IGNORED

Does vertically standing boxes wear? Should they be laying down horizontally instead?

12 hours ago, cartman said:

Well i don't know about those PC games but every console game from Nintendo has either a plastic/cardboard trey or the cartridge itself filling out the inside of the box and thereby mitigating gravity. So yeah i don't know if you're example can be applied to these console boxes? Or how those PC boxes would've fared compared to if they stood up.

They depend, a lot of the earlier ones were just your thicker pressed paper stock style stuff and everything was just rattling around inside there in an otherwise hollow space. S ome may put a lower set piece of cardboard to keep a jewel case from banging around and cracking, etc, but normally they did not have a full blown caddy like Nintendo packaging did over time.  So often if you didn't store a PC game standing up like a book, they cave in over the years whether they're stacked adding more pressure or not.  In that case it would be the difference of having the sides blown out perhaps if it was thin stock quality box or something a big thicker or reinforced around the edges along with a strip of cardboard.

I've noticed displaying my games has slowly faded some of the spines due to sunlight.  Some were already sunfaded from video stores, but it's noticeably becoming more of an issue as the paper fades.  I store both vertically and horizontally and i don't find there's a noticeable impact on the condition either way otherwise.