IGNORED

Retro Gaming Youtubers...Good or Bad for the Hobby?

1 hour ago, bowser said:

I like unboxing videos of brand new items because when I buy a used CIB game/console it helps me put everything back in it's proper intended place, especially the order of the inserts/manuals.

I wouldn't dare ever tell this to a non collector they'll just think I'm crazy lol.

I can definitely relate to this.

I’m probably showing my age here but I just absolutely cannot get into any YouTubers. 

The boring, no personality ones put me to sleep.

The “sit in front of a shelf of games and swear a lot” thing was never cool.

The try-too-hard AVGN character types must be entertaining to some, but it makes me cringe.

The “game chasers” genre is basically just poorly scripted American Pickers with low production quality.

That all said, I did enjoy the video game historian guy. Is he still around? I refuse to search for it because I don’t want AVGN in my suggested videos.

Maybe I should use a private browser and treat YouTube like the Hub.

• Like 3

Unboxing videos are an incredibly useful resource as a checklist of what extra inserts and advertisements should come in a used game for me.

I’ve used them to compare different print runs of games and even used them to see whether a “definitive” version of a game has all of the content on a disc or it’s some garbage vanilla repackaging with a DLC code.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BriGuy82 said:

I really like my life in gaming. They break it down better than anyone else imo. I like the interviews with kevtris and bunnyboy. I just got a pvm and watched the video on all the technical stuff. Very informative. 👍

Definitely one of the best on YT. They showed me that you didn't have to be a loud obnoxious character sitting in front of a game shelf in order to have a successful channel. The high production value of their videos also got me interested in photography/videography.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, austin532 said:

Definitely one of the best on YT. They showed me that you didn't have to be a loud obnoxious character sitting in front of a game shelf in order to have a successful channel. The high production value of their videos also got me interested in photography/videography.

What’s wrong with real Youtube channels

• Haha 2

While I don’t personally have anything against guys like MJR or Reggie, I will say that they’ve got a loyal following that will buy everything they show in a pickups or gems video (which isn’t MJR or Reggie’s faults). That being said, Reggie just showed Nebs n Debs, a homebrew I’ve been meaning to pickup. Looks like I’ll have to grab it sooner rather than later.

1 hour ago, The Strangest said:

While I don’t personally have anything against guys like MJR or Reggie, I will say that they’ve got a loyal following that will buy everything they show in a pickups or gems video (which isn’t MJR or Reggie’s faults). That being said, Reggie just showed Nebs n Debs, a homebrew I’ve been meaning to pickup. Looks like I’ll have to grab it sooner rather than later.

The MJR Crew seems to get a fair amount of hate. The "price increase" thing for one, but I feel that is not their fault. The gaming culture in general has boomed over the last decade causing many people to get into the hobby, thus causing scarcity. But like any hobby it ebbs and flows. I know at some point many people will start to get out again causing prices to lower once more. I also feel that MJR's "Buying Guide" videos are great for people that are new to the hobby. And having people interested in the same hobby is not a bad idea, take this forum for example.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
13 hours ago, MaddenCollector said:

I’m probably showing my age here but I just absolutely cannot get into any YouTubers. 

Same here.

Now I'm going to go yell at neighborhood children to get off my lawn!   (Or I would if they did that anymore, now they're all watching Youtube)

40 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I really don't watch any of them. I either grew up with the games or can just play them myself. 

I watch Youtubers but mostly for information/education. I'm a big fan of history/fixing videos. John Blue Riggs (Part of the MJR Crew) showed me how to fix my copy of Mario 64 when it stopped working.

When it comes to game streaming, I don't watch that stuff. I'll play the game myself.

3 minutes ago, Tekdrudge said:

I watch Youtubers but mostly for information/education. I'm a big fan of history/fixing videos. John Blue Riggs (Part of the MJR Crew) showed me how to fix my copy of Mario 64 when it stopped working.

When it comes to game streaming, I don't watch that stuff. I'll play the game myself.

I like Metal Jesus. His Atari videos were helpful in finding good games when the local store was selling them for 50 cents each.

2 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I really don't watch any of them. I either grew up with the games or can just play them myself. 

2 hours ago, captmorgandrinker said:

Same here.

Now I'm going to go yell at neighborhood children to get off my lawn!   (Or I would if they did that anymore, now they're all watching Youtube)

bithead1000?

• Like 1

Moderator · Posted

I like the Metal Jesus crew generally, they’ve helped me identify good games I’ve overlooked and have some fun personalities that make me want to watch more. I’ve met John Hancock and Chelsea Beck in person and they are a blast to talk to; I kept coming back to their booth to shoot the breeze when I went to PRGE a couple of years ago.

I think some of the dislike that others have is when e-begging pops up. Asking viewers to like, share, and subscribe on every video is par for the course, and some offer Patreons to have an added experience and bonuses. But asking for donations so you can take a gaming road trip is understandably off-putting.

• Like 1

Homebrew Team · Posted

Generally I don't care for the hot takes and drama channels.  I very much enjoy the channels that focus on history, like Gaming Historian, ones that tackle technical aspects, like My Life on Gaming, ones that spot light a game with an entertainment / character overlay on the episode, like Game Dave, ones that talk about the nuances or poke fun at collecting, like DefaultGen, or quick reviews of games overlooked, like SNES Drunk.

• Like 1

I think it's been good for the hobby. It's got a younger generation into the Nes/Snes/Genesis era. Over the years I've enjoyed the odd "Hidden Gems" videos. I like the longplay videos so I can check out game play before buying a game which has been helpful.

I like Daria's stuff a lot - she has a great sense of humor and does dig up a lot of obscure and interesting gaming information. 

(In terms of disclosure I am perhaps favorably inclined towards her since we have been good friends for about 20 years now. I am still trying to get her to play Dark Wizard and do a video on that.)

Edited by Tabonga
  • Like 2