IGNORED

Game Debate #6: Pokemon Red/Blue

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

52 members have voted

1. 1. See below for explanation of ratings

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. Maybe one of the best released that year.
    • 7/10 - Very good game, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but I'm interested.
    • Never played it, never will.

Administrator · Posted
51 minutes ago, fox said:

Average game that got a huge marketing push and tons of hype.  The game is suppose to have this deep paper rock scissor set-up, but I found it easy to just use my two best Pokémon’s best attacks, so why bother collecting 150 more filler characters.  Well is this a classic rpg story at least?  Nope characters say “I like your shoes” then fight you.

I guess it is fine in the “baby’s first rpg” like Mystic Quest kind of way.  If you played any rpgs before this, I think it would be hard to see what the fuss was about.

I had played plenty of RPGs prior to Pokemon, but still enjoyed it for the collecting specifically. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I had played plenty of RPGs prior to Pokemon, but still enjoyed it for the collecting specifically. 

Same. Gotta catch em all, is literally the slogan for the franchise 🙂 

As for the battle system, i think it was solid for a GB game at the time and for an RPG geared towards kids. Not many GB RPG's had crazy deep battle systems anyway, and unless you grinded for hours on end you couldn't just beat any trainer with any pokemons best move. My first RPG's were Chrono Trigger and FF6, so i had my fair share of RPG's before i got to Pokemon. I guess i just enjoyed it for what it was 🤷‍♂️ There was nothing like it at the time, but many copycats after. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, The Strangest said:

Given how the Fortnite thread went, I’m expecting a lot of 1’s. We’re becoming more and more “Get off my lawn!”-ish by the day. 😂

I rated it an 8. Gold and Silver were indeed better, in fact Gold and a teal GBC were the first gaming items I ever owned when my parents got them for me one Christmas.

I still remember convincing my parents to take me to Best Buy every once in awhile to get another Pokémon game - somehow I managed to con them into also getting me Red, Blue, Yellow, Silver, and Crystal.

”Yeah mom and dad, they’re all totally different games.”

Yup Gold and Silver were the golden age lol HG SS are the best in the franchise IMO. It was just enough new pokemon, some great new features like the breeding specifically, 2 new types to mix it up, and not one but two regions to explore. I get it's not for everyone, especially if you were an adult at the time, but i think there is definitely a reason it has survived this long and has such a following with kids and adults still playing it to this day. 

I would give fortnite a 5 or something, it's alright. It's the culture i hate surrounding fortnite vs the actual game itself. 

Edited by Magus
  • Like 3

Pokemon Red was amazing.  I put so much time into the game.  Multiple playthroughs early on, multiple passes of the elite four maxing out my party, even some time chasing glitches.

The Pokemon were cool and the world was interesting to me.  It felt varied and really gave the feeling of a large adventure.  The music was fantastic too.  It was the first game of its kind I played.  It took me years to discover RPGs and realize Pokemon was one.  Even as an adult I can go back in the form of Pokemon Yellow. I appreciate it differently now.

I remember the mew under a truck and someone claiming if you stood in front of a vending machine for an hour and hit A a door would open to a secret. None of it worked for me!

The only other Pokemon I have played is heart gold and sword.  I should really check out gold on Gameboy to compare.  Somehow it was never on my radar despite having Nintendo Power.

Edited by zeppelin03
  • Like 1

10/10 hands down. Pokemon Blue was my first video game ever that I owned and played for Nintendo. ❤️ 6 years old on Christmas day. Never will forget. It was just a league on its own and helped make me enjoy Pokemon throughout my whole life. Sure, it had its infamous glitches especially 256 lol.

Edited by Skorp
  • Like 1

it was weird for me....RBY hit at just the right time (around 10 years old) that I was hooked immediately but by the time GSC came around, I pretty much stopped caring. I had younger cousins who liked the show and all that and they were crazy about the gba years but I never got into it. The DS games helped pass time in the military I guess.... now Megaman Battle Network... there's a 10/10 game lol

• Like 2

They were excellent games, but had some quality of life issues fixed by Yellow and G/S/C. The slow pace and lack of colors being the biggest ones - hence the dual and triple speed modes in N64's Pokemon Stadium to play them. So 8/10 from me.

• Like 1

I was pretty harsh on it because I was feeling feisty and looking to get someone riled up.  In all honesty, I tried to play Pokemon Blue (which was my first pokemon game) about a year or so ago.  I guess I could see it's charm, but considering it's release time frame, I was just expecting more.  Maybe if you had already engaged the card game it would have been more fun in the 1990s?  I do recall seeing it back then and it seemed that younger kids (I was 16/17 when it came out) were interested in it.  But, to be fair, I was known by the younger kids at church and other places as being "that older kid that could help you with any video game".  I remember not being off put by Pokemon, slightly curious but not really motivated to buy the game and give it a try.  So I didn't.

When I tried it a couple years ago, I just felt underwhelmed.  Maybe it's a great franchise and I need to give Silver or Crystal a try since I have both of those, or if I the best experience I should step up to when the series had a really solid 3D title, but even though I can enjoy old games with a historical perspective, I just couldn't get into this title.  In all honesty, it was more just a "Meh" experience.

