I only keep the things I like the most and I know there's NO way I can EVER play everything I even have.

For example, I sold my complete mint Action 52 for $50 at CGE in the early 2000s, paid $5.  Bought a sealed GBC Shantae for $15, sold if for, um, $30.  I sold off a fair amount of my complete NES and SNES stuff when I got divorced about 10 years ago, before the new price hikes unfortunately.  However, what I have left is a core of pretty solid titles.  You'd be surprised what I used to have and what I chose to keep. 

I've let a lot of things slip through my collection and played almost everything out there that I wanted to so far.  I even wrote part of the old Digital Press price guide (way out of date now) and have gotten into reviewing new stuff.  Everything evolves, I suppose!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChickenTendas said:

No I understand where you're coming from. I do appreciate that you took the time to explain why the video format isn't for you. I am curious by "this hobby" do you mean collecting or gaming? I can't even wrap my head around someone starting collecting nearly 15 years before I was born, let alone still in the hobby. You must have a stellar collection 😛

If you really want to blow your mind...we didn't have internet when I was a kid.  Dial up on local bulletin board systems which were text based.  No GUI interfaces, all text only.  The web didn't even appear until I was in high school, and even cell phones were almost unheard of until after I graduated from university.  No google.  No faqs.  No videos.  You had to buy stuff on VHS or rent it.  You had to get information about new games from magazines and read actual physical books to do research.  Where I grew up, no cable or satellite either.  I spent three months stuck in Zelda: Link to the Past one time because I didn't have a guide and couldn't find what I'd missed.  We used to graph out games like Phantasy Star on graph paper because it was the only way to map the dungeons other than memorizing them.  I actually memorized EVERY dungeon in Shining in the Darkness and beat the damn game!  I could go from the town to the end with no help. 

On the upside, only a handful of releases a year, you could actually play through most games, and you could finish most games in a few days at most, none of this neverending online crap, no 150 hour games, and no online trash talk or cyberbullying. 

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

1 hour ago, maxlords said:

On the upside, only a handful of releases a year, you could actually play through most games, and you could finish most games in a few days at most...

This is one thing I miss. Because so many new games come out every year, I have a HUGE backlog of games. I remember when there were 1 or 2 "MUST HAVE" game(s) every year, and nothing else really mattered.

• Like 1

A very brief history of YouTube:

2006: YouTube gets noticed and is a fun place for everyone. People enjoy watching basically any retro gaming video, watch them from start to finish, and post real comments

2020: YouTube resembles Facebook. Many users are picky about nearly everything from the type of video to a video's display, have shorter attention spans, and post spam comments...or nothing at all

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Count said:

They're just SO saturated that I lost interest years ago.

I've tried watching just about every major (More than 1000 subs) gaming Youtuber out there, and I have a few curated channels that I still follow. Many channels just seem to do the exact same stuff as the others. My favorite channels of all time go to The Gaming Historian and Nostalgia Nerd. Then again, I love in-depth history videos on gaming and tech. 

I'll add a few suggestions that haven't been mentioned so far.

Ahoy is great for serious deep dive history on specific games, as well as broader topics with a lot of original research. Particular focus on the FPS genre, which is cool. He also did AMAZINGLY well researched videos on Polybius and the first video games. Seriously recommend.

LGR is great, surprised no one has mentioned him yet. Very nice easy going dude with a humorous and we'll mannered delivery. Goes into amazing depth on a wide range of gaming and computing hardware and games. I have learned so much about old computers and hardware I never even would have heard of from him, and his thrifting videos are great too!

Nostalgia nerd (not to be confused with Nostalgia critic, shudders) also takes a look at a similar range of gaming and computing as LGR, only from a British perspective. For me the content of his I keep going back to are his overviews of various game systems. He has detailed recaps of the development and worldwide launches of many systems, such as the Master system, 3DO, Jaguar, Genesis, 32x etc. And also home computers including the amstrad, the amiga, spectrum and more, all with plenty of archival footage and interview excerpts from the time. These are truly interesting and well made documentaries.

48 minutes ago, Tekdrudge said:

I've tried watching just about every major (More than 1000 subs) gaming Youtuber out there, and I have a few curated channels that I still follow. Many channels just seem to do the exact same stuff as the others. My favorite channels of all time go to The Gaming Historian and Nostalgia Nerd. Then again, I love in-depth history videos on gaming and tech. 

Oh you just mentioned Nostalgia Nerd, lol! Well I'll just second you then, lol!

