IGNORED

Mike Tyson's Punch Out Box Variants

NESfiend

See the below linked item on ebay. This guy has a game and box at 150 bucks and claims the box is a rare variant. This is what is in the item description:

"Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! late print (1990-1994).  What makes it extremely unique is that it is the variant known as the "PROMO COPY/STAR CODE".  This is only found on a few first party Nintendo releases and appears on the inner flaps of the box."

I checked my copy and it has those stars on the inner flaps. Is this actually a rare variant or is this guy just trying to beef up the price on a normal copy?

https://www.ebay.com/i/153856292267?chn=ps

On 7/17/2020 at 3:45 PM, NESfiend said:

See the below linked item on ebay. This guy has a game and box at 150 bucks and claims the box is a rare variant. This is what is in the item description:

"Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! late print (1990-1994).  What makes it extremely unique is that it is the variant known as the "PROMO COPY/STAR CODE".  This is only found on a few first party Nintendo releases and appears on the inner flaps of the box."

I checked my copy and it has those stars on the inner flaps. Is this actually a rare variant or is this guy just trying to beef up the price on a normal copy?

https://www.ebay.com/i/153856292267?chn=ps

Its not rare and its not a promo copy as wata says but someone paid $1800 for a copy some weeks ago . You don`t even need to see the code to know if its a star code. The back of the box has 1987,1989 written . Thats how you know its a "star code"

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mike-Tyson-s-Punch-Out-Nintendo-NES-Rare-Star-Code-Copy-Wata-8-0-/153986768339?hash=item23da539dd3%3Ag%3AT7cAAOSwgMxe-NAv&nma=true&si=iEI4xXVATfn7jjKMVwh1%2Fgn3q0A%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Edited by Mijael
  • Like 1

Oh wow. Thank you for this post!

Went and looked at one of my Tyson boxes I keep on display that's in pretty good shape and it's one of these lol. Still has the original shrink wrap on it too. Man, I love learning these kinds of things. Thank you so much for the info everyone 😄

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
2 hours ago, dewisp02 said:

I have a MTPO box with tabs that are blank (no game code). First I am noticing this so just wanted to see if this is another variant. 

It is. I have the same one.

You'll be able to see all of the variants on my site soon but the no-code box seems to be pretty uncommon.

10 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

It is. I have the same one.

You'll be able to see all of the variants on my site soon but the no-code box seems to be pretty uncommon.

Thought so. I have had many cib copies of this come through my hands over the years and this is the first time I noticed the no code (black-out) flaps. Pretty neat!