IGNORED

Game Debate #6: Pokemon Red/Blue

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

52 members have voted

1. 1. See below for explanation of ratings

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. Maybe one of the best released that year.
    • 7/10 - Very good game, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but I'm interested.
    • Never played it, never will.

8/10 for me, although I'm technically cheating because I played Pokemon YELLOW and never the original Red/Blue proper. But still.

The short version is that when this game came out I was in high school and my friends were super into it but I was like "this looks like it's for kids" and ignored it. Fast forward ten years, and I finally played Pokemon Yellow on the GCN's Game Boy Player and following a guide and I had a blast with it. And in the years since I became more and more a Pokemon fan.

Last year I played Let's Go Pikachu which was a modern remake of Yellow, and I loved it again. But I still think the original game(s) has a ton of charm and there's reason enough to play that instead of the modern version as well.

Also, my daughter is one and I've been using her as an excuse to watch the new Pokemon show on Netflix. Whenever Pikachu comes on she smiles and says "kitty" which kills me.

Edited by noiseredux
  • Like 1

10. I foresee lots of 10's tbh judging by the average user age here. 

This game started it all and created a culture that is still going to this very day. The pokemon craze that took over was just insane if you were a kid during that time. Cards, games, movies, cartoons, toys, etc. You couldn't get away from it. 

The game itself was very fun and addicting as an 8 year old when it came out, and i still enjoy it now. Although i do choose to play FR and LG for the visual face lift. I can still remember the feeling of getting all 150 and the excitement of going to new areas and seeing what new monsters you could catch. Or the excitement of hearing all different rumors like the Mew hidden under the truck and then trying it out yourself only to realize it didn't exist, or actually finding out glitches like missingno weren't rumors at all and actually existed. 

I have poured literally hundreds, probably over a thousand hours into the first gen games over the last 20+ years. 

Edited by Magus
  • Like 2

When it was first released I didn't want to like it. On a summer trip that my family went on with some friends, one of the other kids was playing the game obsessively. He got stuck somewhere around Diglett's cave and got frustrated with it, so I took a turn. After that, I didn't want to put it down. Got a copy of Red as soon as I could.

• Like 1

Lots of hours destroyed here. Great memories with family and friends, too.

It’s not all nostalgia either. I spent a good portion of last year flying back and forth across the country. Found out that Leaf Green and 2nd / 3rd gen games still pass the time in a hurry. 9/10

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Magus said:

10. I foresee lots of 10's tbh judging by the average user age here. 

Given how the Fortnite thread went, I’m expecting a lot of 1’s. We’re becoming more and more “Get off my lawn!”-ish by the day. 😂

I rated it an 8. Gold and Silver were indeed better, in fact Gold and a teal GBC were the first gaming items I ever owned when my parents got them for me one Christmas.

I still remember convincing my parents to take me to Best Buy every once in awhile to get another Pokémon game - somehow I managed to con them into also getting me Red, Blue, Yellow, Silver, and Crystal.

”Yeah mom and dad, they’re all totally different games.”

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted

I actually haven't played them either.  Or any Pokemon for that matter.

I mean, why would you when Shin Megami Tensei exists?  And all of the giant penis monster, vagina monster, God, and Satan-slaying that comes with it?

But I do want to play through Red or Blue at some point.  For reference if nothing else.

• Like 3

10 for nostalgia and living through the craze at least, although I think Gold/Silver improve on them in every way, and HG/SS are the best in the franchise. It sure isn't balanced at all and doesn't have as many things to do as later games, but considering the platform I don't think I could ask for much more. My biggest issue with Pokemon is that it never really evolved far enough past the core gameplay of the first game and they're way too married to tradition, but I can't give that complaint to gen 1.

Also have to give mad props to the classic character design. Gen 1 Pokemon are pop culture icons. There's no dumbass flying ice cream cones or overdesigned 3 tailed, striped, ice armor dragons with webbed wings. There's a reason people can still rattle off and remember dozens of these Pokemon.

• Like 2

Never played it, or any other Pokemon game outside of the Pinball game for the GBA.  

I was just old enough when Pokemon came out that I knew it wasn't really for me.  If I had been 5 or 6 years younger, I bet I would have really been into it.  I really knew nothing about Pokemon until last year when my son started to get into it.  He enjoys the toys, cards and TV show, but he hasn't gotten into any games yet, outside of the same Pokemon Pinball I mentioned earlier.  Now I know way more about Pokemon then I ever thought I would.

• Like 1

Speaking of knowing anything about Pokemon.  My son today just found a Pokemon guessing game at a garage sale for $2.  You wear Pokemon cards on your head and everyone knows who you are except you, and you have to ask questions and figure out which Pokemon you are.  Guess what I'm doing this weekend?????

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

Speaking of knowing anything about Pokemon.  My son today just found a Pokemon guessing game at a garage sale for $2.  You wear Pokemon cards on your head and everyone knows who you are except you, and you have to ask questions and figure out which Pokemon you are.  Guess what I'm doing this weekend?????

Couldn't you play this with any set of Pokemon cards?

Average game that got a huge marketing push and tons of hype.  The game is suppose to have this deep paper rock scissor set-up, but I found it easy to just use my two best Pokémon’s best attacks, so why bother collecting 150 more filler characters.  Well is this a classic rpg story at least?  Nope characters say “I like your shoes” then fight you.

I guess it is fine in the “baby’s first rpg” like Mystic Quest kind of way.  If you played any rpgs before this, I think it would be hard to see what the fuss was about.

• Like 2