Also, not exactly gaming, but I love tech moan too!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Link said:

I don’t enjoy them. 

I would rather read what someone has to say.

Fair enough, but you're missing out on so much potential that an audio/visual medium can deliver. Archive footage of interviews, adverts and news segments. Visual explorations of rare hardware in operation,  the features and functions you can't fully express in the written word. The sights and sounds of a game actually being played, as though you were there watching your buddy play it hanging round his place back in the day.

In terms of the FEEL of these old games and the historical context and excitement of the games and systems, honestly video is the next best thing to actually getting your hands on the things yourself. And as for the archive footage, well without a time machine you're never getting that again.

1 hour ago, OptOut said:

honestly video is the next best thing

I agree 100%... in potential. Trust me: my college major was video production, because I think it can be an excellent communication medium for telling both stories and facts. Movies and TV are awesome. The democratization of moving images that occurred with film, then expanded with video, then expanded again with digital media, was excellent. I don’t want to be a gatekeeper, but we have lowered the barrier of entry to a point where I can not maintain an expectation of quality. Speaking as a B-movie fan — especially Troma — I think that says something about the state of video content. 

I can say the same thing about text publishing from the Gutenburg press to today’s social media. We reached a pinnacle from restriction to powerful expression, and are now rolling downhill to incoherent rants gaining traction in our discourse. 

In what happens nowadays, on youtube in the gaming scene, I see a bunch of annoying, low quality, time-sucking crap with annoying theme songs. We have broken barriers, but we are past a point where effort or a certain kind of passion is needed to put your stuff out there.

Video game critique and discussion content can have an excellent platform in streaming video. I am disappointed with the majority of the results, and I think the blogs of 10-20 years ago had a much higher signal-to-noise ratio.

• Like 2

@Link do yourself a favour and watch literally the first minute of the Ahoy Doom video I posted above. Just the first minute dude.

If you're not impressed, even a little, by the production quality on display, well then yeah I don't think anything else I could show you would convince you of the potential merits of gaming videos on YouTube! 😅

11 hours ago, ChickenTendas said:

I just don't get this. People that actually put in the work and research to make creative, interesting videos struggle to find an audience, yet this asshat is almost at 200k subs.

Negativity brings in the views. Jim Stirling did a video on this a month or so back. All of his positive videos that praise certain titles get garbage views, but if he puts out a video shitting on Bethesda it does gangbusters every time.

In regards to YouTube in general, I think it's a good thing. 99% of its garbage but that's no different to everything else. I always wonder when people who complain about YouTube and prices got into collecting, and whether they actually would have got into collecting if we still lived in a pre-YouTube world.

Edited by Cepp

6 hours ago, OptOut said:

@Link do yourself a favour and watch literally the first minute of the Ahoy Doom video I posted above. Just the first minute dude.

If you're not impressed, even a little, by the production quality on display, well then yeah I don't think anything else I could show you would convince you of the potential merits of gaming videos on YouTube! 😅

I am impressed. Yes, that is very well done. I have some criticism for it but yes, it’s on the signal side of the signal-to-noise ratio imo.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Link said:

I am impressed. Yes, that is very well done. I have some criticism for it but yes, it’s on the signal side of the signal-to-noise ratio imo.

If you can stomach that video, then I also particularly recommend these other two from Ahoy as well:

Edited by OptOut

On 7/17/2020 at 6:56 PM, Tekdrudge said:

The title says it all. Do you feel Retro Gaming Youtubers are Good or Bad for the Hobby?

I feel it's a mixed bag, but mostly good. What say you?

I still quote the Game Chasers daily. And it's (mostly) their vids that got me doing all that...game...chasing... ugh.. lol

Feels like most of the channels I used to enjoy sorta grew stale a bit and I struggle to find new ones that I like. But overall I'd say it's good for the hobby. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, WhyNotZoidberg said:

I still quote the Game Chasers daily. And it's (mostly) their vids that got me doing all that...game...chasing... ugh.. lol

Feels like most of the channels I used to enjoy sorta grew stale a bit and I struggle to find new ones that I like. But overall I'd say it's good for the hobby. 

"I'm a floating head...oooohhh"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, OptOut said:

Oh you just mentioned Nostalgia Nerd, lol! Well I'll just second you then, lol!

Also, not exactly gaming, but I love tech moan too!

His coverage of The History of Commodore was a masterpiece. One my favorite Youtube documentaries. And it was made by one guy.

• Like 1