I hate to be a hater.  I actually do want to like this game.  I like "lazy" games and actually enjoyed the Harvest Moon series.  Even though this is a battling RPG game, the idea of running around collecting pokemon seems simple and lazy because there's so much you can choose to do.  Alas, it just didn't catch me.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

@RH 4/10 is not being a hater.  If that's how you feel, that's how you feel.  0/10 on the other hand ( which the other games have all received)...

Lol, no, my first comments were pretty harsh calling it an "overhyped glorified fetch quest".  I mean... I might feel that way personally, but I just assumed those would be fightin' words to someone.

You guys are getting to mellow in your old age.  No one wants to break an ale bottle at the mouth and start waving it at me?! Ok, I'm gonna take a nap in my recliner while I plug in Final Fantasy 3 in my SNES and just let the intro play on repeat...

Edited by RH
  • Like 1

Not for me. My friend at the time got red so I ended up getting blue so we could get all 151 Pokemon. I didn't really find the game that fun and haven't played a Pokemon game since except tournament for WiiU a few times. Never liked the franchise and I hate how much attention Nintendo gives it but I understand since it's their money printing machine.

• Like 2

Voted an 8 on it yesterday but never really put words to it.  Is the game perfect?  Definitely not, nor is it a killer game everyone should play.

But, what that game is, it's more than a game, it's a story, a world onto itself, and one at the time that was very unique, very fun, yet still then and even now an acquired taste.  It's not your normal RPG at all, it takes the aspects of collecting, growth, and a RPG all into one yet really drags out what needs to be done to get to be the best you can be to not only drop the story into the completed pile, but others as well.  In a way it's like a card game (which it was turned into obviously) even from the original Red and Blue.  The game is fun, it has layers, but they're never forced.  You could in theory play with a couple dozen at most and have a blast, just take more time leveling them so you can deal with the damage ratios by type a bit better, and that's all.  Back then the story wasn't over played and over done, wasn't a yearly rehash neither, it was fun and welcomed you to try a little more, do a little better.  But all you can say for it, if you're not one to collect, it could get old fairly quick if the story and play style isn't for you.  If you like a whole party to level up as you battle, this will drive you nuts as it's 6x over repetitive if not worse.  I can't call it an acquired taste, but you need to get into it or go away, perhaps just enjoy the TCG, cartoon, whatever else.

• Like 1

Y’all keep mentioning getting a 151  Pokédex but when did the Mew glitch become common knowledge? Seems like it was way later. Like after that game was relevant.

I only had a Mew (with some diseased stats) because my cousin duped me one from a Gameshark. I distinctly remember her saying that only Nintendo could put it on your cart, which sounds accurate in a post-56k modem / Wikipedia world today.

• Like 1

Speaking of Pokémon rumors, when I was a kid we were on a field trip and I had some kid tell me that if you gave a fire stone, water stone, or leaf stone to Charizard, Blastoise, and Venusaur respectively, that they had one more evolution. I believed it and told my brother who said I was dumb. I decided one day to show him up by giving Blastoise a water stone. Nothing happened, I was disappointed. My brother laughed.

Game Freak defended my honor in 2013 when they released Mega Evolution.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Omerta said:

Y’all keep mentioning getting a 151  Pokédex but when did the Mew glitch become common knowledge? Seems like it was way later. Like after that game was relevant.

I only had a Mew (with some diseased stats) because my cousin duped me one from a Gameshark. I distinctly remember her saying that only Nintendo could put it on your cart, which sounds accurate in a post-56k modem / Wikipedia world today.

There were IRL ways to get Mew at events (Toys R Us?) at the time. I'm not sure how they worked, I assume they just traded you a Mew from a special cart?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Omerta said:

I remember Mew and Missingno being a thing while it was popular.  A friend had a GameShark so that helped.

• Like 1

On 7/17/2020 at 10:05 AM, RH said:

You guys are getting to mellow in your old age.  No one wants to break an ale bottle at the mouth and start waving it at me?!

I wanted to at glorified fetch quest but, yes, I've mellowed lol I can see that angle behind legitimate. However you don't need to complete the gyms in order. I think Kygo, Erica and Sabrina can be completed in mixed up order. So mid game gives a sense of freedom mixed with the mystery of lavender town and the invasion of team rocket. 

I also think that if a casual fan played the remastereds they'd have a hard time going back to the originals. Heart Gold / Soul Silver are such excellent games, some of the best games in the franchise, and Leaf Green / Fire Red improve the original game mechanics as well as give a really nice graphics update.

I feel the originals also have a strong tie to the original Gameboy as the programming of Pokemon to make such a massive game playable on 10+ year old hardware is insane! (DMG released in April 1989, Pokemon yellow released September 1999). It's hard to like the Gameboy and not appreciate what Pokemon pulled off given the hardware. 

• Like 1

Probably the greatest thing I remember was discovering the Missingno thing on my own. Like it was before internet was a thing and Cheat Planet just was an infancy, so had no idea about it being a thing. I found out an item in my inventory had a weird number and from that point I was trying to see how I made that happen with my childhood friend testing so many hours and days on it as we realized it was a infinity number and got excited stating oh my gosh we need to do the rare candies! Lol. Good times.

• Like 1